Moving content from a 3000 unit to a 5040? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just replaced my old 3000 series ReplayTV with a 5040. The 3000 was on dial-up, and the 5040 is on the network. I'd like to move the content from the 3000 hard drive to the 5040 hard drive. Any suggestions on the best way to do that would be appreciated.

Can I put both drives in the 5040 to transfer the shows? Take both drives out and put them in a PC? Is there a better approach?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporked View Post

I just replaced my old 3000 series ReplayTV with a 5040. The 3000 was on dial-up, and the 5040 is on the network. I'd like to move the content from the 3000 hard drive to the 5040 hard drive. Any suggestions on the best way to do that would be appreciated.
Can I put both drives in the 5040 to transfer the shows? Take both drives out and put them in a PC? Is there a better approach?
Thanks.

You can't just copy the files over..

1. The mpeg streams aren't compatible.
3. The Replay won't know they are there. Guide entires are only made when a show is recorded or revceived via IVS.

You can always set up your 5000 series RTV to manually record the output from the 3000... but that should a method of last resort.

1. Use ExtractRTV to copy the video mpegs off the 3000 series hard disk to your computer.
2. Convert the 3000 series mpegs to 5000 compatible mpegs (not sure if RTVToolKit will do this...I think TMPGEnc will...)
3. Stream the shows to your 5000 series from the PC via WiRNS or DVArchive.

Cheers!
-Doug

p.s. - You can always just run them out to DVD once you get them off the 3000 series RTV and possible watch them in your DVD player...
post #3 of 16 Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try the RTV Extract approach. Do you know whether I can mount both the 3000 and 5000 HD's in my computer so I can extract them directly to the 5000 HD? I guess that still leaves me with the conversion problem. I'll look at the RTV docs, but happy to hear any tips.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 PM

You can only extract files from an RTV hard drive, you can't place them on it, so you'll have to extract the 3K shows to a PC hard drive. If you use extract_rtv5 on your 3K hard drive, it can also get the show information as well in a format you can use for DVArchive or IVS. You might be able to use RTVToolKit to create 5K files and then you could put then on DVArchive or IVS them to your 5K. At a minimum, after you've extracted the shows from your 3K, you should be able to view them on your PC.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Point in fact, I watch most of the shows on my PC anyway - so that's probably what I'll do. I'll leave the wife's shows on the 3000 and hook it up in parallel as a play only unit for her to watch those shows at her leisure.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll try the RTV Extract approach. Do you know whether I can mount both the 3000 and 5000 HD's in my computer so I can extract them directly to the 5000 HD? I guess that still leaves me with the conversion problem. I'll look at the RTV docs, but happy to hear any tips.
Thanks again.

Even if you could extract from the 3000 and place on the 5000, and the files were compatible, the 5000's OS will have no idea they are there.. Entries are only made in the RTV Guide when a show is recorded or received via IVS.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #7 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting. When people upgrade their drives, do they not somehow move the content to the new drive?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Yes, but they do that by mirroring the drive, not by copying files to the new drive.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. Thanks. I'm extracting files right now. It's mostly working. But I can't seem to extract any show by filename (e.g. 1319518798.mpg). That is the filename - right?

Also getting a lot of errors like this when I extract all:

Cluster 32571 (offset 68620911616) read error: 1117 (Unknown error)

But It does seem to be grabbing the files.

Happy for any more tips. Thanks.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

Yes, but they do that by mirroring the drive, not by copying files to the new drive.

And that is not even recommended, because there could be corrupt data on the old drive that will wreck havoc on the new drive... With the video partition, that's not that big a problem.. With the OS (System) partition, that becomes a problem.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #11 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

And that is not even recommended, because there could be corrupt data on the old drive that will wreck havoc on the new drive... With the video partition, that's not that big a problem.. With the OS (System) partition, that becomes a problem.

Not recommended for replacing failing drives. However, the OP asked about upgrading drives, where it IS recommended, as long as the upgrade drive is larger (which might be assumed by "upgrade").
post #12 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks. I'm extracting files right now. It's mostly working. But I can't seem to extract any show by filename (e.g. 1319518798.mpg). That is the filename - right?

Also getting a lot of errors like this when I extract all:

Cluster 32571 (offset 68620911616) read error: 1117 (Unknown error)

But It does seem to be grabbing the files.

Are you using Extract GUI, RTVExplorer, extract_rtv, or extract_rtv5? I would recommend you use extract_rtv5. Yes, the -e option takes a file name after it. But, extract_rtv5 has some extract all options and I think will skip problem files. If you run the command with no options, it will give you a help screen. And, you can use the -dx option to get show description information.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using Extract_rtv5 without the GUI. Tried the gui, but it failed to let me grab the files.

I'd like to be able to grab some files and leave others - but it's not critical.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:

I'm using Extract_rtv5 without the GUI. Tried the gui, but it failed to let me grab the files.

I'd like to be able to grab some files and leave others - but it's not critical.

If you're using Extract GUI, then it has some instructions on what to do to make it work with extract_rtv5.exe. I think maybe all you have to do is rename extract_rrtv5.exe as extract_rtv.exe. If you're using RTVExplorer GUI, then I think it has some configuration problem that you have to be sure that it is configured for extract_rtv5.exe.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

The GUI seems to "work". It comes up and shows me all the content, but when I click on a program and tell it to extract, it fails.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

The GUI seems to "work". It comes up and shows me all the content, but when I click on a program and tell it to extract, it fails.

Well, since you said you were having problems when you tried to manually extract programs by name, I assume the same thing is happening when you use the GUI. The GUI is a very simple GUI front end for extract_rtv. It gets its content from using the -dv option, and it extracts the programs by using the -e option. It's as simple as that, so if the -e option isn't working for you manually, then it's probably not going to work for Extract GUI, either.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page