Anyone still out there regularly using one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 96 Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 5040 Replay TV I've been using upstairs. Never really updated it or did anything to it in terms of adding a big hard drive. Can't justify adding more HD DVR boxes, though I'll admit this doesn't do justice on the Pioneer and doesn't do HD but it doesn't cost anything either, I'd be running a new cable line up here for that and its just too much headache. Its like a tapeless VCR with a guide a few clicks and I'm done, DVR speed old school video qaulity, Use it to record a few sitcoms my wife likes to watch all older standard def stuff, and a local channel that broadcasts old shows like Night Gallery.

I bought it long after the fact, but in the null and void period Its been better in the respect of a DVD recorder or VCR (I have SHVS ones that would still yield respectable results on modern feeds) simply because of the guide service.

Will the guide ever really end? Or is Panasonic really supporting it these days for PR purposes for their old Showstoppers? I doubt it costs much to maintain it. It is like that lifetime activated XM radio, you're neverious for the few months after you bought it but 4 years later it is still humming along.

Always wondering when they'll cut it off, but every so often I'll wake up at 2 or 3 and the blue LED is on and the guide is updating.

Is it just gonna be one of those things that someone somewhere finally pulls the plug on?

I'll admit it does a pretty commendable job of skipping commercials on some of these shows after all these years. Can watch some virtually commercial free.

Can't imagine that I'm the only one still using one still!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
fyi u can still use the replay even after the guide service ceases although wirns servers will work as long as needed. there is a secret code that enables the replay to function in a manual-vcr like manner:)---d
post #3 of 96 Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
still have 3 units going strong using standard guide. 2 units have upgraded hdd.
post #4 of 96 Old 10-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 10
I also have three 5040's online (two have HDD upgrades), and two spares. I use WiRNS/SD for guide data on two and DNNA for the other (just because I can - who knows for how long). I use the ReplayTV's for most of my viewing/recording and a crappy TWC DVR for occasional HD viewing. My senior citizen eyes don't need critical quality (except for some content) but effective commercial skip IS important to me!
post #5 of 96 Old 10-06-2013, 04:06 PM

I have three units and all are working well. I'm using WiRNS so I'm not really concerned if they cut off 'official' service. In fact once you have WiRNS set up and running you really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the 'official' service.
post #6 of 96 Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have 2 55xx networked using the original guide data feed and 1 ShowStopper on a phone line. There are as reliable as the day they were plugged in. Well, the SS does lose the guide a couple or few times every year. That's because, as I understand it, the phone lines were downgraded by whatever company owns them now. All three record less than in the past as my tastes moved more toward DVD and HDTV. Nevertheless, I'm happy with past experiences and continue to record with them. My plan is to get second HD DVR, whole home service, TiVo, or Media Center when the 2 55xx go belly up.

Arvy
post #7 of 96 Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 14
I have 7 5xxx Replays (2 on digital cable boxes), getting schedules through WiRNS3. Mostly, I watch though one of these, watching shows on the others through the network. I especially like that recordings are available on the network without any @#$% DRM (they're just for my own use, but that stuff interferes with that). I'd like to have HD, but access to the recordings is more important. Also, JIT scheduling (feature of WiRNS) is just what I want It schedules shows on any Replay, avoiding conflicts. 4 of the Replays have had drives replaced with 160GB ones (I have drives for the other 3 when they need them). As well as the other stuff, I like fixing stuff and having DVRs I can control (through WiRNS). Among other things, I used it to enable the SHOWGUARD feature to avoid missing the last bit of shows.

BTW, one thing I could use on JIT is multiple channel ranges. The cable here has HD channels (which I prefer) on 700-799 and the others on 2-499, so I would like to be able to set channel range to 700-799,2-499 (that is, any channel but prefer HD)

I also have an old Replay 2020 (probably one of the forst 2020s made). It lacks a clock capacitor (I use manual clock set when necessary), and requires a lot of reboots and manual net connects. It's special since it's my first Replay. I also use it when people think the guide is shut down.

BTW, as to manual clock set, you don't need to change the display brightness. Just use the menu as if you're going to.
post #8 of 96 Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have 3 TIVO dvrs and 2 Replay Machines. I was given a 5040 unit. Unfortunately it is no where near my router so it doesn't get guide updates anymore. The dial up modem connects to RTV, but doesn't get pgm info. It has been running just fine without it. The clock has drifted off a bit, but not more than 5 min. I use manual records to record a show from the cable co box on the video in jacks. My other showstopper is used to record from my satellite dish. It gets daily program updates from Replay, and very rarely ever misses one.
post #9 of 96 Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM

u can get a wireless bridge if u have a wireless router off ebay for about 40.00 bucks--d ---by the way ive got 11- 5ks and 3- 4ks and a 65 inch upconverting widescreen:)
post #10 of 96 Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM

I've got 3 5040s all upgraded with larger disks. One in the living room attached to my Onyko receiver which upgrades all inputs to 1080p and is attached to my Panny 65 inch Plasma TV. The Replay looks great in this mode, but still not as good as true HD. Also have one in the master bedroom which my wife uses for all her stuff, and then one in the back bedroom which is attached to a SlingBox so my son can watch all his shows from Korea. I have 2 "spares" as well. When you can now get them for about $50 total (including shipping) on EBay, why not. Some day they will all be history. I also have a ChannelMaster CM7000 attached to antenna so I can record OTA HD. I got that when it looked like the Replay service was going away. But I have actually been very happy with it. It's reliable except for when the DST rolls around. If it could just limit itself to how many episodes to keep, I'd love it. It's interface sure beats Tivo's. But speaking of Tivo, just a couple of months ago I finally broke down and bought a Tivo Series 3 that records 2 shows at a time in HD. I just missed not getting all my sports in HD (particularly the Golf Channel). If not for sports, I would be very happy with the quality of the Replay even though they are very old. I was an early adopter of Replay. Had an original 3000 when they were 1st introduced. I later passed it onto my daughter. She used it until it looked like the Replay service would stop and then bought a CM 7000 as well. I put all my Replays on WIRNS and have been very happy with that situation. Some people may be wondering why not a Comcast DVR since I do have Comcast. Well, I went with Comcast about 2 1/2 years ago. I had their DVR for a total of 1 day. No way was I going to pay $10 a month for that piece of junk. I understand the new X1 is a lot better. But for now I am very happy with my configuration.

I must admit I complain almost daily about that 1 Tivo I have. Replay's user interface is just so much better, and Tivo's "season pass" records a bunch of stuff that I don't want. No way to limit it to a single day of the week or a particular time (+ or - one show like Replay). Had I not been able to get the hack for the 30 second skip, I would be even more unhappy. And nothing beats Replay's automatic commercial advance. Sure it misses some, but probably catches 75-80% of them.

Probably in the future I will eventually go to a HTPC. Seems like that is the only way to get everything I want with viewing from multiple rooms etc. My 1 Tivo I bought on EBay with lifetime service. It was a good value, but I hate the interface so much, no way I will spend big money for a Roamio with Lifetime. That is why I figure the HTPC will be my final configuration at some point.
post #11 of 96 Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I own five 50xx and one 55xx. Love them. I am on WiRNS, and have no reason to retire them. Watching in HD is not as important as watching. I have no intention of upgrading / replacing any time soon.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #12 of 96 Old 10-11-2013, 09:02 AM

I have 4 currently working, and another 2-3 spares in the basement. Since we watch TV as we do other things, and we move from room to room, we like what the RTV does for us. We may start a show while making & eating dinner, and then head to the living room to finish the show.

We don't have any HDTVs in the house, so the need for HD is moot. Also, our 80 lb dog watches TV too, and when a dog or especially a horse or camel (HUMP DAY!!!) is on he charges the TV to bark and nip at it. Not sure how a light weight LED TV would hold up to this!

I also have DVArchive and WiRNS running to be able to control and schedule shows when out of the house, and to serve shows/movies that we've archived to the PC's hard drive.

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
post #13 of 96 Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post

I have 4 currently working, and another 2-3 spares in the basement. Since we watch TV as we do other things, and we move from room to room, we like what the RTV does for us. We may start a show while making & eating dinner, and then head to the living room to finish the show.

This keeps coming up among RTV users, and it's presented as if it's a special thing--but believe me, it's not. You don't need RTV to do this very simple thing. Plenty of other systems out there do the exact same thing.

It's like bragging that the windows in your '69 Buick roll up and down.
post #14 of 96 Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

This keeps coming up among RTV users, and it's presented as if it's a special thing--but believe me, it's not. You don't need RTV to do this very simple thing. Plenty of other systems out there do the exact same thing.

It's like bragging that the windows in your '69 Buick roll up and down.
my dtv can do two at a time, they all do it but why the hate:eek:
post #15 of 96 Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

"hate"?

How about "exasperation". So you have something that you think is unique, but you're thinking that only because of your lack of awareness of the outside world.

And when you present your "uniqueness" like that to the outside world, you look like a fool. And the world does not suffer fools gladly.

If "I can stop in one room and resume in another" is one of your biggest arguments for keeping Replay, you have no real argument at all. You're better off not to try to excuse yourself, but instead honestly to say "I'm not interested in learning about the outside world, I'm happy with the space I've carved for myself".
post #16 of 96 Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Biggest reasons for keeping ReplayTVs
  • It does everything I need (and more than some alternatives)
  • I, and my family know how to use it.
  • It's paid for!
rlichtefeld likes this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #17 of 96 Old 10-12-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

"hate"?

How about "exasperation". So you have something that you think is unique, but you're thinking that only because of your lack of awareness of the outside world.

And when you present your "uniqueness" like that to the outside world, you look like a fool. And the world does not suffer fools gladly.

If "I can stop in one room and resume in another" is one of your biggest arguments for keeping Replay, you have no real argument at all. You're better off not to try to excuse yourself, but instead honestly to say "I'm not interested in learning about the outside world, I'm happy with the space I've carved for myself".

I never "stop in one room and resume in another" . I have my video set up so it plays in all rooms (all TVs on channel 77).
post #18 of 96 Old 10-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

"hate"?

its an entertainment item not the deffinition of someones life:D its not that important to be a dvr expert --d
post #19 of 96 Old 10-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

and you don't have to be a "car expert" to realize that the world has moved way past your '69 Buick.

Similarly, you don't have to be a "dvr expert" to know that the world has moved on and that Replay isn't alone with that feature set.

Interestingly, though, people who come to forums like this usually do so to discuss and keep up with things. It's forum members and users that, by definition, *are* the experts...they come here because they *are* interested...

...which make the "with my Replay I can stop in one room and resume in another!" declarations of superiority all the more weird.
post #20 of 96 Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:

and you don't have to be a "car expert" to realize that the world has moved way past your '69 Buick.

Similarly, you don't have to be a "dvr expert" to know that the world has moved on and that Replay isn't alone with that feature set.

Interestingly, though, people who come to forums like this usually do so to discuss and keep up with things. It's forum members and users that, by definition, *are* the experts...they come here because they *are* interested...

...which make the "with my Replay I can stop in one room and resume in another!" declarations of superiority all the more weird.
ok a 69 buick is 55yrs old a rtv is 15ish. a 69 buick not modernly equipped compared to new cars an rtv is comparable to almost all new dvrs and in some ways better---so ur piont is mute really and nonsense really but like the other guy ur intitled to ur opinion.rolleyes.gif the only experts are the people who built these things we are merely groupies who help other based on their own experiences. and of course we all value greatly everyones input ---d
post #21 of 96 Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok a 69 buick is 55yrs old a rtv is 15ish.

You're making my point here. In electronics technology years, 15 is beyond ancient.

in cars, a 1969 model is 44 years old (not 55)--which is nowhere near ancient in car years. You can still get gas and oil and parts, and the radio still tunes current radio stations.
post #22 of 96 Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

post #23 of 96 Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There are some things you just can't do anything about. Take your parents for example - no choice, you get them like it or not. Try death and taxes, same thing. How about electric toothbrushes? They actually do a better job than handheld models but aren't as portable. What about CRT televisions? Well, some people want to use their property until it no longer functions. This piece of equipment does what they need. It may not be be the latest and greatest, most economical or efficient, but it serves the purpose, even financially. It's probably the same with Replays. This model was revolutionary at the time, except for TiVo, and still does some things some people would rather not replace or don't have the technical knowledge to replace. There are countless examples of older, less reliable, more econ-un-friendly, totally nonsensical uses of technology that people gladly make use of daily. This whole thing is exasperating...it's just people being people, and it's not illegal to be stupid.

Arvy
post #24 of 96 Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

You're making my point here. In electronics technology years, 15 is beyond ancient.

in cars, a 1969 model is 44 years old (not 55)--which is nowhere near ancient in car years. You can still get gas and oil and parts, and the radio still tunes current radio stations.
i think i made my point for all to see whether u agree or not-- a dvr is a dvr. now and then--no real advancement compared to other electronics-- another mute point:rolleyes: bty a 69 car is a classic for 19 years and is totally anceint:rolleyes:----d
post #25 of 96 Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM

I bought my 1st Replay TV when they 1st came out. It was a 3000 series. Can't even remember the year, but it was a long long time ago. I'm guessing 1999. I still remember going to Circuit City and seeing Replay and Tivo side by side. I bought the best one, but just like Beta and VHS, the best one doesn't always win.

While I have been a member of this forum for about 13 years, I rarely post. I occasionally have a simple question to ask and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there with answers. Likewise I occasionally answer a simple question for someone. I usually log on every week or so just to see what is going on. I would have never known that the Replay service was going away without this forum or that WIRNS was there and available to replace the Replay service. Over my 13 years here I have learned that there are some very nice (and knowledgeable) folks out there. They have no agenda, they are just trying to help and happen to enjoy getting into the nuts and bolts of Audio/Video technology more then most. We are lucky to have those people as resources.
But we also seem to have people who seem to enjoy putting people down or at the minimum enjoy showing others just how smart they are. That seems to really go against what this forum is all about. Therefore I have to respond one last time. Regardless of what positive or negative responses come from this, I won't respond further. I hope we can just "all get along" and move on.

This particular post seemed to get started because someone was curious about just how many of us active Replay users were still out there, and why we were still using them. As far as the "How many?". I really have no idea, but I am sure there are a lot of us. I would venture to guess in the thousands.

On the "why", I think there are 4 simple answers:
1. They are paid for.
2. There is no monthly fee associated with using them.
3. The quality of the output meets are current needs.
4. They are reliable.

It's as simple as that. Any of us who have been using these things for more then a couple of years are well aware that there is newer and better technology out there. That doesn't make the Replays any less usable. Us "techies", who were early adopters, clearly know that. We were probably the 1st ones on our block to have a DVR, PVR, or whatever you choose to call a Replay TV "like" device. Most people at the time, had no idea what a "DVR" was, much less why we needed it. And most of us who have used a DVR for more then just a week or so can not imagine going back to watching TV the "old" way. And by the way, we paid more for those Replays then the TVs we were watching them on. We were probably also the 1st ones on our block to have a "PC" at home. And many of us were the first to have one of those little (big) "brick" cell phones with a battery that lasted about 30 mins. Yes, we have all long ago upgraded our PCs, and cell phones. In fact probably several times over. We upgraded because those old original ones were either no longer supported, just didn't work anymore, or just didn't have the features we needed anymore. Basically, they did not get the job done anymore. My 1st PC (anyone remember CP/M?) only had 16k or memory and a cassette player to store my programs. You can't get much done with something like that these days. In fact, you can't get anything done. But Replay TVs actually still work, and until HD TV came out, they were still compatible with the latest video/tv technology. So why not use them. I know we have become a "throw away" society, but some old stuff is still worth keeping around just a little longer.

We don't keep them because we are cheap or because we don't want to change, or because we aren't aware of newer technology. We keep them for the 4 reasons stated above. And we don't necessarily want to buy the latest "new" technology just to keep up with "The Jones". But when Replays can't get the job done anymore, we will probably buy the best equivalent technology that is available. Why? Because we want to, and if it is going to last any significant time at all, we need to get the best that is available at the time. And by the way, that new technology will not cost as much as the big flat screen TV that we will be watching it on.

With the car analogy that was used earlier, I doubt that any of us are driving a 15 year old Chevy. I mention Chevy only because most of us would not consider that a "classic" car. But some of us might just be driving a 15 year old Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. I often used to say to my kids about cars, "Buy a real good quality car, take care of it, and you can drive it a long time". The same thing goes for just about any technology purchase. Buy the best technology you can afford and it will probably last a long time. And with this forum, we have a lot of good people who are helping us use and improve our Replays so we can get just a few more miles on them.

I thank all you helpful forum members out there, and I forgive those of you who use this forum only to have an audience.
jweinel and ClearToLand like this.
post #26 of 96 Old 10-15-2013, 02:24 PM

I use 2 of mine every day
post #27 of 96 Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 AM

But as long as by '69 Buick gets me where I want to go, and the windows go up and down when I want them to, why not keep it? I've given up wanting to use something because it's new.

I want to use something that works the way I expect it to, when I want it to, and doesn't fail. A ReplayTV does this for me. When it doesn't anymore, I'll move on to something else.

I also currently have a 22 yr old dishwasher that washes my dishes and dries them all in about an hour. It has 4 buttons, a dial and a latch. It works, and has for 22 years. However, just this week the water fill valve quit. It's about a $25 part and about 30 minutes to replace, but we thought we'd look at new dishwashers. Online reviews for all of them - whether a $300 or a $1500 one - have complaints about drying and the amount of time it takes to finish a cycle. It seems that to reduce noise and to meet EPA Energy Star guidelines, all dishwashers have become less effective at their one true purpose - to clean and dry dishes.

Rob

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
post #28 of 96 Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Since searching back, it seems that I've been the only one to have used either the word "mute" or "moot", I'm guessing this message was meant for me.

I used the word "moot" as defined in your link under definition 2.
"2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic. "

Also, it seems the word is used differently in law, in Britain, and in common usage in the US:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/are-you-sure-you-mean-moot/

It's also the way it's used in the song "Jessie's Girl": http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rick+springfield/jessies+girl_20116323.html

Rob

post #29 of 96 Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Since searching back, it seems that I've been the only one to have used either the word "mute" or "moot", I'm guessing this message was meant for me.

I used the word "moot" as defined in your link under definition 2.
"2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic. "

Also, it seems the word is used differently in law, in Britain, and in common usage in the US:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/are-you-sure-you-mean-moot/

It's also the way it's used in the song "Jessie's Girl": http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rick+springfield/jessies+girl_20116323.html

Rob
i think it was meant for me because adam took it in the other way in my post---d. i meant he had nothing to say-thats jersey talk--i didnt look at his links:D
rlichtefeld likes this.
post #30 of 96 Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:

But as long as by '69 Buick gets me where I want to go, and the windows go up and down when I want them to, why not keep it? I've given up wanting to use something because it's new.

I want to use something that works the way I expect it to, when I want it to, and doesn't fail. A ReplayTV does this for me. When it doesn't anymore, I'll move on to something else.

I also currently have a 22 yr old dishwasher that washes my dishes and dries them all in about an hour. It has 4 buttons, a dial and a latch. It works, and has for 22 years. However, just this week the water fill valve quit. It's about a $25 part and about 30 minutes to replace, but we thought we'd look at new dishwashers. Online reviews for all of them - whether a $300 or a $1500 one - have complaints about drying and the amount of time it takes to finish a cycle. It seems that to reduce noise and to meet EPA Energy Star guidelines, all dishwashers have become less effective at their one true purpose - to clean and dry dishes.

Rob
it takes at least three hours for a modern dishwasher to fjnish a cycle-- a real drag if u need a dish now---just got rid of a ten year old one cause it was all crappy inside, the good news they have a one hour cycle on this one -yeah:D
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page