Is Replay TV worth anything today? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi;
I've got a Replay TV model RTV5508, 80GB recorder sitting around collecting dust.
I had planned to remove the 80GB hard drive from the unit and scrap it, but I just found someone trying to sell theirs (same model) on Amazon.com for $95!
Is this thing really worth anything close to that?
If I could get even $50 for mine, I would sell it. But again, I'm thinking that since the service has been killed, and all you can do with these is record shows manually (and not in HD), it wouldn't be worth anything.

Another idea I have is to use the device as a NAS on my home network. I don't know if I could get it to do this, and as I recall it was very slow in transferring files over Ethernet it would not be much use there either. So if I am going to scrap the thing, I'll just remove the HDD and put it in my Windows or Linux server.

FW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
jlv

Liked: 12
The service has not been killed -- many people continue to use their ReplayTVs for scheduled recordings using the provided guide data. It even works for recordings of OTA digital content (albeit require local processing via something like WiRNS to massage the guide data into something that works). All units are now effectively lifetime, and even if the official guide servers go offline, there will continue to be ways to get live guide data.

That said, I think most folks are like me and leaving their ReplayTVs behind because their don't record in HD. I was really happy with mine two units until I bought that blasted LCD TV, and the difference between the OTA digital and the ReplayTV recording became all too obvious. This is the likely reason that they have little resale value. (my two units are still in service, but I've effecitvely replaced with with an HTPC DVR with 3TB of storage and 2 tuners; at some point, I'll just turn the ReplayTVs off).

Anyway, I don't think you'll have any luck using the ReplayTV as a NAS. The hardware is really limited and you can't run other software on it at all (... strike the "at all" and replace with "easily" if you really think want to waste lots of time).

I also don't see any value what-so-ever in putting that 80G drive into an existing server. If you are going to continue to waste the power to spin the disk, I suspect you'd be better off picking up refurb 320G drives for $15.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I guess you're right about the HDD. The newer ones are so much more efficient. The one that is in the Replay is a MAXTOR. My experience with those drives is terrible.
This Replay unit is at least 6yrs old, so it probably doesn't have much life left in it anymore anyway.

Thanks for your help

FW
post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You can still sell them on ebay, someone just posted they got $80 for one and $50 for another he had.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5 View Post

I guess you're right about the HDD. The newer ones are so much more efficient. The one that is in the Replay is a MAXTOR. My experience with those drives is terrible.
This Replay unit is at least 6yrs old, so it probably doesn't have much life left in it anymore anyway.

Thanks for your help

FW

I'd be really happy if I got 6 years of 24x7 lifetime out of my newer hard drives. I've got 4 RTVs still in regular (daily) use around the hours for basic timeshifting stuff (my wife's soap operas for example) where digital is not important, but I have a cableco HD DVR for the important stuff (Fox Soccer) as well. You'll be prying the RTV remote out of my wife's hands before she let's them go. In 3 yrs of using the cableco DVR she still hasn't mastered it. She got the RTV in under a week! I've still got 2 brand new 5508's sitting in the garage from a sale way long ago, just in case. WOuld that make me a technical luddite?

3RTV over ethernet + DVA show server over buffalo wireless
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page