Replay 5040 Networking problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two 5040 units, both of which have the same problem - I am unable to assign an IP address to either one. The HD drive on one of the units failed and got corrupted on the other so I no longer have a working unit. I am using the factory reset image. I have replace the hard drives in the past and never had a problem with network setup before. I also do not see any light blinking on either the replay or the router when it tries to connect.

Is it possible that the Ethernet port on both units is blown? It seems strange that both would fail in this way, but I did have a lightning strike in my backyard this summer. Not sure if that is when the Replay units failed as I don't use them much anymore.

I know that you can't repair the Ethernet port, but my Router has a USB input - would a USB connection from work? I'm not trying to use wireless, just have the USB cable go directly to the router. I don't have a cable readily available, otherwise I would just try it myself.

If anybody has any ideas on how I could progress on this, I'd appreciate it.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You'll get plenty of useful advice when the guru's sign on but just to save you time on the USB angle, the Replay's USB port was never implemented - it does not work!

----------
Jim
post #3 of 10 Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweinel View Post

You'll get plenty of useful advice when the guru's sign on but just to save you time on the USB angle, the Replay's USB port was never implemented - it does not work!

Not completely true. There is a hack somewhere to activate it as a power source, so if you had a wireless adapter that ran off USB for power, you could make use of the port for that purpose.

Being the holiday season, you could also use the port to light one of those small Christmas Trees....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #4 of 10 Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbarry View Post

I have two 5040 units, both of which have the same problem - I am unable to assign an IP address to either one.

You assign IP addresses when you do a network setup, and your RTV cannot get settings from a DHCP server. It needs to time-out... something like 2 minutes before you can manually enter the RTV's IP, subnet, gateway, and DN Servers.

That being written, you want to make sure that DHCP is turned off on your network, because of the DHCP bug... When the hardware boots, your RTV will ask for an address. When the OS boots, it was ask for another. If they are different, things don't work.

Turn off DHCP and set up your LAN manually for this effort.

Are you using WiRNS & SD, or the mothership?
Quote:
The HD drive on one of the units failed and got corrupted on the other so I no longer have a working unit. I am using the factory reset image. I have replace the hard drives in the past and never had a problem with network setup before. I also do not see any light blinking on either the replay or the router when it tries to connect.
Confusing.... A failed hard drive cannot corrupt a hard drive on another machine. When you write "light blinking" are you referring to a connection? or traffic?
Quote:
Is it possible that the Ethernet port on both units is blown? It seems strange that both would fail in this way, but I did have a lightning strike in my backyard this summer. Not sure if that is when the Replay units failed as I don't use them much anymore.

If they weren't connected when you had the strike, then I doubt the ethernet ports failed. If nothing else on your LAN failed as a result of the strike, then odds would be that your RTV's ethernet ports are fine. Of course, it is possible that the RTVs were the weakest link... goodbye...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Are the RTVs OK with DCHP server on but having dedicated IP addresses reserved in the router and automatic, not manula, IP assigned on each RTV?

Arvy
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The Router is running DHCP, but do not have any address r ange reserved - I've actually tried this with two different routers, the other is in another physical location. I was not aware of the 2 minute timeout though so I will give that a try. I will also see about changing the settings to block out the IP address range or turn of DHCP for at least testing purposes

To answer the questions -

- Not using Wirns, etc. I was only using the LAN for connecting to Replay channel guide service and locally within my house to share shows and transfer to my PC
- Sorry about the confusion on the hard drives. I realize that one could not corrupt the other. It just so happened that both were bad when I tried to swap things around to see if I could get at least one of the units to work. Unfortunately I haven't been using the Replays much any more so I don't have a good timeline of what failed when.
- One of the units was connected during the strike, not entirely sure about the other. But nothing else on the LAN had problems, although the FIOS box on the outside of the house had to be replaced. In fact all the FIOS components ended up getting replaced - outside, inside router were changed out. Not clear if that was actually required or whether Verizon just did that because it was the easiest thing to do. Now that I think about it, the old router did have a manual range set aside and the new one definitely does not
- About the blinking lights - I'm referring to the lights that blink with activity. I've never actually looked at the back of the Replay unit before now to know when they came on. But zero activity on the router. During boot or any other time.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM

FYI there are various things you can do from outside the Replay unit itself to query the network presence of the Replay based on it's MAC address. The kinds of tools depend on what kind of box you run the from, but the ARP protocol is the base. The MAC address is a lower level thing than the IP address, and is the basis of the DHCP request.

If you are willing to wire up a non-standard serial connector, you might be able to access the serial shell on the Replay which can be used to mess with the IP address and related configuration stuff, but it needs to be initially activated via the network and if it was never turned on the without a network connection you are out of luck. (It is one path -- the only one I am aware of -- to activating the mainly-useless USB port that came up earlier.)

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that even without activating the serial shell you may still be able to access the VxWorks boot menu from the serial interface. It allows some very minimal interaction with the network interface.

Of course, the really simple thing is to manually configure at IP address and see if the little green light in the back of your unit (beside the ethernet RJ45 connector) comes on when you are connected to the router. If it does, the hardware it probably OK.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Turn off DHCP and set up your LAN manually for this effort.

-Doug

If your router supports it (and AFAIK most do) you can set 'static DHCP' on the router, so it always assigns a particular IP to the Replay. This avoids the DHCP bug, is easier than using static addresses, and still allows you to use DHCP with your computer(s).
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That all being said, in my *many* years of Replay 50xx ownership and multiple units, not once did I ever see, hear, smell, or even get a notion of this mythological "DHCP bug".

I set static IP addresses using the Replay interface, and they just worked. On multiple machines.

For the record.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

That all being said, in my *many* years of Replay 50xx ownership and multiple units, not once did I ever see, hear, smell, or even get a notion of this mythological "DHCP bug".
I set static IP addresses using the Replay interface, and they just worked. On multiple machines.
For the record.

I never saw it either, until I took a RTV out of storage and put it back in service over Thanksgiving. I have an old Belkin router at a second home that I use for a LAN up there. No broadband, but when there, I can use dial up to set the clocks / load channel guide info / stream shows I have archived / brought with me.

Anyway, the unit was put into storage with a set static IP. The Belkin gave the RTV an additional one while it was booting. I had left the DHCP server on, and when I checked the client list, my RTV had an IP address different than the one it was manually assigned (and was reporting on-screen to me)....

I just turned off the DHCP server and rebooted everything.

Just turn the DHCP off until you can establish that the RTV is functional and set up properly... It's easy enough to turn back on once you diagnose.

Cheers!
-Doug
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page