Over and Out..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Finally retired our last Replay yesterday.
My wife can now get her Greek channels from our cable provider ($15/month) and record them on their DVR or my Tivo-HD so we canceled the DishNet subscription ($45+/month) and removed the IRD and the Replay 5040 she was recording her shows to. Our cable co has gone all digital in the last year- so no way to use the Replay on their system. All our TV's are HD and every TV gets just QAM, or needs a set top box or DVR from them now.

Kind of sad- the Replay's although 10+ years old still had a better GUI than the Tivo-HD and the cable co SA 8300HD DVR frown.gif

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You have Tivo. Why do you also rent the cableco's crappy DVR??

Just do whole house. New Tivo Roamio looks good, or else the standard bearer for Replay fugitives, Windows Media Center with commercial skip installed.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

You have Tivo. Why do you also rent the cableco's crappy DVR??

Just do whole house. New Tivo Roamio looks good, or else the standard bearer for Replay fugitives, Windows Media Center with commercial skip installed.
The cable co DVR was free for the first two years- so I took it.
The 2 year deal is up this month, I think the DVR will go back, once you add up all the fees- it's about $20/month to rent it!
I'm considering a second TiVo...

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #4 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I put up a OTA antenna and was blown away by the quality of HD compared to Comcast and DirecTV...most OTA stuff is not compressed or compressed very little. I don't watch a lot of stuff and I what I get over the air is fine, anything else I can get online using my HTPC and so I've cancelled my DirecTV service...$70 a month in my pocket now!.

Bought an HDTV capture card from my Linux HTPC and now run Mythtv as my DVR...my poor ReplayTV while still in the entertainment center hasn't been plugged in for over a year now. But I do miss the ReplayTV's commercial skip feature, it worked a hell of a lot better the MythTV's commercial skip feature...or maybe broadcasters have caught on to commercial skip.

In any case I do miss the ReplayTV I guess for sentimental reasons, it was way ahead of its time when I got her in the early 2000's and up to last year was still working faithfully with the original 80G HD!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I can say that when I retired my Replays--all of them 50xx--back in March of 2011, Mythbusters had for the previous year or so become entirely problematic with respect to the Replays skipping commercials. It just didn't do it. One day in 2010, all of the sudden, no Mythbusters would skip.

I have Windows Media Center with ShowAnalyzer, and it works fine.

While the broadcasters have caught on to us hobbyists somewhat, the tweaking capability is sufficient to overcome that. CBS is a problem and needs special attention, but now that it's done everything is OK.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I retired my Replay after many years of faithful service. I had started watching HD OTA with an antenna and I saw what a difference it made. I was using a Channel Master dvr and while that was good, the guide function sucked. So I eventually decided to go the TIVO route and shelled out the money for the lifetime route (lifetime of unit as they say in the fine print). Got the cable card installed (San Bruno Cable) and use both OTA and cable to watch television (I just have a local broadcast subscription). I miss some of the Replay features with TIVO but I am glad I moved over so I can watch HD programming through it. So now my Replay unit sits unplugged and unused. It was a great in its day but sadly has been passed by and failed to keep up.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Which Tivo did you get? You say it records both OTA and cable?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a Tivo series 3, like this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-Series-3-TCD648250B-OLED-THX-Lifetime-Service-116-Hours-of-HD-750GB-/331092004683?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item4d169f0f4b

Records 2 programs at a time and can record from OTA or Cable (with cable card).

Got it from EBAY too.

A stop gap for my HD recording needs till I get my HTPC all setup. If you are a Replay person and this is your 1st Tivo, there will probably be many things you dislike about Tivo (the case with me). But... the only thing out there.

The new Tivos (to my understanding) don't do OTA, but best you check it out for yourself as I don't claim to be a Tivo expert. All I can say about Tivo is that it is reliable.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

The new entry level Tivo Roamio does either OTA or cableCARD. 4 tuners.

The next models up have more hard drive space, built-in streaming capability (requires an add-on for the entry level unit), 6 tuners, and require cableCARD. No OTA. The only difference between the two upper models is hard drive space.

I've had 4 tuners for a few years now; I can live with that. Were I going Tivo, I'd happily trade off those two extra tuners in exchange for having OTA capability if I wanted to switch to that (very much a possibility). As for hard drive space, that's always upgradeable.

Back in the day, three lifetime Replays was how much? $1500? You had three separate recording tanks--no unified recording schedule--and streaming between rooms. Nowadays a three room lifetime Tivo setup with 4 tuners and unified recording schedule is, um, $1200. Plus tax and maybe some remotes and extended warranty, call it the same $1500. It's impressive that 10 years later the cost hasn't gone up while a bunch of the technology has improved (multiple cableCARD tuners, streaming to remote devices, etc).

At the same time, it's sad that 10 years later a bunch of superior Replay technology got dumped in the trash can, and the only way to get it back is to roll your own DVR (Myth, WMC, etc).
post #10 of 14 Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What you say at the end there is very true. Glad you found a Tivo that does what you need.
Merry Christmas!
post #11 of 14 Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Which Tivo did you get? You say it records both OTA and cable?

I got a dual tuner Premiere that works with antenna and cable. The channel guide has both so I can easily scroll through it. I do miss some Replay features like easy switching between recorded and live, but I am generally satisfied with Tivo thus far. I watch OTA but switch to cable when reception gets shaky or otherwise unwatchable.

Happy New Year!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We broke down over Christmas and got Verizon FIOS, and paid the extra for their DVR. We have just the single room version, and I HATE paying monthly for it, but I have to admit it's not bad. And the kids rarely bother us cause they can use their various devices and watch the shows they want in their 'caves'. I have to force them out once in a while just to remember what they look like. The thing I hate most about the FIOS guide is that their guide is not as easy to 'delete' channels from as Replay was. There are still some channels we don't subscribe to that show on the guide, taunting us.... Not sure if there is another use for the Replay. I might try to hook it up with the outdoor security cameras for a spare recording of events....
post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM

It's getting bad when ReplayRob is just Rob. smile.gif

Opened the thread because ReplayRob has been a mainstay for years.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM

That is bad............LOL!

O==wrench==C
--------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version