Can 5040's work with google fiber? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Google fiber is going to be in our area in March and I would love to get away from Time Warner. We still have several 5040's running and would like to keep using them. Anyone know if you can use them with google fiber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ummmm....why not?

That's like asking if a car can drive on that brand new expressway that just went in by your house, instead of the surface roads you've been using.

Just like the car doesn't care as long as there's asphalt underneath, your home network doesn't care as long as you connect via ethernet (or wifi) and use IP addresses.

Your Replay won't know that it's Google fiber out there. Um, you do know that your Replay is hooking up to your home network, right? That won't change.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would sort of doubt that google fiber has any analog stations, so that could be a bit of a problem.
Helvis likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Ummmm....why not?

That's like asking if a car can drive on that brand new expressway that just went in by your house, instead of the surface roads you've been using.

Just like the car doesn't care as long as there's asphalt underneath, your home network doesn't care as long as you connect via ethernet (or wifi) and use IP addresses.

Your Replay won't know that it's Google fiber out there. Um, you do know that your Replay is hooking up to your home network, right? That won't change.

Um, do you know that his Replay is hooking up to a video source that's not analog coax?  While he will easily get internet access, he won't very easily get analog video from a fiber video feed!  So, he will have to use a settop box, and the Replay may very well not support controlling the Google settop box.  I don't think that anyone figured out how to get a Replay to operate with ATT U-Verse, so this is a very reasonable question that he's asking.  Especially since the Replay's main point is to record video.  In your analogy of a car and a new road, that's like saying that the Replay can record from any video source because it records video!

Helvis likes this.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think Adam simply made the mistake of thinking that the question was about using Google fiber for the Internet connection to download the guide data, and didn't realize they were also a cable TV provider. I admit that when I first saw the question this is also what I assumed.

But as long as Google provides a converter box that ReplayTV can control with the IR Blaster, and the lineup is available in the guide service, it should work similar to cable or satellite TV. I'm still using Comcast, even though they got rid of all their analog stations here last year.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, I wasn't remotely concerned about the network. Just the video.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvis View Post

Ya, I wasn't remotely concerned about the network. Just the video.

Unless someone has done it before you (use RTV to control Google-fiber STB), you are the beta tester....

Cheers!
-Doug
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ya, It looks like I may be. When i get time I'm going to go down to the google fiber store and hopefully they have all the gear on display so I can research it.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post

I think Adam simply made the mistake of thinking that the question was about using Google fiber for the Internet connection to download the guide data, and didn't realize they were also a cable TV provider. I admit that when I first saw the question this is also what I assumed.

Yeah, but you didn't make a snarky response without making sure that you knew what you were talking about.