Moving into the modern era while still holding fast to my beloved ReplayTVs - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've been using our ReplayTVs for years, getting Canadian program listing through WiRNS and enjoying the wonder of Poopli. Just recently the rest of the world finally joined our lucky ReplayTV group in being able to get missed episodes - or whole seasons - of shows.

I finally gave in to try Netflix and must admit it's kind of neat. I use it with a Wii on the downstairs tv and a GoogleTV device that I got for free from a credit card promo upstairs. Both GoogleTV and ReplayTV feed into the TV, but don't talk to each other. Has anyone found a way to get one of these streaming devices that are HDMI only to talk to the ReplayTV that deals in co-ax signals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
You mean in terms of playing recorded shows? Probably won't happen, most of those streaming devices only support mp4 through hardware decoding and obviously that format is not supported by ReplayTV. The video would need to be transcoded, it's possible that Plex (http://www.plexapp.com/) would transcode video to the streaming devices like a Roku, but you would have to first download the video from the Replay using something like dvarchive.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

There used to be an XBMC plugin for ReplayTV but unfortunately it's not working. It would be great if it were to work and then any platform which runs XBMC could also be used to play from a ReplayTV. Otherwise, I am left to watch shows downloaded through DVArchive cataloged in the XBMC library...

Anyway, from your post, though, I thought you were asking if you could record to your ReplayTV from one of your other sources which only has HDMI output. I assumed that an HDM to RCA converter box would work, such as the one here: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Composite-Video-Audio-Converter/dp/B008FO7PQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363202704&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+converter
post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrin View Post

Anyway, from your post, though, I thought you were asking if you could record to your ReplayTV from one of your other sources which only has HDMI output. I assumed that an HDM to RCA converter box would work, such as the one here: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Composite-Video-Audio-Converter/dp/B008FO7PQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363202704&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+converter

Thanks Jimrin! Yes, that is indeed what I meant. I looked for an HDMI-coax adapter on Monoprice and a few other places, but wasn't coming up with anything. Has anyone successfully tried this (or something similar)? I actually do have an HDMI-RCA cable (no converter box) that I got to try outputting GoogleTV to an older (!) television that has an RCA input... though with R/G/B connectors instead of the usual Y/W/R. Never occurred to me that it might work for ReplayTV -> GoogleTV! I'll have to check into that and the box. Thanks.

Still interested in hearing of actual experiences with this too!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ocraven,

Check the replies to your question on the Poopli Forum... wink.gif

Let me know if you need part numbers, or if you can find them yourself.
ocraven likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page