Component to HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm helping a friend set up a Replay 5040 (of which I have 2 of my own!) and he has a newer TV that only has available HDMI ports. I've done some research online, and there's a couple of component to HDMI converters and they all seem to have mixed reviews. Does anyone have any experience with any converter that is ok with replaytv?

Obviously I know it's only SD picture, I only need HDMI because I have no other connections available.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Liked: 12
So newer TV gets cheaper than not-so-new; my LCD has 2 composite, 2 component, and 4 HDMI; guess I got it just in time! So what's the model of this TV?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
yeah, at Costco the other day I saw what looked like a very nice Samsung 3D full field LED backlit TV. Mid-40s size. $659, as I recall. But when I looked on the back, it had only two HDMI inputs and a set of combined composite/component inputs.

That's a measly three inputs.

Welcome to the new world of TVs, I guess.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM

It occurs to me to ask OP whether his friend's TV has NO composite inputs (hard to believe) or just none free? In that case a composite switch-box would solve it.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well I bought an LG 42 inch plasma tv about 2 years ago. It had 4 HDMI, 2 component, 2 AV/composite (1 with S-video), VGA, and DVI. That's a total of 10 inputs. TV's recently have HDMI and, like Adam mentioned, one shared component/composite. Those shared inputs are especially bad. Stinks for me because I really could use at least one component and one AV. Looks like I just won't get it anymore.

The TV we're talking about has one of those shared component/composites which is being used. That's why I'm looking to convert to HDMI. The model is LG 55LM9600.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Search on A*n for a Video Switch box, and the first item is an RCA, similar to one I used a lot previously, along with several others. This worked well, and is also not $$. Handles composite video as well as audio, S-video too. Consider it if the HDMI idea doesn't pan out.

Why do you say the shared (composite / component) inputs are especially bad?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I say they're bad only because I like to have options. Rather than a dedicated composite and component you get either one or the other. So it leaves you in a pinch if you need one of each. Guess I'm old-school but I like having choices.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM
jlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdbb1 View Post

The TV we're talking about has one of those shared component/composites which is being used. That's why I'm looking to convert to HDMI. The model is LG 55LM9600.
I would consider moving the device on the shared component/composite input to connect to one of the ReplayTV's inputs, and then have the ReplayTV connect to the TV with component. This would only work if that device was composite (or had S-Video out).
post #9 of 12 Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: An Answer from DEEP Left Field...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdbb1 View Post

I'm helping a friend set up a Replay 5040 (of which I have 2 of my own!) and he has a newer TV that only has available HDMI ports. I've done some research online, and there's a couple of component to HDMI converters and they all seem to have mixed reviews. Does anyone have any experience with any converter that is ok with replaytv?

Obviously I know it's only SD picture, I only need HDMI because I have no other connections available.

Any thoughts?
If you visit the DVDR Recorders (STD- Definition) Forum and SEARCH, you'll find a *LOT* of discussion on this topic (i.e. CONVERTERS).

IIRC, you'll also discover that to get GOOD QUALITY, you'll need to spend ~$300-400 on a converter (i.e. Fury 3). eek.gif

I chose a different route. I bought a NEW Magnavox 2160A DVDR w/HDD (@~$229, IIRC, from Walmart.Com), then a REFURBISHED 513, then a REFURBISHED 515 (~$160-200 from JR.Com). Direct FiOS Cable (i.e. no STB) delivers *BEAUTIFUL* 16:9A 480p from the *UNSCRAMBLED* OTA Channels to the Magnavox DVDR HDD, which, @ SP, looks great to me via HDMI on my 32" Panasonic 720p LCD (with my 60+ year old eyes). The Magnavox DVDR(s) ALSO feeds *BEAUTIFUL* 16:9A 480i via S-Video to my 5XXX ReplayTV(s) which also looks great to me via Component, which I can then share on Poopli as TRUE 16:9A @ MED.

YES, I made sure that *ALL* of my HDTVs have INPUTs for:
  • HDMI
  • Component
  • Composite (S-Video is *DEAD*! mad.gif )
I also have (multiple, sometimes cascaded) Automatic Switch Boxes for:
  • HDMI
  • Component
  • Composite
So, by planning WAY AHEAD, I'm now pretty much set until my current 3 HDTVs die.

BOTTOM LINE: Buy a REFURBISHED Maganavox DVDR for LT $200 before you waste any money on an 'El Cheapo' ~$100 Converter. You won't regret it! wink.gif

Good Luck! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #10 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I answered this on an earlier post about "Why keep your Replay". I bought this little device. http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=avsforum_vs-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLenkeng-LKV351-Component-Converter-Scaler%2Fdp%2FB007YGR0AQ%2Fref%3Dpd_ybh_6 and it works great. Small investment and great results. Been using it for 3-4 months now and could not be happier with it. Even makes sports look a lot better. Keep in mind, I record all sports in high quality mod anyway.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

So newer TV gets cheaper than not-so-new; my LCD has 2 composite, 2 component, and 4 HDMI; guess I got it just in time! So what's the model of this TV?

Wondering if it has more to do with the DRM police I suspect their demand for support of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) via HDMI IMHO.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Wondering if it has more to do with the DRM police I suspect their demand for support of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) via HDMI IMHO.

I definitely think so. Blu-ray has been trying to kill analog (like component) for a long time. As usual, the consumer loses.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page