Swapped drive between 2 lifetime active 5040s and now inactive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched for answers on this, but I haven't found anything - maybe I missed it.

My lifetime active 5040 started rebooting and having fan lock errors, so I picked up another lifetime 5040 used. I have a 160 GB drive in the dead system, so I tried swapping hard drives, replacing the 40 GB in the new system. After switching the drives, the new system only displays the error message stating that it isn't active - I can update the guide, etc. with no problem, but I attempting to access the Replay Guide or Channel Guide gives the error stating that the system isn't active. I have attempted rebooting, Net Connect (from the system and from the WiRNS server), but I still get the error message. Switching back to the original 40 GB drive in the new system, there are no errors and I can access the Replay Guide and Channel Guide.

My understanding is that the activation is associated with the motherboard. I was hoping I wouldn't lose the shows I have recorded on my old 160 GB drive. is there some step I'm missing? Will I have to reinitialize my 160 GB drive with an image from the 40GB drive using RTV patch and lose the shows I have recorded?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.phelge View Post

I've searched for answers on this, but I haven't found anything - maybe I missed it.

My lifetime active 5040 started rebooting and having fan lock errors, so I picked up another lifetime 5040 used. I have a 160 GB drive in the dead system, so I tried swapping hard drives, replacing the 40 GB in the new system. After switching the drives, the new system only displays the error message stating that it isn't active - I can update the guide, etc. with no problem, but I attempting to access the Replay Guide or Channel Guide gives the error stating that the system isn't active. I have attempted rebooting, Net Connect (from the system and from the WiRNS server), but I still get the error message. Switching back to the original 40 GB drive in the new system, there are no errors and I can access the Replay Guide and Channel Guide.

My understanding is that the activation is associated with the motherboard. I was hoping I wouldn't lose the shows I have recorded on my old 160 GB drive. is there some step I'm missing? Will I have to reinitialize my 160 GB drive with an image from the 40GB drive using RTV patch and lose the shows I have recorded?

Thanks in advance

No. You won't lose shows, provided you do not perform a factory reset. Just take the shows off the old HD.

You can install your existing drive in a PC (or USB enclosure) and use ExtractRTV5 to offload all the shows to your PC, then view them on your RTV via WiRNS.

If I had to reimage a HD, I would use a fresh new image, which you can download.

Now back to the fun part.
The subscription is / was based on the Chip ID number installed on the motherboard. If the Chip ID didn't match the OS ID, then the RTV would say it is not subscribed. I was actually able to salvage my lifetime sub on a RTV that died due to a lightning strike by moving the EPROM and HD from broken RTV to undamaged RTV.

I was under the impression that once your RTV connected to the mothership after a HD swap (the Chip ID and the OS ID would not match), it would go through the motions and re-authenticate itself...

Since the encyption key was released, all units are subscribed (effectively active lifetime units), but do need the digital handshake to be made active and working. WiRNS 3.0 does this. Connecting to the mothership does this, too.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. I have WiRNS 3.0.4927.30221, and I am able to update the guide from the new system once I have swapped in my old hard drive, but I still get the error message about activation. Net connect from either the system or WiRNS succeeds also, but doesn't correct the service activation error. Swapping back in the new system hard drive, there is no service activation error. Maybe there is some other aspect of service activation that WiRNS doesn't support.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I have WiRNS 3.0.4927.30221, and I am able to update the guide from the new system once I have swapped in my old hard drive, but I still get the error message about activation. Net connect from either the system or WiRNS succeeds also, but doesn't correct the service activation error. Swapping back in the new system hard drive, there is no service activation error. Maybe there is some other aspect of service activation that WiRNS doesn't support.

I am not an expert, but to me the activation is an issue because of non-matching numbers... The folks over at PlanetReplay may be able to speak better about a function that WiRNS does not support... (activation error when swapping HD).

If you use WiRNS to handle calls from the Replay, can you then get to the Setup Screen? IIRC, if WiRNS did things correctly, there will be a selection that reads, "WiRNS help" instead of "MyReplayTV Registration" or something like that....

In the end, you can always take your existing shows off the existing hard drive and put them on your PC using extractRTV5.
Once your shows are on your PC, you can stream them back to any RTV 5k in the house.

You can then start fiddling with the new unit... You can always factory reset the drive..

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks in advance
this has happened to me every time i put a new or larger hdd in a replay since 2011--all u have to do is push 243 then replay zones and scroll to net connect and once its done itll be ok---d:)
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page