a possibly different boot loop question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read through what feels like all of the threads here, but haven't run across this particular issue, so I thought I would ask those who seem to know!

Replay 5040, with its original drive. Almost 10 years and still going strong! well, until now...

Background: Our broadband connection went out, and so the guide didn't populate, Being impatient, I switched the connection to modem, and tried to connect that way, but there was no response from the server. I believe that I switched back, but to tell the truth, that's a bit foggy. I did unplug the replay to power it down, hoping that it would cause the modem connection to work . At present, i can't tell you how the network connect is configured.

Since that moment, the following is happening, which might be purely coincidental.

With the network cable plugged in, The Replay will display please wait, the film please wait, the pre swirl screen, and then the swirl screen, and about 3-5 seconds later, will power off and do the whole thing again. This can continue for a day or so (that's as long as I have let it go, at least) I cannot power off the replay at all using the power button. It just starts the cycle again.

If I unplug the network cable, then I get the please wait, the second (film) please wait, and then a flicker, the power light goes out for a brief moment (you have to really watch to even see it) and then it begins again. this will go on ad infinitum. I cannot power off the replay at all using the power button. It just starts the cycle again.

Unplugging all inputs, the phone line, the outputs, and every configuration of things plugged in or not changes nothing in this behaviour.

I pulled the HD, and can see it in rtv Extract and can pull shows from it. I can see the xml files that appear to relate to all the recordings and so forth, so I am thinking there may be something corrupt, but I can't find this exact behavior noted here in any threads.

I have not had the chance to test the voltages at the output, so that's next on the list. Would that cause this issue?

There it is, any clues?

I have wanted to upgrade the storage so I can just hoard shows and never watch them ....including Hoarders .... and I have a Maxtor DiamondMax BL160PO (I think) sitting around. Would that be compatible, or do I want to look for a QuickView drive just to be safe? Would it be a good drive to use to reimage from a clean file to check things out?

On another note, since I can pull the content off the original drive, and the set recordings, and transfer them to a new drive if I need to go that route? I thought I had seen a thread about that here, but I can't seem to find it now. A link would be great so no one has to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is one of the smartest communities on the net that I have run into. People love their RTV's (myself included)

Cheers,

Pix Smith
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM

The only thing I can think of that happens at the very end is that the RTV performs a file system check. Your situation is typical of a two drive system when something is wrong with the second hard drive and the RTV doesn't figure that out until is has completely booted. The other thing that happens at the end is that the network gets enabled, but since you have tested with the Ethernet disconnected, you have already eliminated that possibility. So, it seems like something must be corrupt, but I don't know why it isn't something that the RTV should repair when it boots. You could try running RTVPatch and Backup Source Drive to see if it has any problems at all reading the system partition.

I don't know for sure if that Maxtor drive would be compatible. Howerver, the most compatible drives you can get are the Seagate DB35 and SV35 drives, so I would look for one of those.

If you want to get the content off the drive for off-line usage, those instructions are here: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61762#61762. However, there is no way to transfer them to a new drive except to use RTVPatch to copy the original drive to the new drive, which you wouldn't want to do if there turns out to be a problem with the original drive. So, if it turns out the problem is with the original drive, then you'll need to put a fresh image on your replacement hard drive (see this post: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61760#61760) and then you'll be starting over from scratch. You can use extract_rtv5 to get all your existing shows onto your PC so that you can then use DVArchive to view them on your RTV with the new hard drive installed. You can also use extract_rtv5 to "see" all your recording schedules so that you can program those again on your RTV with the new hard drive installed.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. At least I think I am on the right track.

Thanks also for the links. I appreciate it!

One last thing, at no point in the process does the fan come on either. From what I understand, it only congress on at the end of a successful boot. Does anyone know if a defective fan would stop the boot from completing?

Thanks again for all the help.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM

It depends on which revision mother board it has. If it has a newer motherboard, then the fan should start running when it switches to the "One moment please..." screen (what you are calling the film screen) as indicated here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/replaytvappearsdead.htm. However, if it has an older, original motherboard, then the fan should start running at power up, and there isn't any detection of if the fan is working or not. A newer motherboard should detect the fan not running and display a message.

If you have another drive that you can test with, like the DiamondMax (which may not boot), then you can try putting a fresh image on the drive and plug that into the RTV and see if it boots fully and if the fan runs. Then you could at least pin it down to software corruption on your current drive.

The other thing you could do is put a voltmeter on the fan pins and see if it ever delivers 12 volts. If it does and the fan isn't running, then the fan is bad.

Either way, the fan not running is really bad and the unit will overheat.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Reporting back with some progress...

Was able to back up the old drive with no issues, and then patched a new image to the new drive (which worked flawlessly) . A little issue with the display right after installation, but after powering off, letting it reboot and turn itself off, it came back up with no troubles at all.

Now going to try to patch and copy the old information to the new drive and see where that gets me. The fan wasn't coming on, and I got the fan lock message, so I unplugged it and replugged it, and it started right up with no troubles. It's possible that I didn't plug it back in all the way when I was doing my initial troubleshooting though.

Thanks for all the advice -- it's what saved me loads of diagnostic time, and led me down the path to an almost bottomless well of shows now if I want! Right -- I am sure I'll fill it up pretty quickly regardless...

Thanks again!

Pix Smith
Dallas, TX
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page