need help troubleshooting ReplayTV 5504 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my replay TV 5504 may have finally died - I've had the cover off a few times in the past 10 or so years I've had it in service but last night I think it might have died.

I took it out of service last night (unplugged it last night - I was watching a recording that started to stutter and after the 3rd time in about a 1 1/2 hours it wouldn't recover - tried holding the power button for reboot - the blue light came on but no onscreen. I then pulled the plug waited about 10 minutes then plugged back it - big spark at the outlet - blue light no onscreen messages and would not reboot with power button so I pulled the plug and called it a night).

this evening I got it out of the cabinet where it is kept - took the cover off then using compressed air blew all the dust out. when I plugged it in the hard drive spins up - but the fan did not come on - tried the reboot (but its not connected to a tv or network) the blue light went out then when I released the button it came back on - still no fan and I can hear the hard drive spinning. - weird thing is the fan started spinning about a 1/2 hour later (maybe an hour). when the fan wasn't spinning I recorded the voltages as:

Color: Y Y R O O B B B B B Gr Bl
Value: 2.9 2.9 33.7 2.5 2.5 0 0 0 0 0 12 4.9

I took another reading when the fan came on and found the Y = 3.05 v now - I thought after reboot it turned itself off - but the blue light is still on - I am going to hook it back to the network and tv to check if recovery has occurred - unless I am missing something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply - i reconnected it last night (after the post) since i heard the fan start i thought it might finally be booting. Initially there was nothing on the screen - and the fan was not running (I had to unplug when i moved from my troubleshooting area back to its 'real' home in a different room). I walked away after several minutes. A while later (less than an hour) i came back and noted that the blue light wa off and the red light was on - it lives! - but then when i tuned to the channel no video - i got to thinking and then realized that I had reversed the coax connections when i was hooking it back up.

so now its working but i am concerned about the power supply - has anyone built a dc to dc conversion using a laptop power supply as a source then using adjustable dc to dc chips to create the voltages? anyone know the nominal power required?
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

What you described will work theoretically but it will take too much time and effort. Just replace the bad caps and your rtv will be like new again.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page