Powerline XAV's not networking RTV's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5040 and a 5508, which have been connected successfully via powerline's XE102's for many years. A few months ago one of the XE102's started dropping the network and red lighting on the network LED occasionally.

IIRC it was at about the same time that our utility company put us on computerized electrical meters that are read from their office. They came to the house to change out the meter, and I made sure everything was turned off and disconnected before they shut off the power. When the power came back on, I reconnected all the electrical and electronic devices. The RTV's did not see each other, but I thought perhaps it took a bit of time maybe a few hours. Next day, I had a red light on the livingroom XE102s outlet signal strength light.

I thought the XE102s could be wearing out, so I replaced all of them with XAV2101's.

No joy.

One change at a time, I have factory reset, swapped, shifted from outlet to outlet, passworded, and un-passworded the XAVs. The XAVs show connection to the router, but each Replay sees only itself.

The Netgear Powerline Utility shows both RTVs' XAVs connected at the router, but neither XAV shows a green line to the other at this time. Since I failed to check this before the electrical changeover I do not know if they are supposed to "see" each other or just connect through the router.

Once, when shifting from outlet to outlet seeking a better connection, both RTVs connected for several hours. The next day they were un-connected. I had changed nothing.

When I switched to the XAV's, I left the IP settings in the RTVs as they were when everything worked.

At this point, I have shifted from Manual IP to DHCP to manual IP address. Each time leaving the settings for a couple of days to see if the RTVs would "find" each other.

The IPs settings are acceptable numbers within my home range.

When I select Automated both RTV's grab the same settings as they had previously.

Any ideas? My suspicion lies in something I need to do to the XAV's.

BMaryann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 12
Not a powerline user, but I know that house wiring consists of two separate 120V lines coming through the electric meter, so it is possible that the installation of a smart meter could affect performance; the powerline gear manufacturer should know.

Meanwhile, it might be interesting to see if the system would work properly if everything was plugged into the same outlet (or at least outlets controlled by the same breaker) to be sure all were on the same side of the AC line.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

The replays are on the same circuit, but I just moved one XAV (5040) to the outlet next to the 5508. Now the 5508 can see the 5040 but the 5040 cannot see the 5508. I did a release and renew on the 5040 and saved settings but it still sees only itself.

Researching smart meters reveals electronic interference and fixes to same. I'll contact netgear on Monday if I can't find the last tweak to this puzzle.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 12
And the Replays are on the same circuit as the router?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

yes they are on the same circuit, but following many swaps of cables and outlets, the non-receiving Replay went dead (blue light no response black screen).

I hooked up another replay and connection was made.

Now to pull the drive and see if I can rescue the shows I was trying to pull before it took the final dive.

Thanks for all your input.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page