Stream to multiple TVs using a single source - AVS Forum
ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs > Stream to multiple TVs using a single source
mubarak's Avatar mubarak 08:47 AM 08-23-2012
Hello all,
Our office is looking to purchase a few TVs (around 6). All these TVs will be internet ready and connected via 1Gbps ports over the Gigbit ethernet switches. We have various events happening in the office, and we would like to project the source to all the TVs in the building.

1. All TVs will be 1Gbps enabled with streaming services one.
  2. Source will always be either a
  3. Laptop
  4. or a camcorder

What we would like is that using some sort of media server, instead of using convertor, we stream it out to all the TVs, whichever the event may be displaying over the laptop or over the Camcorder gets to be shown to all 6 TVs set. Is it possible to have a single source stream out to all the TVs (in this case 6) by using some sort of media server?

Thanks,

Reden's Avatar Reden 09:33 AM 08-23-2012
They are Ethernet connected TVs and can probably play content identified by a DLNA server, but I think you would need to start the "show" on all those TV's manually..

Maybe there's an app on the TV to do what you want (seamless display of a IP broadcast w/o intervention), but I haven't heard of one.

A better solution is to save the money on network attached TVs and buy something like slingbox to connect via a line-in solution. That way you can simply share whatever is on the "master" to all the clients at once.

Robert
mubarak's Avatar mubarak 10:24 AM 08-23-2012
Thanks for the quick reply. For the DLNA server, any recommendations? I have not set one up before, however, it shouldnt be too difficult. hopefully. For the Slingbox, does it support HDMI input or also a camcorder input?

Thanks,
Reden's Avatar Reden 10:33 PM 08-24-2012
I'm not a real fan of DLNA... I know Windows Media Player includes a DLNA server, so any windows box will work. (Biggest complaint is Show Title/Subtitle seem screwed up to me)

With DLNA I think a "show" will need to be started by each TV and the various TVs won't be in sync (It's not live).

I think slingbox has multiple models, but it's really more designed for what you're looking for.

Robert
jweinel's Avatar jweinel 08:50 AM 08-25-2012
I have two of the current Slingbox models (Solo and Pro HD) and they do not have HDMI (only component and composite).
mlloyd's Avatar mlloyd 08:45 PM 08-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubarak View Post

Hello all,
Our office is looking to purchase a few TVs (around 6). All these TVs will be internet ready and connected via 1Gbps ports over the Gigbit ethernet switches. We have various events happening in the office, and we would like to project the source to all the TVs in the building.
  1. All TVs will be 1Gbps enabled with streaming services one.
  2. Source will always be either a
  3. Laptop
  4. or a camcorder
What we would like is that using some sort of media server, instead of using convertor, we stream it out to all the TVs, whichever the event may be displaying over the laptop or over the Camcorder gets to be shown to all 6 TVs set. Is it possible to have a single source stream out to all the TVs (in this case 6) by using some sort of media server?
Thanks,

A media server would be complicated use compared to what I use (to have the same thing on all TVs).

I use a modulator to put the video signal on channel 77 (otherwise unused here) and distribute that to the TVs. This signal is mixed with cable so any TV can get any (analog or clear QAM) channel OR the common one on 77. Remote control is with a RF control and a device that converts it to IR for the source components (Replay, DVD player, security DVR, internet streaming device, etc...).
rlichtefeld's Avatar rlichtefeld 07:47 AM 08-27-2012
If you want to go the re-broadcast route, this is what I used for year: http://myavcast.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=85

The only problem is that I have Charter cable, and they went to 1Ghz from 900Mhz, and this system doesn't pass through the higher frequencies from the outside world.

I still have the system boxed up. if you are interested, let me know.

Rob
mlloyd's Avatar mlloyd 11:42 AM 08-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post

If you want to go the re-broadcast route, this is what I used for year: http://myavcast.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=85
The only problem is that I have Charter cable, and they went to 1Ghz from 900Mhz, and this system doesn't pass through the higher frequencies from the outside world.
I still have the system boxed up. if you are interested, let me know.
Rob

My system is similar, except for the IR part. The first thing I tried for that as these little "pyramids" that convert between IR and RF signals. The noise problem became excessive (where I had to reposition those things every hour or even more often). Then I tried something like you used. I'm not sure why I don't anymore, maybe because I got some remotes that have a RS232 port making it easy to program them the same.

This setup has been reliable, every TV shows the same thing (when set to channel 77).

I get the idea that you just got a "system" and don't understand what's really going on. I got the components that did what I need, and would have no trouble adapting to some change. I have done this before (My modulated channel has been 90 before, I just replaced the notch filter and adjusted the modulator).
rlichtefeld's Avatar rlichtefeld 02:19 PM 08-27-2012
I understand what the system I purchased did. And, I used it for several years, and I changed the re-broadcast channel several times as Charter moved channels around. I have a full set of notch filters that block multiple "blocks" of channels.

It's just that Charter changed what they did in a way that doesn't allow these to work any more on my setup. I was offering them to the OP as a full system in a box. Or, at least offering a solution that is ready made, either from me or the AvCast people.

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

My system is similar, except for the IR part. The first thing I tried for that as these little "pyramids" that convert between IR and RF signals. The noise problem became excessive (where I had to reposition those things every hour or even more often). Then I tried something like you used. I'm not sure why I don't anymore, maybe because I got some remotes that have a RS232 port making it easy to program them the same.
This setup has been reliable, every TV shows the same thing (when set to channel 77).
I get the idea that you just got a "system" and don't understand what's really going on. I got the components that did what I need, and would have no trouble adapting to some change. I have done this before (My modulated channel has been 90 before, I just replaced the notch filter and adjusted the modulator).

Up
Mobile  Desktop