Is schedule guide now available for 5xxx units wihout Lifetime Subscription? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe someone can help me. I could've sworn I read somewhere along the line that even Replay units WITHOUT the Lifetime Subscription (that are ethernet-capable) are now able to download the schedule guide. I've been trying to search the forums, but can't confirm it. One of my 5040 units died and I've got the chance to buy another cheap, but it was a monthly subscription machinne.

Should I buy it or is it a brick? Or would I have to do some serious hacking to make it work?

Thanks to anyone who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM

Currently, DNNA is providing all Replays the guide data for free. So, all Replays are essentially lifetime Replays.
Also, there are alternatives to the guide data and WiRNS and LaHo (search for these) can provide this to your Replays.
If and when DNA does shut down their guide service, you will still be able to get guide day for about $20/year.

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, rlichtefeld. I wasn't sure if it was true or not (or if I'd just made it up), so great to have it confirmed. I've read about WIRNS, but am sketchy on the details. Gllad I won't have to go down that road... at least not yet, anyway. Now I can't believe any Replay with a heartbeat hasn't been scooped up off eBay. (At least the non-dial-up ones. I'm hearing those folks are still having some problems.)

Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM

You might also want to note that since the company released the encryption keys back when they were about to turn off service, it should be possible to activate any unit, so being an actual Lifetime unit does not matter so much, even if the providers were not generously providing data for all.

If the data providers wanted to get tough -- and there is zero indication of this -- there is the purely theoretical possibility that they could still make it difficult for "fake" activations, but this is very improbable.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page