Record Cable in Letterbox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've found that my SS will record DVD/BluRay playback from my BluRay player (LG BD390) using the composite input. The recording I get is "squashed" 4:3, such that if I change the aspect to 16:9 on the TV, I get a normal letterbox picture of decent (though not HD) quality, without side bars (nice if I want to mail the disk back before I'm done viewing it).

I've read here that some cable boxes work that way as well (Pace?), but my Motorola (Comcast) does not (no 'aspect' button), and I don't subscribe to HD now. Is there another way/device that will let me record "squashed" letterbox cable broadcasts on my RTV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

I've found that my SS will record DVD/BluRay playback from my BluRay player (LG BD390) using the composite input. The recording I get is "squashed" 4:3, such that if I change the aspect to 16:9 on the TV, I get a normal letterbox picture of decent (though not HD) quality, without side bars (nice if I want to mail the disk back before I'm done viewing it).
I've read here that some cable boxes work that way as well (Pace?), but my Motorola (Comcast) does not (no 'aspect' button), and I don't subscribe to HD now. Is there another way/device that will let me record "squashed" letterbox cable broadcasts on my RTV?

Both of my cable boxes have the "aspect" button, but:

1. It's a toggle, requiring seeing the output to get it right.

2. It's very forgetful, frequently reverting to the WRONG state for this. Since this is on a DVR, it could be days or more before I notice and a couple of dozen (or more) recordings wrong.

One of the cable boxes would work with a component (YUV) to composite converter. The other would not (YUV output still had letterbox). This is the newer box that supports 1080p.

For the other box, I tried a HDMI to composite converter (apparently the DRM would just mean 480i, wich you want anyway). It works with the HDMI output of the box limited to the proper resolution. 480i / 480p have letterboxing, 720p has SERIOUS overscan (cutting off peoples eyes not just hair). 1080i seems to be working OK.

BTW, to access the HDMI setting on the Pace box press 'menu' with the box "off" (more evidence that "off" is not off).
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page