Prefer 5040 or 5504? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Frustrated with dialup, I see several 5040s and 5504s for sale. They seem broadly comparable; any preference? How does the fan noise compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
50xx. Automatic commercial advance FTW.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, does the automatic advance work well? I see the 55xx has a semi-automatic advance, & both would be better than my SS. :-)

Still wonder if the online Guide connection is ok, and if there's any difference in fan noise?
post #4 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 AM

Liked: 10
I've never heard the fan inside mine. but does not mean you wont.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Automatic advance works well. The 55xx changed that to require that you push the button--but when you're lying there half asleep, that's annoying.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There haven't been any issues with the non-dialup guide service from DNNA since their threat to discontinue support a year ago (as far as I know). Just checked one of my 5040's and it's DNNA-supplied guide has over 11 days of future programming. (I have one unit set for connection to DNNA and the rest serviced through WiRNS and SchedulesDirect.) I agree that the commercial advance works very well. It is the main reason that I run three 5040's continuously and prefer them over Time Warner DVR's for day-to-day routine viewing. I do switch my HDTV's over to a TWC box when the quality matters. I have no fan issues and one unit is in a bedroom.

----------
Jim
post #7 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
jlv

I have one of each. The 5040 says Sonic Blue and I purchased from DNNA refurb'd. The 5540 I bought new.

There's no difference in the two units what-so-ever. The amount of fan noise is negligible for both.

If you have cable or sat, the existing DNNA guide data works fine. If you are OTA (like me), then you can use WiRNS to either remap a cable lineup to meet your needs, or use WiRNS with Schedules Direct.

Technically, the 55xx units have CA and IVS disabled. However, that is easily remedied and (AFAIK) most folks with 55xx units have these enabled.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Up until the very last software version, they were easily enabled via a "mothership proxy", such as provided by WiRNS. The last official software version (5.1 v144) made that trick not work. The fix to that is to revert the software to an earlier version, and use WiRNS to re-enable the features and prevent software updates.

(Thus the only advantage of the 5040 over the 5540 is that you get CA and IVS without needing to do anything)
post #8 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for all the detailed answers; going RTV hunting on Craigslist.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
I have a 5504 with 200 Gig drive and lifetime I would sell for $50.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

jlv said " most folks with 55xx units have (CA) enabled."

I'll bite; how is this done?
post #11 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

I don't know about "most", but I would suggest start reading here. In addition there is a post on here with an image which gives the 55xx this capability with the latest software fixes. It can also be loaded on the 55xx by reading here. But, no matter how you get the software on the 55xx, you still have to use something like WiRNS to activate it and keep it activated. If you allow the unit to connect to DNNA, it will turn off the feature (not remove it), and you'll have to connect to WiRNS again to reactivate it...
post #12 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh, that's illuminating, Lurker, and your links were quite helpful; thanks. I would be using DNNA (as long as it lasts), since I'm on cable, thus keeping CA on a 55xx isn't going to fly. :-(

So does CA on a 50xx survive a connection to DNNA, or does it get 'upgraded' out of existence?
post #13 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM

Commercial Advance was an intended feature of the 50xx series and it shouldn't be (hasn't been or maybe can't be) turned-off. The 55xx models were CA-disabled as a result of entertainment/advertising industry legal action against the company.

----------
Jim
post #14 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I would be using DNNA (as long as it lasts), since I'm on cable, thus keeping CA on a 55xx isn't going to fly. :-(

You have to use something like WiRNS in order to enable IVS/CA on a 55xx, so there's no reason that you can't use WiRNS2 with DNNA for however long that lasts, and then upgrade to WiRNS3. That way you'd be more prepared if you wanted/needed to quit using DNNA...
Quote:

So does CA on a 50xx survive a connection to DNNA, or does it get 'upgraded' out of existence?

It depends on how you add IVS/CA to your 55xx. If you use the posted image or WiRNS' software upgrade, then it will survive connection to DNNA and only turn off the feature. If you use one of the other methods to install an earlier version of software that supports IVS/CA on a 55xx (except that it will be disabled), then connecting to DNNA will likely upgrade the feature away...
post #15 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I really did mean to ask if CA would survive connection to DNNA on a 50xx, such as a 5040, on which CA was native, AIUI. Although not a RTV expert, I am grateful for the explanations on how to add patches and software variations. It's just that 5xxx's are available for a song locally, and take far less time to buy than RTV surgery would entail (for me, at least ;-) ).

(FWIW, I understand but do not use the Quote protocol because 99% of my AVS access is thru the Tapatalk app, which does not render the quote graphics at all)
post #16 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
I have both a 5040 and a 5504. CA is available on both without modification; the only difference is you can set the 5040 to skip the commercials automatically without ever touching the remote, but on the 5504 you need to press a button once to skip to the end of the current commercials.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I really did mean to ask if CA would survive connection to DNNA on a 50xx, such as a 5040, on which CA was native, AIUI.

Connecting to DNNA from a 50xx turns ON IVS/CA. Connecting to DNNA from a 55xx turns OFF IVS/CA. Only a 55xx requires something like WiRNS to turn on the feature since connecting to DNNA turns it off...
post #18 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweinel View Post

There haven't been any issues with the non-dialup guide service from DNNA since their threat to discontinue support a year ago (as far as I know).

You don't remember the issue earlier this month, when the guide wasn't updating past August 22? It was in this thread.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Sorry, maybe it was a geographic issue. I did not have any noticeable guide issue and menu>messages does not show any alert to an inability to contact the mothership.

----------
Jim
post #21 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM

The Ethernet-connected units wouldn't have noticed a problem unless they specifically looked in their Channel Guide several days in the future. Since DNNA was still serving EPG, just not updating the EPG, there were no errors of any kind. There were very few people who even noticed that there was a problem in that the EPG wasn't updatting for the Ethernet-connected units, especially since the "outage" was only for about 4 days, and the Ethernet-connected units store 12 days of EPG...
post #22 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Lurker, I stand corrected!

----------
Jim
post #23 of 26 Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: *MY* Personal Opinion on Upgrading to a 50XX vs 55XX...
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

Quote:

I really did mean to ask if CA would survive connection to DNNA on a 50xx, such as a 5040, on which CA was native, AIUI.

Connecting to DNNA from a 50xx turns ON IVS/CA. Connecting to DNNA from a 55xx turns OFF IVS/CA. Only a 55xx requires something like WiRNS to turn on the feature since connecting to DNNA turns it off...
  2. Quote:

Frustrated with dialup, I see several 5040s and 5504s for sale. They seem broadly comparable; any preference? How does the fan noise compare?
  3. Quote:

4. Quote:

Quote:

I don't know about "most", but I would suggest start reading here. In addition there is a post on here with an image which gives the 55xx this capability with the latest software fixes. It can also be loaded on the 55xx by reading here. But, no matter how you get the software on the 55xx, you still have to use something like WiRNS to activate it and keep it activated. If you allow the unit to connect to DNNA, it will turn off the feature (not remove it), and you'll have to connect to WiRNS again to reactivate it...
  5. Quote:

Quote:

I would be using DNNA (as long as it lasts), since I'm on cable, thus keeping CA on a 55xx isn't going to fly. :-(

You have to use something like WiRNS in order to enable IVS/CA on a 55xx, so there's no reason that you can't use WiRNS2 with DNNA for however long that lasts, and then upgrade to WiRNS3. That way you'd be more prepared if you wanted/needed to quit using DNNA...
  6. Quote:

It depends on how you add IVS/CA to your 55xx. If you use the posted image or WiRNS' software upgrade, then it will survive connection to DNNA and only turn off the feature. If you use one of the other methods to install an earlier version of software that supports IVS/CA on a 55xx (except that it will be disabled), then connecting to DNNA will likely upgrade the feature away...
  7. Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpratt View Post

I have both a 5040 and a 5504. CA is available on both without modification; the only difference is you can set the 5040 to skip the commercials automatically without ever touching the remote, but on the 5504 you need to press a button once to skip to the end of the current commercials.
[OPINION]
  • Since JUN / JUL 2011, *ALL* 5XXXs became "Lifetime" - so, don't pay a PREMIUM for Lifetime vs Monthly.
  • 55XXs can*EASILY* (well, depending on YOUR Technical Ability) be "converted" to 50XXs:
    1. You *MUST* use WiRNS!
      - There are *TWO* versions of WiRNS:
      • WiRNS 2.X: Gets its Guide Data *FREE* from DNNA; is NO LONGER being updated.
      • WiRNS 3.X: Gets its Guide Data from 'Schedules Direct' @ $25/yr; is CONSTANTLY being updated.
    2. If you use v140 (or earlier) software, *IF* your 55XX connects *DIRECTLY* to DNNA, it will be upgraded to 'Vanilla' 5XXX v144 - i.e. NO IVS / CA for 55XX units.
    3. If you use "Ryan's v144+ Custom" software, *IF* your 55XX connects *DIRECTLY* to DNNA, it will NOT be upgraded to 'Vanilla' 5XXX v144 - i.e. NO IVS / CA for 55XX units. But, without WiRNS, CA / IVS *WILL* be turned off.
      - SEARCH the JUN / JUL 2011 "DNNA Is Going Away" (paraphrased) thread for the LINK.
    4. There are *TWO* versions of the 50xx:
      1. The *OLD* version CONTINUOUSLY runs the fan @ High (and, IIRC, has a "Socketed" EPROM).
      2. The *NEW* version doesn't even start the fan until it has successfully booted. From that point on, the fan runs @ Low, just like a 55XX.
  • ...You have to use something like WiRNS eek.gif
    - *PLEASE*, SOMEONE name another program! ROTFLOLbiggrin.gif
[/OPINION]
Has anyone else noticed that the KNOWLEDGE BASE of Newbie "ReplayLurker" closely resembles that of the *DEPARTED* "HDonzis"?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #24 of 26 Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM
jlv

Quote:

I put one link to start at in a "spoiler" box. ReplayLurker gave you some related links. ClearToLand gave good background information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post

This is only true if you do not enable CA & IVS on the 55xx as discussed in the above links.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

You have to use something like WiRNS eek.gif

Any of the RNS proxies can do this, like Ian's RNS proxy. Even FlipFlop's boot CD can do this. Anything that can load the shellcmds, such as the boot CD, can do this...
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that the KNOWLEDGE BASE of Newbie "ReplayLurker" closely resembles that of the *DEPARTED* "HDonzis"?

Just because I recently joined this forum doesn't make me a newbie! Since I'm new to this forum, I don't know what you are referring to and don't know if it is a compliment or not, but I have been interested with RTV technology for years, am using a lot of the RTV tools, and happen to to have gathered quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. I just was never really interested in forums until some of the recent problems with the RTV EPG and I saw this forum and decided to join it...
post #26 of 26 Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

You have to use something like WiRNS eek.gif

What about something like this, which says it does just that?
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page