current way to do software update? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a 5080 with old software (at least a few versions). It updates the guide, etc. without a problem, and while it can see the other units, cannot load their shows. I want to update the software. On Net Connect, it starts, but fails after 1%. I interpret that as meaning the software is no longer available on the RTV servers. Does that mean that my only options for updating to the most recent software is either rtv patch or WIRNS? I am starting to set up a RTV windows box so I can repair another hard drive, but I am asking if there anything else I can try first for this machine.

Thanks,
Susan
RTV lover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 PM

First try a software update only. Using 2-4-3-Zones, select the software update, which I think is item 18. A lot of times that will succeed where a net connect will not.

Second, I would download the lastest version from ReplayTVUpgrade and install that with RTVPatch. Then you would go through the quick setup, and then perform another net connect to get the drive fully updated.

WiRNS would allow you to upgraded the software on your current unit, but you'd have to build the update files yourself. The files posted on WIRNS.com are to upgrade to a special version of the firmware which allows 55xx's to operate with IVS and CA, which isn't exactly what you want. So, hopefully you can either get the software update only to work, or reimage the drive with the latest image.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

First choice would be great, but this software is so old, that it doesn't have an #18. It stops at #15. The Net Connect #7 was the only thing to try, and that is what failed.

So, RTV patch may be the only hope. I have it loaded on a PC, but that PC isn't home yet. I have been looking at the instructions and it looks like you have to start with a backup from another drive, which I can do (I have a couple HDs not in units). So, will it just make a copy of that backup on another disk (like for an upgrading)? Is there a way to load just the RTV OS without having to do a backup load or is the backup load the best way? I also have a couple of old XP HDs that I want to convert to RTV.

Sad thing is that a lot of the resource sites linked from that site are now gone.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

So, RTV patch may be the only hope. I have it loaded on a PC, but that PC isn't home yet. I have been looking at the instructions and it looks like you have to start with a backup from another drive, which I can do (I have a couple HDs not in units). So, will it just make a copy of that backup on another disk (like for an upgrading)? Is there a way to load just the RTV OS without having to do a backup load or is the backup load the best way? I also have a couple of old XP HDs that I want to convert to RTV.

Sad thing is that a lot of the resource sites linked from that site are now gone.

Not sure what linked resource sites you are talking about, but the complete instructions, including the images to download so that you don't need a backup from another drive, are on ReplayTVUpgrade. And, step-by-step instructions are available on PlanetReplay here.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think I just found the instructions and image files on replaytvupgrade. When I get the XP box with patch home, I will download the image and then just reimage the drive with the old software (don't care about lost shows).
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

I think I just found the instructions and image files on replaytvupgrade. When I get the XP box with patch home, I will download the image and then just reimage the drive with the old software (don't care about lost shows).

Be sure and read the step-by-step instructions from the post on PlanetReplay: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61760#61760 which will tell you exactly how to accomplish this and has working links to everything you need!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

The links I referred to are on the RTV patch site - at the bottom of the homepage.

RTVupgrade now hosts Mikeyboy's stuff, which is great, but there were some other sites that looked interesting too.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's a chance the PERC/Laho Goodwill program will upgrade your unit if you just point your DNS to our servers. Look at percdata.com for instructions on setting your unit up for LaHo (or look a the WiRNS forum). Don't set up an account at percdata.com, just have your Replay poll anonymously.

You can also ask Henry over at the WiRNS Laho forum if it would upgrade a unit as old as yours.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Robert. I will give Henry a ping over on planetreplay.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page