Slow Poopli Downloads using Netgear JFS524 Switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I download a show from another Poopli user using a Netgear JFS524 switch between the router and the RTV, the speed is consistently 3 to 4 times (300-400%) slower than without the switch. So having router <-> switch <-> RTV is much slower than router <-> RTV. For testing purpose, I did not have anything else connected to the switch and I tried a second JFS524 switch with the same results. speedtest.net was only about 3 to 4% slower when I replaced the RTV with a PC and compared the speeds with/without the switch.

Because speedtest.net was not significantly slower, Netgear is saying it is not them and it is a RTV compatibility problem. This is what they said:
There isn't any thing that can be done in regards to the issue as the switch is performing correctly based on customer own testing via computer.

The issue lies specifically with DVR equipment NIC or possible causes could be the way the switch does flow control.

The switch does support flow control 802.3x full duplex flow control. It could the DVR NIC do not behave correctly with flow control enabled on the switch leading to slow speed but again the possible causes would be limited to how NIC. The switch ASIC is complaint with both 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX standard and we have not seen any other issues with JFS524 for Another possible cause would older embedded driver on DVR for NIC may have poor flow control implementation.

I suggest customer try a different cable or check to see if the vendor of DVR has updated firmware as the Switch itself is likely not the cause the issue.

It's not the cable as I have the same problem on two RTVs. Are there any RTV settings that I should be trying? Or any firmware updates that I need to apply?

Jamie
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page