Anybody have a list of replacement drives that WON'T work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My wife still uses one our original ReplayTV's for recording and archiving her exercise shows because it's the simplest way for her to keep them separate from all the rest of the stuff we record on our Comcast DVRs (2) and TiVoHDs.(2). It's on its second drive (250GB) but the drive is showing signs of needing replacement. I want to buy a drive to clone to, but I'm not up to speed on the latest IDE drives and if the cache size still affects the chance of success like it once did.

I'm looking at this Refurb Seagate DB35 as a candidate (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148875) even though I'm not real fond of refurb HDDs.

Anybody have any advice or know where I can get this kind of information? (looks like http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/drivecompatibility.htm has some good info)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now a days, it's not so much a list of drives that won't work as it is a list of drives that will work. If you look at the websites that sell ReplayTV upgrade drives, they all say that only the DB35 drives work. In addition, the SV35 drives work fine as well. So, I would look for those. However, I would also be worrying about the refurbbed drives. I just got an 80GB DB35 drive for $15, and it was worse than the ReplayTV Maxtor drive I was trying to replace! 160GB DB35 drives are about the easiest to find, but you should also be able to find some 250GB drives somewhere...
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

...I would also be worrying about the refurbbed drives. I just got an 80GB DB35 drive for $15, and it was worse than the ReplayTV Maxtor drive I was trying to replace!
I would never buy a refurb drive- it's most likely just a pull or returned drive with a "refurbished" label pasted on it.
What could they possibly refurb on a modern hard drive? The controller never goes bad- it's the drive motor, heads or defects on the platters- and those items are not repairable.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #4 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ebay has plenty of new or used -db35 drives and smile.gif is the best performance for replays---d
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page