Connecting Replay 5540 to Comcast DCH70 and/or Pace DTA DC50X - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spent most of the past few days trying to figure out how use Replay (5540) with either the Comcast DCH70 STB or DTA DC50X (made by Pace). Like many others, I previously split the "cable in" and ran one through the Comcast STB and the other through the Replay (bipassing the STB), and this was allowing me to record channels 2-30 with Replay, and to view all channels (but not record) using the STB. On 25 Sep, Comcast made a change locally which put the Replay out of business (no longer getting any signal on 2-30). Is there an easy way to use RTV to either of these devices so that I can again start recording? I would prefer a setup that allows me to watch a different channel than I'm recording, but anything that will allow me to record again will be fine. I've read all the posts concerning taking the hard drive out of RTV and the hard drive out of my computer and downloading a file, but all that stuff is way over my head, so I'm looking for something simple, if that even exists. I have the original IR blaster cable that came with RTV and can see exactly where it is supposed to be taped on the DCH70 (even though the part that fits over the IR sensor seems awfully small.) I watched a youtube video explaining how to hook up the DTA DC50X with RTV, but could not tell from the video exactly where the IR blaster is supposed to be taped to it. If anyone can tell me the exact hookup of the cables for either device, and then how to set up the IR blaster with the proper code, it would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer, you can send me an email at rdlewis2006@live.com. Many thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 PM

To get your RTV to be able to control the Comcast DTA, you should read this post and follow the instructions at the bottom of that post about "instructions for networked ReplayTVs". That will get you code 1982 installed to be able to control the Comcast DTA. Then you can either use the IR Blaster that came with your 5504 or 5040 (there's no 5540) to control the DTA as has been explained in this thread, or you can use a Gray's cable to direct connect from the ReplayTV to the Comcast DTA, which you can read about in that same thread, or a little more in this thread...

So, instead of splitting the cable, you'd run it only into the DTA and then into the ReplayTV. You'd have to watch TV through the ReplayTV, and could not watch one show while recoridng another. If you want to have separate control of watching and recording, then you'd have to get two DTAs and leave your cable split and add a DTA between the ReplayTV and the splitter. Basically, as you can well imagine, you now need a DTA between your coax and any device with an analog tuner...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

ReplayLurker:
Thanks, yes my RTV is the model 5040 ... typed in the wrong number in my post. I think I've read many of the posts you referenced, but was trying to get confirmation on the best current solution since a lot of the posts I looked at were dated. I'll definitely take another look at the posts you referenced (I remember reading about code 1982 and thought that sounded like a logical solution and the youtube video I watched also came up with that solution) and give that a try tomorrow. The only thing that was not clear to me about the youtube video was exactly where on the DTA DC50X that the IR Blaster gets taped, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it tomorrow. One final question: what role, if any, does the Comcast (Motorola) DCH70 STB play? Will the Pace DTA work independent of the DCH70? Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtcC View Post

The only thing that was not clear to me about the youtube video was exactly where on the DTA DC50X that the IR Blaster gets taped, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it tomorrow. One final question: what role, if any, does the Comcast (Motorola) DCH70 STB play? Will the Pace DTA work independent of the DCH70? Thanks again for your help.

If you read the long thread I posted, there are posts from MikeyBoy and ClearToLand discussing this, like this one. In addition, the video shows a bit of how he did it (it looks to me like he used something to hold the blaster in front of the DTA). You could also post to his video thread asking how he placed it. But, I think using the Gray's cable is the best way to go. You might want to use the IR Blaster for confirmation that it all works properly, but I would get a Gray's cable for the permanent installation...

Looking up the DCH70, it looks like it is a normal STB for your full digital lineup viewing. The DTA is simply a simplified STB which just doesn't have many features and a limited lineup selection, typically for viewing the "analog" lineup versus the entire digital lineup. As I explained above, you can have as many independent video feeds as you want to split. This is no different than having multiple STBs in your home in different rooms. If you want to have two in the same room, that doesn't matter. So, if you want to use the STB for your TV to give it full viewing, and the DTA in line to the 5040 to allow it to independently record the "analog" lineup, then that should be no problem. This is where having the Gray's cable might come into play, however, so that the remote for the STB doesn't interfere with the DTA control. You also wouldn't want the 5040 IR Blaster accidentally interfering with the STB operation either. So, you'll end up with two IR remote devices next to each other and you'll need to make sure that remote control operation doesn't interfere with each other...
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

ReplayLurker: Thanks again for your information. I just ordered the Gray's cable from eBay and it should be here mid-week. In the meantime, I've gone back and reread all the posts you pointed out and now have a clearer understanding of what I need to do. In the meantime, I plan to experiment with the IR blaster that came with my RTV and try to get the DTA working that way. Otherwise, I'll just wait until Gray's cable arrives.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ReplayLurker: Thanks again for your information. I just ordered the Gray's cable from eBay and it should be here mid-week. In the meantime, I've gone back and reread all the posts you pointed out and now have a clearer understanding of what I need to do. In the meantime, I plan to experiment with the IR blaster that came with my RTV and try to get the DTA working that way. Otherwise, I'll just wait until Gray's cable arrives.

ReplayLurker: I just finished setting up the ReplayTV (5040) using the Comcast (Pace) DC50X DTA. I used a splitter and connected one cable input to the Motorola DCH70 STB and the other to the DTA and then the Replay TV. After following all the instructions you provided for "Networked Replay TVs", and then selecting IR Blaster code 1982, I have my Replay back!!! The way it's set up now, I still have the option of watching a different program than I'm recording (thanks to the splitter and STB). Thanks so much for your help. Now I can go on vacation, knowing that all my favorite programs will be recorded and waiting for me when I get back!!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Now I can go on vacation, knowing that all my favorite programs will be recorded and waiting for me when I get back!!

Once you get the Gray's cable, you'll have even more confidence in the overall operation!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page