can I make my replay record from the guide but always default to line1 input instead of rf ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I could make the my replaytv always default to line1 input when selecting a program to record then I could get better quality from the digital converter box I have attached. Yes I can do the manual record option but it would be a bit simpler if the rf input was not the default but instead the line input was the default.
Did I make that clear?
Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you have a source (such as your converter box) connected to the line 1 input on the Replay, it can automatically default to the line 1 input. You may see the actual channel displayed (if you access the input source) but it will still retrieve the signal from the line1 input jacks on the Replay.

Just make sure that you have nothing connected to the RF input (if you are using line 1, this would be uneccesary) and also make sure that you have designated the proper input (line 1 in this case) on the initial connections screen for the Replay.
I hope that this resolves your issue!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombot View Post

If I could make the my replaytv always default to line1 input when selecting a program to record then I could get better quality from the digital converter box I have attached. Yes I can do the manual record option but it would be a bit simpler if the rf input was not the default but instead the line input was the default.
Did I make that clear?
Anybody?

You can't control the default input, but the default should normally be the lowest channel. The channel numbering works by having the input with the most channels with the lowest channel numbers. So, if your line 1 lineup has the most channels, then it should be the lowest channel numbers, and be the default recording input.

You have to remember that the RTV records based on station information, not channel numbers. So, all it cares is that you setup a recording to record on TNT, for example, at a certain time. The RTV then figures out how to tune to TNT, what ever channel it is on which ever input. So, if you were to disconnect your line 1 input, for example, then it would record from the RF input if it could find the same station on that input. And, when your video provider rearranges your channel numbers, the RTV still figures out how to record shows based on the station information.

Anyway, I think that ReplayTV assumed that having multiple inputs would be for totally different lineups, possibly with no or very little station overlap. They really didn't allow for a preferred input that had better picture quality. I think they basically allowed for something simple, like perhaps you have Satellite for your national stations and Antenna for your local stations, not that you'd have both analog cable and digital cable, both with common channels between them. Of course, as analog cable continues to go away, it will no longer be a problem!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Did I make that clear?
Anybody?

Hmmm... I was thinking about this some more, and two thoughts come to mind. First, follow slprp1's instruction and remove the duplicate RF input. I assume that the digital lineup has all of the stations of the analog input, so why are you using it at all? Second, you could remove the channels of the analog input that you don't want to record from the RF input.

I guess it depends on why you are bothering to have both analog and digital connected to the RTV simultaneously? If you are going to have occasion to want to record from the analog RF input instead of the digital line 1 input, then that is going to make things much more complicated. You may have to use something like WiRNS where you can control your input lineups to get things the best way. But, it seems to me that if you want to have a choice between recoding from the digital line 1 or analog RF input, then that is going to cause a problem in general. As I wrote above, I think the RTV uses the lowest channel numbers, but I have no idea if that's true or not. I think if you use the Channel Guide to select the show that you want to record from the channel number of the input that you want to use, then that may at least initially cause it to record from that input. But, then if the channel numbers change later, it might well change inputs when it tries to find the new channel number for that station.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
I disconnected the RF input cable and set the line 1 input settings to cable box.
That part of the problem is solved.

Sure would be cool if my ReplayTV could control the Zinwell digital tuner that's connected to the line 1 input.
I suppose that's asking too much huh?

I use a universal remote that has a scheduling feature to change the digital tuner now.

Should I try to create a microprocessor project that translates IR codes from some typical cable converter box to Zinwell codes?
Or has someone already done that?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

...Sure would be cool if my ReplayTV could control the Zinwell digital tuner that's connected to the line 1 input...
  1. Read the "[How-Do-I] Control..." in my FAQ "Before You Ask..." STICKY'd at the top of the page.
  2. Go to the JP1 Forum to get the RID file. LINK to JP1 Forum is in the post.
Good Luck and Have Fun! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
jlv

Liked: 12
tombot: he means #45 in his FAQ. Definitely go there. Now.

ClearToLand: You don't have a direct link for the Zinwell RID in your "[How-Do-I] Control..." thread. You do have the link to the JP1 ReplayTV section, which will get you there. I have direct links in this thread.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page