OK, Before I screw something up. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have been unable to connect via dailup for the last week and also a few weeks ago so I have a couple of ethernet cables, 50ft long, so I used one to hook up and had no problem connecting.
My question is I have the cable running across the floor from my computer room out to the living room where my equipment is and want to run it under to floor which means I have to disconnect it.
Will that change any setting or will all I have to do is plug it back in and all will be well.
Have been putting off using the ethernet cables as I have to drill at least one new hole in my floors, not that it matters as I already have about seven now running TV, speaker and a few other things. Or could I just disconnect the cable from either the RTV or my router and just plug it in when the program guide get near the end? Also could I just use one cable for both RTVs just switching from one machine to the other when needed. I do have a cable or my other machine if need be or should I just bite the bullet and drill the holes? Obviously I am a codger that has no teenage grandchildren to call upon for assistance.
One good thing is I have a wife that does not complain about them as long as she does not see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
My question is I have the cable running across the floor from my computer room out to the living room where my equipment is and want to run it under to floor which means I have to disconnect it. Will that change any setting or will all I have to do is plug it back in and all will be well.
just plug it back in and it works
Quote:
Or could I just disconnect the cable from either the RTV or my router and just plug it in when the program guide get near the end? Also could I just use one cable for both RTVs just switching from one machine to the other when needed.
u ĉould do that or get another cable to ur router or go to radio shack and get a splitter that gives two ip addresses on one line. im actually gonna try the latter option myself.--- by the way if u make a hole big enough for one cäble the second cable WILL be able to squeeze thru too because of how large the plug is, there will be space enough to get the second plug thru even with the first wire in place---d
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

Have been unable to connect via dailup for the last week and also a few weeks ago so I have a couple of ethernet cables, 50ft long, so I used one to hook up and had no problem connecting.
My question is I have the cable running across the floor from my computer room out to the living room where my equipment is and want to run it under to floor which means I have to disconnect it.
Will that change any setting or will all I have to do is plug it back in and all will be well.

From a networking standpoint, all you have to do is plug it back in. However, if you are using automated addressing, then you'd technically need to go into network settings and renew the address because some other device could have taken over its IP address while it was disconnected. You could use lease reservations instead to ensure that the RTV's IP address stays reserved exclusively for its use, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the address changing. In addition, the RTV reboots on its own about once a week, and if it reboots with the network cable disconnected, it thinks there's no networking. I think that when you plug the cable back in, that it brings up networking, so it may not cause any problems, just want you to be aware of this situation in case you have to reboot it to get it to see the network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

Have been putting off using the ethernet cables as I have to drill at least one new hole in my floors, not that it matters as I already have about seven now running TV, speaker and a few other things. Or could I just disconnect the cable from either the RTV or my router and just plug it in when the program guide get near the end? Also could I just use one cable for both RTVs just switching from one machine to the other when needed. I do have a cable or my other machine if need be or should I just bite the bullet and drill the holes? Obviously I am a codger that has no teenage grandchildren to call upon for assistance.
One good thing is I have a wife that does not complain about them as long as she does not see them.

You can do any of those things. In addition, just be aware that you can daisy chain your Ethernet cable by putting an Ethernet Switch in between. So, if it is easier to run from the router to one RTV and then from there to the other RTV, then you can run a cable from the router to the first RTV and then run a cable from the first RTV to the second RTV and just get a cheap 5-port switch to put there to daisy chain the Ethernet cable. Home run is usually better, but if it saves you a lot of work, then daisy chaining should be considered.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, but all is well, I was able to find enough wiggle room to get the cables to feed through existing holes and instead of running them neat and tidy along the floor joists I ran them on a diagonal so as to pick up a few feet of cable and it worked out well. Both machines are hooked up and have full program guides.
Kicking myself for not doing this years ago, just thought it was too much trouble but it's done now so I should be good to go for a while unless the stop sending the guide.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page