This place is really DEAD- and a converter box question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This place is really dead.
I still have three ReplayTV units running.
I guess I am one of the few these days.

Is anyone there?

I am thinking of getting an ATSC converter box to use with ReplayTV.
I have a selection of the CECB units but I would like something with a better picture.

I have to say I have the ReplayTV units set to high quality, and as long as I don't look at the OTA signal on the TV I am satisfied.

If I do look, I become dissatisfied. I looked tonight. My bad.

So can anyone recommend a more than likely non coupon eligible converter box that works with ReplayTV and ATSC OTA signals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well first off, yes it looks a little dead ( I check this forum at least 2-3 times a week just to see if anything new is happening.), but that should not be a big surprise either. After all Replay TVs are dinosaurs now. Not for any other reason then that they don't do HD, and just about everyone has an HD TV. Once you get used to HD, a SD picture looks really bad, especially for sports. But with that said, I still think Replay TV has the best user interface of any HD I've used. That would include TIVO, Comcast's piece of ---- (used it just 1 day), Dish, and DVR Pal. One of the reasons I bought Replay over TIVO on day one, at least 10 years ago, was the user interface seemed so intuitive. Best Buy was having a big intro thing and had them setup side by side with reps from each company. Replay was clearly the best. But just like the better Beta-Max lost out over VHS, Replay did too.

So to the second point of your post. OTA set top boxes. I am not sure these are even available anymore, but I have used the CM 7000 for the network stations for the 2 years I was using Dish for everything else. Worked very well with Replay without having to monkey around with anything. Had an excellent picture. But when I switched back to Comcast about 2 years ago I no longer needed that function so they are sitting on the shelf till a need comes up again. I am sure the need will eventually come up. I know there are some issues mentioned in this forum about the bad CAPs and the boxes failing. So I may have to address that some day. But the boxes worked well and I can recommend.

I guess I haven't mentioned that my Home Theater setup includes a new Panasonic 55 inch Plasma TV, an Onkyo TX-717 home theater receiver, 2 Replay 5040 (connected to Comcast - 1 in living room, 1 in master bedroom), and a CM 7000 PAL DVR (OTA only). As I said earlier I had a Comcast DVR and it was a piece of junk and I wasn't about to spend $1 a month on that thing so kept it just 1 day and hooked up my Replay's instead. But I missed my sports in HD so bought the DVR PAL. It works well and is reliable but does not compare with Replay in any way. If it would give me the ability to limit the number of episode to record and to record only new episodes, I'd rate it pretty high. I should also mention that my Onkyo receiver up-converts all its inputs and outputs them at 1080p to my Panny. Does a real good job and makes Replay look every better but of course not true HD. I did have a up-converter box hooked up (a cheapee from China) which worked pretty good, but when I got the Onkyo it became obsolete.

So Replay TV lives! I think I will be using mine for a long time. I actually have a 3rd Replay 5040 which I recently acquired and put in the back bedroom so my son can have a dedicated box hooked to our Slingbox. He is in Korea and can watch all the US stuff he likes. Bought a 4th Replay on Ebay recently as a pure backup. So in total I have 4. So I expect to be using mine for a long time. By the way, all are hooked up to Wirns.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

This place is really dead.
I still have three ReplayTV units running.
I guess I am one of the few these days.

Is anyone there?

I am thinking of getting an ATSC converter box to use with ReplayTV.
I have a selection of the CECB units but I would like something with a better picture.

I have to say I have the ReplayTV units set to high quality, and as long as I don't look at the OTA signal on the TV I am satisfied.

If I do look, I become dissatisfied. I looked tonight. My bad.

So can anyone recommend a more than likely non coupon eligible converter box that works with ReplayTV and ATSC OTA signals?

I was on this forum (as well as the WiRNS one) at the time of the threat to end Replay service. I could check the forums every hour or two and there'd be new messages.

I have 7 or 8 Replays.

One of those is one of the first 2020 units, which still works some times. The clock capacitor went bad (around the time people were posting on that problem) and I have installed manual clock set. Since that requires UTC, it's easier to set it before 6PM (after that, converting to UTC requires changing more than just the hour).

The others are 5xxx units, using WiRNS 3. I had bought 3 of them from Sonic Blue, and the others later from eBay (one for less than $10). BTW, the differences between <5500 and 5500+ are irrelevant in this setup (WiRNS3, registry entries, and the patched software).

As to ATSC converter boxes, I have a RCA DTA800B1L box I got at the time of the coupons. which works OK with a 5xxx Replay. However, I heard from someone unable to get the Replay to control a later version of this converter.
post #4 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM

The posts are pretty old, but I would first read: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1008500/the-over-the-air-digital-to-analog-converter-box-compatable-with-replaytvs-thread and http://www.avsforum.com/t/1063072/cecb-compatibility-list-with-5000-series-so-far. Not many of those CECBs are available any longer, but I think at least one of them is still sold at Walmart or Target or somewhere like those, like maybe the RCA model, which I think wasn't a very good model. But, maybe those threads will help you in determining which converts give he best picture quality. And, I would definitely check out whatever is available from Channel Master. I think they produced a Clear QAM tuner that would work for cable systems, but I don't remember if it also did OTA or not. I think it was called the 7001 or 7002.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 18
I subscribe to this forum to keep up with what's going on - which isn't much of late. But I still find it so useful to keep my 3 Replay units working and most of my questions get answered within the same day.

To me, ReplayTV is essential. First, my kids have grown up with ReplayTV and after 10 years still don't know why they can't skip commercials at their friends house. Now I love my kids, but I am not going to spend $15 a month with the cable company or TIVO so they can have a DVR in their playroom. They don't care about HD and the DVR is essential to get them to do their chores and not miss their favorite programs.

For my wife, she hates watching commericials. Most of what she records is available on demand using the cable box in HD, but she hates that most shows on demand don't let you fast forward, force commericals on you, and shows are not available for a few days after they air. She would rather watch her reality programs the same or next day in SD and skip commercials, than watch in HD.

For me, I like saving $15-30 a month. These units have paid for themselves tenfold over the years.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to look into that Onkyo TX NR717.
With the upscaling that might be a nice addition.

As I mentioned I have a stockpile of those CECB units, but I would rather find something better.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

The posts are pretty old, but I would first read: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1008500/the-over-the-air-digital-to-analog-converter-box-compatable-with-replaytvs-thread and http://www.avsforum.com/t/1063072/cecb-compatibility-list-with-5000-series-so-far. Not many of those CECBs are available any longer, but I think at least one of them is still sold at Walmart or Target or somewhere like those, like maybe the RCA model, which I think wasn't a very good model. But, maybe those threads will help you in determining which converts give he best picture quality. And, I would definitely check out whatever is available from Channel Master. I think they produced a Clear QAM tuner that would work for cable systems, but I don't remember if it also did OTA or not. I think it was called the 7001 or 7002.

I have the CM 7001. It is an ATSC and Clear QAM Tuner. I have uploaded the IR blaster code for it. (It is the same as a ZAT502, and there is an IR code you can upload. Drawback is that you cannot tune sub channels, as this tuner requires a hash to tune subs. You'd need to make a very custom IR code, substituting an unused digit with a hash, along with WiRNS and a good remap file to get it to work. I use it to tune main channels only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish View Post

For me, I like saving $15-30 a month. These units have paid for themselves tenfold over the years.

I cannot begin to tell anyone how much money I have saved over the years with my Replays. I see no reason to get rid of them.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #8 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I posted this on Planetreplay but no responses there.

I figured out the
DISH Solo ViP211k HD Satellite & ATSC Receiver

Is available at a pretty low price and has both a Dish Network HD receiver and a terrestrial ATSC tuner.
Since that ATSC tuner is part of what I wanted to pick up this might fill the bill.

The question is does the ReplayTV guide know about those channels?
post #9 of 19 Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Still running my two boxes very happily, with one more for long-term storage.

There isn't much to say most of the time since they work reliably.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

The question that remains is can the ReplayTV tune the atsc sub channels on that Dish network box?

That was a problem with the Channel Master CM7001 units (not coupon), which while they have a good picture require some conniptions that I am not really willing to fool with for sub channels.

Is there any CECB box that does support sub channels on a RTV 5K unit?

I probably have one of each. I kind of stockpiled them when they were *free*. Or nearly so. But I'd still like something that is better, those CECB units were dumbed down, they could only work certain ways to be eligible.

Some manufacturer said he would introduce a new firmware for their CECB after the coupon program was over and it would have much better capabilities. Does anyone remember which that was?
post #11 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The question that remains is can the ReplayTV tune the atsc sub channels on that Dish network box?

That was a problem with the Channel Master CM7001 units (not coupon), which while they have a good picture require some conniptions that I am not really willing to fool with for sub channels.

CM-7000 units. (I have two). But you will need to use WiRNS for a custom line-up (i.e. - redefine channel 4.1 as 41) and tell your RTV to send three digits. The problem will be that ATSC OTA lineups are not supported by the DNNA servers, so you will need to create your own from either a SD lineup or a local cable TV lineup using WiRNS.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #12 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Quote:

CM-7000 units. (I have two). But you will need to use WiRNS for a custom line-up (i.e. - redefine channel 4.1 as 41) and tell your RTV to send three digits. The problem will be that ATSC OTA lineups are not supported by the DNNA servers, so you will need to create your own from either a SD lineup or a local cable TV lineup using WiRNS.

Cheers!
-Doug

If you only need access to the main (- 1) sub channels, then I believe you can make that work without WiRNS by simply choosing one of the satellite lineups which has the local channel numbers correct on the ReplayTV and deleting the non-local channels. Then, when the ReplayTV tunes to channel 4, for example, after a delay the tuner should tune to channel 4-1 on its own. I'm not sure but maybe even setting Send Enter might make it help tune to channel 4-1 right away if the ReplayTV sends 4 and then Enter. If you read those old threads, I believe those were all about making things work with local channels WITHOUT WiRNS or anything special, and I believe that was the recommended way of setting things up.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

If you only need access to the main (- 1) sub channels, then I believe you can make that work without WiRNS by simply choosing one of the satellite lineups which has the local channel numbers correct on the ReplayTV and deleting the non-local channels. Then, when the ReplayTV tunes to channel 4, for example, after a delay the tuner should tune to channel 4-1 on its own. I'm not sure but maybe even setting Send Enter might make it help tune to channel 4-1 right away if the ReplayTV sends 4 and then Enter. If you read those old threads, I believe those were all about making things work with local channels WITHOUT WiRNS or anything special, and I believe that was the recommended way of setting things up.

The poster was talking about abilities to tune sub-channels.

I used my CM-7001's as you describe to tune main channels, but not the subs. And yes, I used a local cable-TV lineup that had "matching" OTA channels.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #14 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Replay TV users are a rare breed... and I may be forced to get rid if my decade old bedroom Replay 3K since my cable system [TWC-nyc] is not just getting rid of analog in august but also clearQAM which takes my magnavox MDR515H/F7 out of the picture as well...
TWC is offering DTA boxes which i assume will have no timer functionality whatsoever and most likely will be controllable by Replay's ir blaster.... Oh well maybe I can find a Tivo that takes a cablecard on Ebay frown.gif
post #15 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

TWC is offering DTA boxes which i assume will have no timer functionality whatsoever and most likely will be controllable by Replay's ir blaster....

You have to be careful, I hear that the latest TWC DTA boxes use RF remotes instead, so they won't operate via the IR blaster.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Really RF remotes?, thats a new thing I never heard of... reminds me of really old remotes that use to use tuning tones to control basic TV functions...if thats the case then that takes out any kind of IR controlling capability from an IR blaster or a specialty remote that could control a device by time/date etc... I don't even know who makes the boxes, the info isn't very clear on TWC website,just that guide with a DTA box acting like Johnny5

Sucks that it has come to this due to people getting QAM for free by out right or because they get just the internet and split it to a TV...its a two punch knoockout or more if you count the ability to just watch it on a TV.... I'm not thrilled with doing another DVR box from TWC, guess its time to see which basic TiVO [or other DVR/DVDr] that takes a CableCard... or record less in the bedroom [mostly news and daytime stuff for the missus] or one channel at a time with the DTA rolleyes.gif

I have a Leapfrog stored somewhere, wonder if there are any that would transmit via HDMI ?
post #17 of 19 Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Really RF remotes?, thats a new thing I never heard of... reminds me of really old remotes that use to use tuning tones to control basic TV functions...if thats the case then that takes out any kind of IR controlling capability from an IR blaster or a specialty remote that could control a device by time/date etc... I don't even know who makes the boxes, the info isn't very clear on TWC website,just that guide with a DTA box acting like Johnny5

They're probably something like Bluetooth. You have to pair the remote with the DTA. If you think about it, they started out including a remote extender so that you could "hide" the DTA and only expose the remote extender. But, using RF technology, now you don't have to expose anything. I have to admit that TWC is using a very nice DTA compared to other providers, and they seem to be trying to make as easy of an out-of-box expericence as possible. By using RF and pairing the remotes with the DTAs, there's pretty much nothing to mess up.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Meh... bluetooth remotes, why screw with what works and is easier [and prob cheaper]...
I did see another post about here aboot Replay's 5K's controlling the Cisco box with code 277 maybe they are still IR remotes, but since I only have 3K replays and showstoppers i might be SOL... I'll pick a couple up on friday if the TWC is open, it bites that they include coax and HDMI but no A/V out and I'm sure there will be no way of getting anamorphic 16;9 thru the coax out. ... Wish there was more of a filter box or some other device you could place in your home and it would still allow you to use the TV's or maggy MDR515H/F7 digital tuner.
Its a conspiracy i tell ya, they want you to get more DVR boxes... wink.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Because they say one of the purposes of the DTA is for VCRs, maybe they still offer the IR remote version as well for just such purposes. And, the coax out is 16x9 for the HD channels. They allow you to tune the HD channels for all the local stations. And, it also outputs stereo audio out the coax, so you basically get everything you need from the coax output.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page