Swapping out ReplayTV power supplies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5500 that seems to have a power supply problem. It froze up, and then wouldn't turn off. I unplugged it, opened it up, dusted out, replugged it and it worked for a couple of hours. Then it didn't turn off again and wouldn't show any video. Now it won't turn on. I see some "browning" where the orange wires go into the connector, which is why I think it's a power supply problem.

I have a second replay that I don't use, I think it's a 5000. Can I swap out the power supply? And are there any instructions out there? I mean, I can probably unscrew and unplug and replug and rescrew... but maybe there are some subtleties, like how to unplug that 12 pin connector? Is there a catch?

Thanks for any advice! I love my old Replay. I wouldn't know what to replace it with if I had to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RTV power supply is always the problem mainly due to failing caps. If you want a little adventure, and it's not so hard to do, replace the caps yourself. There are tons of info online on how to replace bad caps. A good resource is badcaps.net.
To answer your question regarding swapping out the power supplies. Yes, 5500 and 5000 series PS are interchangeable since they are identical.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Less drama than I thought - turns out replacing the hard drive seems to work - for about a year! then that one failed, too. Ugh.
I have a Lifetime ReplayTV 5500 that is less and less reliable, and a 5000 (with commercial advance) that isn't a Lifetime model. Is there any way to transfer the "lifetimeness" of the 5500 to the 5000?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbasch View Post
Less drama than I thought - turns out replacing the hard drive seems to work - for about a year! then that one failed, too. Ugh.
I have a Lifetime ReplayTV 5500 that is less and less reliable, and a 5000 (with commercial advance) that isn't a Lifetime model. Is there any way to transfer the "lifetimeness" of the 5500 to the 5000?
I thought there was difference anymore. All Replays are activated after connecting to DNNA or WiRNS 3.

BTW, I bought 3 5xxx Replays around 2005, and got Lifetime for all of them; and 4 more (probably had monthly) off of eBay. There seems to be no difference in activation status after connecting to WiRNS 3.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbasch View Post
The "lifetimeness", as you call it, goes with the serial number. When you purchased the lifetime subscription, you gave them the serial number to apply it to. The serial number is kept in the ROM near the hard drive connector. In the 5500, the ROM is soldered in, and in the 5000 it may or may not be socketed. But, you'd have to unsolder the ROM in the 5500 to put in in your 5000 to transfer the serial number, and thereby the "lifetimeness". Of course, then your 5000 would become a 5500, and you'd lose the commercial advance feature.

But, as mlloyd pointed out, this is all moot because ReplayTV is not keeping track of subscriptions any longer. So, there shouldn't be any reason that you can't just use your 5000 as is and not care about the subscription.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page