Use Tivo Premiere as a OTA tuner for Replay 5000 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting desparate to find a new OTA tuner that my 5000 can control with built-in IR codes. Can the Tivo (unsubscribed) act as a tuner this way ? I see one built in code for a Tivo satellite box: 1072 - but I don't know if it would control the Premiere or if the Premiere (unsubscribed) would act as a dumb tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeebean View Post

I'm getting desparate to find a new OTA tuner that my 5000 can control with built-in IR codes. Can the Tivo (unsubscribed) act as a tuner this way ? I see one built in code for a Tivo satellite box: 1072 - but I don't know if it would control the Premiere or if the Premiere (unsubscribed) would act as a dumb tuner.

Your problem is more complicated than you may think..

1. You MAY end up recording nag screens asking you to subscribe your Tivo.
2. Your Replay STILL won't be able to get guide data from the mothership, and the mothership is not providing listings for ATSC channels, which OTA is now, for the most part.
3. Your ReplayTV has no idea what a (-) or a (.) is. It cannot send one to any STB. Period. In fact, the only IR commands that your RTV can send to ANY STB are digits 0-9, Enter, and Power. That's it.

Depending on the behavior of the STB, you may be able to use a Cable or SAT lineup instead...

Your best solution is finding a box that doesn't need a (-) or (.) to tune subs (by sending leading zeros), and use WiRNS to provide a custom lineup to your RTV. The CM7000 does this.

There is one other way you can get your RV to send a (-) or a (.), but it will require a specialized custom IR code-set and a custom channel lineup to match. (It involves replacing the code for an unused digit in your market with a dash or dot. In NY, the numers 6 and 8 are not used by any boradcasters, so I would compile a custom IR file to replace "8" with "-", and then make a custom line up to remap channel numbers. Channel 2.1 becomes 281. Channel 11.3 becomes 1183.

Not trivial. But doable.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, already was using CM7000 with the DirectTV lineup for OTA channels (main channels only) - perfect setup until the CM died. I repaired the CM, got it running for a few days, then the sound went out. I can't do board level troubleshooting beyond the cap replacement I just did, so I'm looking for a replacement box.

The CM7000 is unavailable in new form and I don't want a used one with who knows how little life left in it, so I am looking at all other OTA tuners in new condition that can be controlled by the Replay. That's why I'm looking at the Tivo - if it will work like the CM did then I've got the channel lineup already covered and a new tuner that should last for a while.

The missing piece is will the unsubscribed Premiere take stock IR codes from Replay 5000 and will it change channels without additional input beyond the simple channel numbers being sent via the IR blaster ?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Walmart is selling the RCA OTA converter in the stores that is compatible with the RTV. I'm not sure if it's a very good OTA converter or not, but I think it would work with your RTV lineup the way you are using it.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This is a hint. The universe is telling you something.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

Walmart is selling the RCA OTA converter in the stores that is compatible with the RTV. I'm not sure if it's a very good OTA converter or not, but I think it would work with your RTV lineup the way you are using it.

The ZinWell ZAT970 is reported to work once you upload a blaster file... I saw it available for $50.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1404266/recommended-digital-ota-converters

Cheers!
-Doug
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fot the tips. I bought the RCA DTA800B1, mfg Aug 2012, from Sears(same model as Walmart) and it will not work with any of the stock IR codes. The closest it gets is with 0790 which toggles power, but channel#'s are interpreted as doubles: 24 tunes to 22.44. No amount of fine tuning the code was effective.

Saw the Zinwell thread but when attempting to add IR codes by booting from the Linux disk, my newish PC doesn't get the network recognized. Then, DVArchive tells me there is no space in the Photo partition. I confirmed that by manually copying the files over and the partition fills up with only one tiny file, the second file fails to copy.

I know it is possible to get an older PC so the boot disk might work, then patch the hard drive to recreate the Photo partiton, etc. but I really want a simpler solution such as spend some bux on a box that just works. I saw the Premiere for $149 - not that bad really if it works.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks fot the tips. I bought the RCA DTA800B1, mfg Aug 2012, from Sears(same model as Walmart) and it will not work with any of the stock IR codes. The closest it gets is with 0790 which toggles power, but channel#'s are interpreted as doubles: 24 tunes to 22.44. No amount of fine tuning the code was effective.
Saw the Zinwell thread but when attempting to add IR codes by booting from the Linux disk, my newish PC doesn't get the network recognized. Then, DVArchive tells me there is no space in the Photo partition. I confirmed that by manually copying the files over and the partition fills up with only one tiny file, the second file fails to copy.
I know it is possible to get an older PC so the boot disk might work, then patch the hard drive to recreate the Photo partiton, etc. but I really want a simpler solution such as spend some bux on a box that just works. I saw the Premiere for $149 - not that bad really if it works.

You can also remove the hard drive, and over-write one of the existing blaster files with the one you need....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

So I can mount the HD in a Linux environment and just copy the files to their respective locations as coded into the shellcmds file ? Any special steps required ? Surprised that option was never covered in the thread for loading IR codes since some were having problems like myself with the boot disk having old drivers.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I can mount the HD in a Linux environment and just copy the files to their respective locations as coded into the shellcmds file ? Any special steps required ? Surprised that option was never covered in the thread for loading IR codes since some were having problems like myself with the boot disk having old drivers.

Windows environment. (XP, not 9x or ME). You will use the batch file in the zip archive for your type RTV, located here, (replace the IR code 2037 in the zip archive with the file you need - use the same name), and you are done. Then use Code 2037 to control your STB.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256124/connecting-dta-thomson-dci1011com-and-replaytv-4508#post_18768072

Cheers!
-Doug
post #11 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 PM
jlv

Liked: 12
Yes, the ZAT-970A works for tuning subchannels, but as I said in the other thread, the picture wasn't as nice as I got with the CM-7000s. I've not had any issues since I put the repaired CM-7000s back into service. The $25 (each) to Whitebar to repair them was well worth it - I highly recommend it.

(FWIW, the pair of ZAT-970A's I got cheap are still sitting on the shelf. If anyone wants one or both, let me know. They did work fine to tune subchannels without the need of dstoffa's ingenious digit substitution)

My ReplayTV's are seeing less and less use now that I've got the under-TV HTPC running WMC and recording remotely from my HDHomeRun. With the 2TB hard drive the HTPC can record a ridiculous amount of OTA HD, and it's quieter than the fans in the RTVs. The interface is pretty decent, and I can browse my whole digital library with ease (no lag as it downloads a huge channel guide from WiRNS or DVA).

As "adam1991" said, the universe may be trying to tell you something.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page