Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

I was a long, long time replay person with a total of 8 between me and my family. None of us have cable, either. Anyway, a 47" flatscreen brought me into HD, and thus into WMC with a couple Xbox extenders. With work, they mimic the functionality of the replay very nicely (thank you comskip!).

I return here for networking help. I used to have an Alltel data card connected to a Cradlepoint router and dynamic DNS. I ran DVA and WiRNS and had remote access to both. The WMC equivalent is Remote Potato, which I also run and had access to remotely, even with an app designed for it on my Razr.

Well, Alltel sucked it up and sold out to Verizon. So now I have the exact same setup as before, except with a Verizon data card. Well come to find out, with Verizon I am given a 10.x.x.x IP address instead of the public IP my Alltel data card had.

What can I do? I can't access any of my stuff (no surprise) except for my logmein clients. My understanding would be that since the LMI client establishes the connection from inside, it is allowed. Since it is a constant connection, when I go to use it I use the already-existing "path" into the network. That got me thinking about another service that maybe?!!?!?! exists that might work the same way for "everything else". I need a tunnel, on each forwarded port, to a server somewhere with a public IP.

I've searched and searched, and can't find anything. I need a networking guy/girl!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They replaced your external router with a card for your PC? Tell them you want an external modem (or router)!

I assume this card takes coax in and appears to the PC as a network interface?

BTW, if this is already in your router and they now give you a private address, it's probably because their terms of service forbid running a server and they don't think you need a public address.

Tell them your company VPN isn't working and your IT department says you need a public address. It may not help, but I know hotels offer a public address for some VPN cases... maybe it will work here smile.gif

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

They replaced your external router with a card for your PC? Tell them you want an external modem (or router)!

I assume this card takes coax in and appears to the PC as a network interface?
Reden, what they have is not conventional HighSpeed. What they have is a Cellular type service, so there is no router persay. There are Hotspts that Verizon sells, which the OP needs to contact VZ to get.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting... I think my asking for a public access (so a VPN would work) is a good idea.

Personally I've never used a VPN that required a public address, but since hotels offer it, there must be some out there.

Robert

---
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I provide the router. The internet source is a usb card. Similar to a mifi for the purposes of this discussion.

Modem----> router----> network
Just like anybody's network.

I can ask for a public i.p., but I already know the answer. Sadly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

I
I can ask for a public i.p., but I already know the answer. Sadly.

If you say you need it for a work VPN, you might just get it. Wouldn't surprise me if those are the key words.

Good luck!

Robert

---
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page