Why doesn't my IR blaster work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated my 3000 series dialup replay TV to work with my Comcast digital to analog converter box. I went through the full process, grabbed the new code (1982) from Laho, and setup the Ant/Cable input to use a cable box on channel 3 with IR blaster code 1982. It seemed like everything went smoothly. But the ReplayTV will not change channels on the Comcast DTA. So I tried three different IR blaster cables. No go on any of them. One of the cables is the one I'm using on my 5000 series ReplayTV that I just successfully converted to work with the Comcast digital box last night - so it's confirmed working. I also confirmed that the Comcast DTA box is working by controlling it directly with its own remote.

Then I focused my digital camera on the output of the IR blaster while trying to get my 3000 series ReplayTV box to change channels. I saw no output from the IR blaster. Just to confirm, I repeated the experiment with the same IR blaster on my 5000 series ReplayTV and was able to see the IR blaster flashing in my digital camera.

So it seems clear the 3000 series unit is not putting *any* signal into the IR blaster - but I can't figure out why. I noticed the back of the 3000 series unit also has a serial connection port right next to the IR blaster port. Is there a chance it's somehow configured to try and control my cable box through the serial port and is ignoring the IR blaster port?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the serial port has never worked for cable boxes, it only worked for a few satellite boxes.

It sounds like either your RTV's IR Blaster controller os broken or the IR Blaster cable is bad.

post #3 of 30 Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Can't be a bad cable because I tried three IR blasters on it. One of them was subsequently tested on my 5040 successfully. I don't suppose there's any typical problem I should look for on the motherboard?
post #4 of 30 Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Liked: 12
But was the blaster working before you tried to set up the DTA?
post #5 of 30 Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

But was the blaster working before you tried to set up the DTA?

Don't know. I never had any reason to try it before the DTA. I wonder what would happen if I were to try a different code???
post #6 of 30 Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 12
Good idea. Try that, and make sure everything in Setup is ok. I've used IR code 0476 on a (Motorola/Comcast) STB for my SS for a long time, so the blaster should at least light up if it's not a hardware problem.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Check the custom blaster settings. The Replay may have reset to default after connecting your DTA as a new device. 0476 works for a Motorola code, so should 0276.

Arvy
post #8 of 30 Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporked View Post

I just updated my 3000 series dialup replay TV to work with my Comcast digital to analog converter box. I went through the full process, grabbed the new code (1982) from Laho, and setup the Ant/Cable input to use a cable box on channel 3 with IR blaster code 1982. It seemed like everything went smoothly. But the ReplayTV will not change channels on the Comcast DTA. So I tried three different IR blaster cables. No go on any of them. One of the cables is the one I'm using on my 5000 series ReplayTV that I just successfully converted to work with the Comcast digital box last night - so it's confirmed working. I also confirmed that the Comcast DTA box is working by controlling it directly with its own remote.
Then I focused my digital camera on the output of the IR blaster while trying to get my 3000 series ReplayTV box to change channels. I saw no output from the IR blaster. Just to confirm, I repeated the experiment with the same IR blaster on my 5000 series ReplayTV and was able to see the IR blaster flashing in my digital camera.
So it seems clear the 3000 series unit is not putting *any* signal into the IR blaster - but I can't figure out why. I noticed the back of the 3000 series unit also has a serial connection port right next to the IR blaster port. Is there a chance it's somehow configured to try and control my cable box through the serial port and is ignoring the IR blaster port?
Thanks for any help.

EXACTLY like sporked, I have a 3000 series dial-up ReplayTV, and last night, I followed the exact same process of getting the 1982 code from LAHO. Similarly, everything during the 39-step process went well. When I attempted to test its operation, I noticed something a bit troubling: When I select a different channel from the ReplayTV Channel Guide, I would expect that the ReplayTV would NOT switch the internal tuner from channel 3 (my choice of either 2, 3, or 4), but instead activate the IR blaster using code 1982. What happens when I select a different channel on the ReplayTV channel guide is that the internal tuner channel is CHANGED, and my signal from the DTA box is therefore blocked. I can't tell whether or not the IR code 1982 is being emitted, because the tuner channel is being changed; consequently, it wouldn't make a difference even if the correct code was being transmitted.

Can anyone comment, please?
post #9 of 30 Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have multiple inputs set up? If you do, many channels will appear twice in your channel lineup, once for each input source. It sounds like you're selecting the channel from the direct lineup instead of the DTA lineup.

If you're doing everything with the DTA now, make sure all your other inputs are set to Nothing.

post #10 of 30 Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

That's worth checking. I think I have other inputs that don't have channels associated with them - like RCA inputs.

Thanks for the tip.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I've now tried disabling all other inputs, rebooting, using a standard IR blaster code, and checking the connections on the mother-board. No luck so far.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia51 View Post

I can't tell whether or not the IR code 1982 is being emitted, because the tuner channel is being changed; consequently, it wouldn't make a difference even if the correct code was being transmitted.

As you said, it won't help to learn that the IR blaster is working, but if you want to check it anyway... look at the IR blaster with a digital camera. If it's working you should see it flashing in the LCD display of the camera. Just to make sure the camera is sensitive to the IR you might first want to look at a regular TV remote with it.

But I suspect if the unit is changing channels on its internal tuner, it's probably not sending commands to the blaster. As was mentioned, make sure your other inputs show nothing attached - at least for the experiment.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i did not read every reply here but i want to point out that the end of the ir blaster has to touch the end of the ir receiver wire. i stuck mine back to back on their sticky sides. the signal is so weak that it wont be received by the ir reciever of the dta even if its only an inch apart.---d
post #14 of 30 Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

When you're setting the code, the RTV sends an on/off code to the DTA. Does this test work?

post #15 of 30 Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post

When you're setting the code, the RTV sends an on/off code to the DTA. Does this test work?

I don't think so - but I replaced the 3000 series unit with a 5040 about two days ago. I gave up on the problem after trying everything I could think of.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post

the dta has no on or of its always on
post #17 of 30 Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post

the dta has no on or of its always on

Correct, my DTA has no ON/OFF switch
post #18 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm having the same problem with a Panasonic Showstopper. I followed the 36 steps from http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16311&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0, was able to confirm that the installation completed but I couldn't control my DTA from the DVR.

One thing that wasn't clear was exactly which code to use for my DTA. I have a DCI105COM1, and I tried several codes--no luck.

But here's thing: I have used my IR Blaster before, in 2009, as an experiment with a couple of CECBs (digital over the air adapters), and it worked with them. (If not perfectly.) But now when I set the IR blaster to any code and do a test, I can't see the emitter blinking with my digital camera. Not sure if I was able to before, but I do see the blinking on e.g. a remote control.

I've tried several cable box codes. I've also tried a few satellite box codes--just testing the on/off signal that you can try during set up, since I didn't want to go through the whole schedule download.

At this point I'm wondering if the LaHo update has disabled the IR blaster on (some) older ReplayTVs/Showstoppers.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilen View Post

I can't see the emitter blinking with my digital camera. Not sure if I was able to before, but I do see the blinking on e.g. a remote control.

With my digital camera I could see other remotes, and I could see the IR blaster plugged into my 5040, but could not see the IR blaster on my 3000. Not sure why, but I never did get it working on my 3000.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Yes, that would be consistent with the LaHo update somehow disabling IR blaster. My new datum is that I know that my IR blaster did work in the past; unfortunately I didn't think to test it right before doing the update. I wonder if a factory reset would at least get the IR blaster back.

I'd sort of hate to do that, though--there are a bunch of shows I'd either lose, or have to offload to VHS (yuck). Maybe you could test?
post #21 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, that would be consistent with the LaHo update somehow disabling IR blaster. My new datum is that I know that my IR blaster did work in the past; unfortunately I didn't think to test it right before doing the update. I wonder if a factory reset would at least get the IR blaster back.

I'd sort of hate to do that, though--there are a bunch of shows I'd either lose, or have to offload to VHS (yuck). Maybe you could test?

The closest thing I know to a factory reset is the reboot when you hold the power button for 10 seconds. For me that didn't solve it.

I've still got a few shows we want to watch off the old 3000, so not quite ready to do a full EMP on it.

RC
post #22 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM

You could alway try putting a small test drive (at least 1GB) with a factory fresh image on it to see if that makes the IR Blaster work again. Then you can put the original drive back in after you are done.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping someone will be able to confirm that they've done a successful LaHo update on a Showstopper or modem-based ReplayTV, or that we'll hear from more people with the same problem. Meanwhile sounds like Sporked and I are in the same situation but FYI for anyone reading this thread, a factory reset is 777-Zones according to several sites. E.g. http://www.widemovies.com/replaytv.html

I don't recommend doing this unless you're prepared to lose all the data and settings on the unit.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

sounds like Sporked and I are in the same situation...

True, but I gave up early. For $50 I could have a 5040 with a 120 Gig HD that networks to my other machine and lets me watch either machine from upstairs or downstairs. I ultimately decided I could live a meaningful life and die happy even with the mystery of the failed IR blaster hanging over my head.

Which reminds me - anyone want to buy a 3000 unit with a 120 Gig HD and a broken IR blaster. $50 today only smile.gif
post #25 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

ewilen pinged me and asked me to jump in here. I did some of the beta testing for the LaHo upgrade that is currently in circulation, so I can confirm that it works but it's been a while since I did it, and just like sporked I have also retired all of my Showstoppers and replaced them with cheak R5k units purchased for under $50 in ebay. I was just having too many dial-up problems with the old units.

If pulling the drive from your units is practical, another option is to load the code yourself, which is really easy to do once you have your ReplayTV drive attached to your PC. But, this shouldn't be necessary if the LaHa option works. For technical support for the LaHa option, I would recommend that you post your questions at Planet Replay so Henry (hdonzis) can help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post

i did not read every reply here but i want to point out that the end of the ir blaster has to touch the end of the ir receiver wire. i stuck mine back to back on their sticky sides. the signal is so weak that it wont be received by the ir reciever of the dta even if its only an inch apart.---d
I think I should point out that using the IR receiver dongle that comes with the DTA box is optional, the idea is that it allows you to position the DTA box out of sight and then put the IR receiver somewhere where it would see the signals coming from your remote control. There's no need to use the receiver dongle *and* the IR blaster. You should just position the IR blaster dongle so that it shines its IR signals into the front of the DTA box.

Once you do have the right code loaded and the IR blaster is working, there's an even better sollution than using the IR blaster. A fellow named Gary Gray has invented a cable that will connect your DTA box directly to your Replay, he sells them for $11 each on ebay. I bought three of them and am using them on each of my ReplayTV boxes, so I can confirm that they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220627222273

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #26 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Rob. I guess the thing for me, regardless of whether I keep trying to get my Showstopper working or maybe spring for a cheap Replay on eBay, is finding the code to use for my particular DTA. The instructions I've seen have generally focused on a different Comcast model.

One other thing I can try would be to go back to my test setup with my OTA CECB and see if that works. Maybe the blinking on the emitter is too faint for my digicam.
post #27 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:

One other thing I can try would be to go back to my test setup with my OTA CECB and see if that works. Maybe the blinking on the emitter is too faint for my digicam.
Okay, I did this test and my IR blaster is definitely still able to send signals to my Channel Master CM-7000. And even with it set to do this, I still don't see the blinking on my digicam.

Conclusion: either the IR blaster on these older models is very faint, or it uses a wavelength that is somehow visible to the sensor on the Channel Master, but not my digicam (or sporked's).

So now the question is: what is the code for a DCI105COM1? Or if it's not already on a LaHo-updated 3000 or Showstopper, how can I get it on? (Not so much general principles of loading the code, as finding the coding information particular to this unit.)

(Also, sorry for casting suspicion on LaHo.)

EDIT: Looks like I need to install code 2009 if it isn't there already. Threads referenced:

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16229&highlight=dci105com1
http://www.avsforum.com/t/267352/adding-new-ir-blaster-codes-to-the-replay-unit-4k-5k/420#post_18992825 (not entirely suitable since I have a modem-only unit, but helpful nonetheless)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256124/connecting-dta-thomson-dci1011com-and-replaytv-4508#post_18768072 (same issue)

Now to look and see if maybe the LaHo update has already solved this for me--doesn't look like it. I'm going to post over at planetreplay and see if there's anything they can do.
post #28 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:

So now the question is: what is the code for a DCI105COM1? Or if it's not already on a LaHo-updated 3000 or Showstopper, how can I get it on?

The LaHo instructions say to use code 1982, which should be selectable from the Comcast cable box selection. The other way to get the code installed is to follow the instructions that have been linked several times, to pull your Showstopper hard drive, connect it to a PC, and use Mikeyboy's batch file to overwrite one of the existing codes on the Showstopper with the DTA control.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

So now the question is: what is the code for a DCI105COM1? Or if it's not already on a LaHo-updated 3000 or Showstopper, how can I get it on? (Not so much general principles of loading the code, as finding the coding information particular to this unit.)

(Also, sorry for casting suspicion on LaHo.)

EDIT: Looks like I need to install code 2009 if it isn't there already. Threads referenced:

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16229&highlight=dci105com1
http://www.avsforum.com/t/267352/adding-new-ir-blaster-codes-to-the-replay-unit-4k-5k/420#post_18992825 (not entirely suitable since I have a modem-only unit, but helpful nonetheless)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256124/connecting-dta-thomson-dci1011com-and-replaytv-4508#post_18768072 (same issue)

Now to look and see if maybe the LaHo update has already solved this for me--doesn't look like it. I'm going to post over at planetreplay and see if there's anything they can do.

I think you should look at this post which also says that Mikeyboy's batch file worked as well with that model. That means that the LaHo installed code 1982 should work with it as well. So, you can either use Mikeyboy's batch file to overwrite an exiting code, or LaHo to install the new code.

Code 2009 is a code for the networked 4K and 5K machines. It won't be usable for a modem-only unit.
post #30 of 30 Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Well, it's still not working, even with the Gary Gray IR Blaster replacement cable. Using code 1982 on a Showstopper with the DCi105COM1 DTA.

I think it's time to ditch Comcast and focus on integrating my OTA CECB or just get Hulu Plus to go with the Roku Box I picked up on sale this weekend.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page