Cannot Install RID Files Using DVArchive or WiRNS on ReplayTV 5504 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any command between the AppShell Toggle Commands does not run.

I have created the install folder using either DVArchive or WiRNS and made sure the shellcmds file was perfectly edited and saved using TextPad

I only get the clock but not the cpu meter.

I also just put the ircodes, ircodesRaw, C1000fi.rid files directly in the Photo folder using WiRNS and no files would copy over to the correct paths as illustrated below:

AppShell ToggleClock
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/ircodes /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodes
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/ircodesRaw /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodesRaw
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/C1000fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C1000fi.rid
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter

Note: Even used the TextPad program and made sure it was ANSI PC format etc..

And as so many others... I get just the clock and no cpu meter...
If I comment out or remove the above 3 lines starting with cp for copy then obv. I get both the clock and cpu.

I have used just the Photo folder (viewable in WiRNS) and copied them directly using WiRNS but whenever I try to copy any files to the ReplayTV hard drive using the shellcmds file (which runs perfectly from C:\WiRNS) I only get the clock but not the cpu meter.

I have used and tried every combination and read 10 years worth of threads and about 100 posts just by you Henry and seem to be the only one on the internet that cannot copy over a file to either of these paths:

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/

The above are paths and not files, and any file that I have in the Photo directory or any subfolder (ie install created in the) Photo directory will not copy over to the /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset or to the /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/

I can create folders/directories on the RTV5504 hard drive using either DVArchive or WiRNS and copy and move and delete any amount or combination of files and jpeg images until the end of time and have done so without any problems whatsoever using both DVArchive and WiRNS.

I even poll the Photo dir. capacity using httpfs commands and get updates via the browser before during and after file transfers to and from the Photo partition directory:

cap=999948288
inuse=1310720
cap=999948288
inuse=5439488

I have tried new drives and even reset the drives by doing a 382zones etc, RTVPatched with brand new 5.1 images from builds 19 to 144 and still experience the inability to copy any files to the system partition... even if I just try to overwrite an existing file just using a single Cxxxx.fi.RID like you did on one of your Replays, Henry...

I have used and am experienced with setting up and using WiRNS 2.1 and 3.0 and DVArchive and can do ANYTHING with the replay except control my Zenith DTT-901 box because I cannot load any codes...

I am currently looking for the best instructions using extract_RTV to put them directly on the RTV hard drive.

At this point: I welcome any tips, tricks, advice, darts, jabs or even insults as I am beyond bullet-proof at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Let me first say that I am not one of the experts. However, I recently upgraded a ReplayTV for my mom that required a new RID file.

I thought I could share some of my errors.....

I used DVArchive to upload the files to the replay. First I created a folder named "install" by right clicking the Photos folder in the DVArchive window. I loaded all three files IRcodes, cxxxx.rid and ircodesraw in the "install" folder. I couldn't quite figure out what you have done but the starting point for running WiRNS with the modified shellcmds file is a ReplayTV with the three files above copied in the Photos folder in a sub-folder that you name. Again, I created a folder "install" without the "s. You can name the folder whatever you want BUT the shellcmds lines must have that folder name embedded in the shellcmds lines.

The modified shellcmds for my load were:

AppShell ToggleClock
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/ircodes /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodes
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/ircodesRaw /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodesRaw
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2084fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2084fi.rid
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter

As you can see, I was loading a RID file for a Samsung box (S2084fi.rid)

The files names are case-sensitive. Make sure you have the exact files and commands with the matching case.

You can see that I have a "/install/" after Photo because I created a new folder "install" with DVA.

I don't remember if I rebooted the replay after running the shellcmds but as I recall, some users recommended a reboot to ensure the new code number loaded by the RID file would show. My new code was 2084 (as in S2084fi.rid).

I suspect you have already read many of the posts that I did. However, one really confusing item for me was that DVA shows a "Photos" folder and the shellcmds line uses "Photo". I mistakenly changed the shellcmds to "Photos" because it looked right to me. It is not. Regardless of the DVA title, Photo without the "s" is the correct name used by the internal replay structure.

Hope this helps a little. I know it can be frustrating even with the great help and guidance on this forum. I probably spent a week of nights getting all the pieces straight for my mom. I also needed to use SchedulesDirect to get her OTA lineup straight. Whew.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark888 View Post

I thought I could share some of my errors.....

I suspect you have already read many of the posts that I did. However, one really confusing item for me was that DVA shows a "Photos" folder and the shellcmds line uses "Photo". I mistakenly changed the shellcmds to "Photos" because it looked right to me. It is not. Regardless of the DVA title, Photo without the "s" is the correct name used by the internal replay structure.
Hope this helps a little. I know it can be frustrating even with the great help and guidance on this forum. I probably spent a week of nights getting all the pieces straight for my mom. I also needed to use SchedulesDirect to get her OTA lineup straight. Whew.

Thank you so much Lark888,

I really do appreciate your time and effort and your response. Here is the thing...
I have other replays that I have uploaded RID files to just like you said and "bing blang blaow"
I get BOTH the Clock and CPU to toggle... meaning the files were copied and have new RID codes to use for my set top boxes.

But not on this replay and not on any of the several images or different hard drives
that I have installed/reformatted/reimaged... on this replay.

Seems that for some reason, that the paths in the shellcmds file are always correct
and edited correctly and even saved using a Unix TextPad program... that this
particular system paths below of the drive do not want to be written to:

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/

Just never get the second toggle, the cpu meter or whatever toggle I use...

And if I only have toggle commands in the shellcmds file, then all the toggles appear.

Seems like a 'write permissions' problem at this point and could be remotely related
possibly to the fact that the unit was deactivated/no longer authorized etc and only
got it working using the authcommands in WiRNS 3.0 and then later reformatted
and then activated using the AuthActivate_v1.6 in WiRNS 2.1

Henry has helped so much and am still hoping to hear back from him.

Looks like extract_rtv commands are the last hope of writing to the system partition.

Thanks again so much for your time and your help and response and have a Great Christmas.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy View Post

Just never get the second toggle, the cpu meter or whatever toggle I use...
And if I only have toggle commands in the shellcmds file, then all the toggles appear.
Seems like a 'write permissions' problem at this point and could be remotely related
possibly to the fact that the unit was deactivated/no longer authorized etc and only
Looks like extract_rtv commands are the last hope of writing to the system partition.

Have you tried copying over one of the three files at a time.

toogle
cp one file
toggle
cp the next file
toggle
cp the last file
toggle

What about cloning the system partition from a RTV that already has the code you need on it?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Have you tried copying over one of the three files at a time.
toogle
cp one file
toggle
cp the next file
toggle
cp the last file
toggle
What about cloning the system partition from a RTV that already has the code you need on it?
Cheers!
-Doug

Yes Doug thanks, the toggles work as long as no cp... command is trying to write to the system files.

I have another 5040 replay that I just used the flip-flop technique of getting RID files from the photo
partition to the system partition and using WiRNS shellcmds to have new RID files controlling my Zenith DT-901
in 5 minutes.

Something about this 5504 unit and it is not the drive because I have failed with multiple drives that have had
every kind of image on them.

Cloning is a great idea Doug, and I will try it and Henry mentioned that is the way to go as well if possible.

Some other people in threads had the same exact "No CPU Meter" and only got the clock no matter what
they tried and finally ended up cloning an existing drive.

I will still get to the bottom of this eventually and will report back.

Thanks for all the talent and help that you all provide and share.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy View Post

Thanks again so much for your time and your help and response and have a Great Christmas.

Update:

extract_rtv5 revealed the problem. The entire problem (not getting the cpu meter to toggle) because
the shellcmds script was failing to complete.

Reason suspected was verified by viewing contents of the p1 partition using Henry's great extract_rtv5.

The "paths" below did not exist... on the 5504 replaytv hard drive.

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodesRaw

Not being an expert, it would be logical that since I had a used installed images: (Builds 140, and 144)
that when I went through the required "Quick Setup" the directories never got created because
the setup of my "Input Devices" always failed at some point during the verification/setup of the replaytv software.

Have a gameplan in place to install the Build 19 image and will go from there.

Will update later...
post #7 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Newly Imaged Hard Drive WITH BUILD 19 IMAGE

Configuration/Replays
Click "Scan for Replays"

Tools/Manage Photos

On the right side of page create a folder called "install"

Click mouse cursor in text box and type install and then click "Create" button
After page refreshes, click the drop-down arrow next to 'Folder' and select 'install' as your folder

On the right side of web page interface make sure you select the "install" folder
so that the "install folder is visible and it should be empty at this point.

On the left side of page type or paste the location of your RID files and click 'Browse' button

Highlight the C1000fi.rid and click copy ... (now C1000fi.rid should appear in the install folder)

You should see the C1000fi.rid show up in the WiRNS Photo install Directory:

Note:
the ircodes and ircodesRaw files that (match the C1000fi.rid file)

were both installed using extract_rtv5 immediately after blank hard drive had
the build 19 image put on with RTVPatch 2.5.3.

shellcmds was edited as shown to only copy the C1000fi.rid file

AppShell ToggleClock
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C1000fi.rid

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C1000fi.rid
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter

and was then placed in the WiRNS.exe directory ready to run and finally get my RID file installed.

On the ReplayTV 5504 I went to Menu/Setup/Connect to ReplayTV Service Now

Bam! Got both the clock and Cpu Meters!!! biggrin.gif
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page