Did Replay TV go out of business?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I can't get the channel guide to load and I've checked all the phone numbers attached to downloading it and they're all correct. I tried calling the Replay TV Customer Support number (which I used just a month ago because the clock was off by three minutes and I was missing the first three minutes of everything I recorded.....it's 254-299-2705) and the recording said, "Replay TV is currently closed.  Thank you." Click. I called at 2:30 p.m. PT and, according to their website, they should have been open.  ??

Does anyone know if they stopped doing the channel guide and if not, what I should do?  Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM

I believe you may be right about the end of Replay TV.
I cannot get a nightly update to my Replay 3000 dial-up.
I just moved from Tampa FL area to Ocala FL, about 125 miles north.

I had been unable to connect for about the last 2 weeks in Tampa
before I moved. Same deal here too, keep getting "Network Connect Error"
and I have done the clear channel guide, re-set zip code, lowered
the modem connect speed, and used the manual clock set which
I installed some months ago.
I figure they have dumped us for good with no notice.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Couldn't say, but was bound to happen sooner or later, in someways I'm a bit surprised it took this long if that is truly the case.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycey View Post

I can't get the channel guide to load and I've checked all the phone numbers attached to downloading it and they're all correct. I tried calling the Replay TV Customer Support number (which I used just a month ago because the clock was off by three minutes and I was missing the first three minutes of everything I recorded.....it's 254-299-2705) and the recording said, "Replay TV is currently closed.  Thank you." Click. I called at 2:30 p.m. PT and, according to their website, they should have been open.  ??

Does anyone know if they stopped doing the channel guide and if not, what I should do?  Thank you for your help!

I'm still getting the guide on Dial-up from New York although I live in Louisiana. Try slowing the modem down to 31.2 (I think that is my current setting). As to Replay, that is a very small operation with probably only 1 or 2 techs working at most. They may have gone on vacation. When they were going to shut down before, they sent everyone an on screen message saying so. That has not happened this time. If you need help slowing down the modem, post on this thread and I'll dig in to it and let you know how. For the record, the last time my machine missed a download was in late January.

Don H.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Liked: 18
Ethernet updates appear to still work. I just updated and it brought in data through 5/18. I realize that this is separate from dial up, but maybe it means there is still hope.

Not sure of your home networking situation, but you can get guide updates using a wireless bridge with an old, compatible wireless router. I had that setup for a replay in a room with no hardwired ethernet. The speed doesn't matter for guide updates - only if you are streaming shows.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo3000 View Post

I figure they have dumped us for good with no notice.

ReplayTV never owned the dial-up modems and interfaces. The issue is that the ISPs from which they leased their modems are simply no longer maintaining or offering dial-up internet.

Compounded with fiber and IP phone, it will only be a matter of time before all methods to connect via dial-up will go away, except for the WiRNS solution....
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I noticed the same problem started around the first week of May, it was connecting but no further guide data past friday, thought I would let it run out ad see what happened... of course it wouldn't record anything [duh]. So i tried force connecting and it seemed to go thru all the processes but in the end it would say there was problem with the replay service and it would try later or if going thru the setup screen it would say 'network error'

Tried slowing down the modem even slower than others suggested, nada... So I figured I would try changing the number my replay connected to for updates and again nothing BUT when I went BACK to the same number I was DL guide data from it suddenly worked... that seems to be the trick when these things happens [or at least it worked for me] maybe theres some caller ID block that happens at the receiving end if it gets calls from the same number constantly, I dunno...

I try not to clear the channel guide anymore [which i did with one of my replays] unless its totally needed because that didn't help when this happened to me before around March [look for a posting 'Is the Mothership out of gas'] because when you do then its more difficult to do manual recordings and they aren't very good because you can only do single guaranteed recordings no repeat/non guaranteed recordings.

Eventually dial uppers will be SOL, when will that day be who knows... can't complain I guess Its a 14 year old DVR and a tertiary recording device I use for news and stuff I don't want taking up space in the HD
post #8 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

My 2020 was not getting the guide, although the phone connection was lasting over 40 minutes (and changing the modem speed had no effect).

The phone number selection screen gives 14 choices, 4 numbers identified as [Primary]. Of those 4, one would not connect, and the other 3 (including the one I had been using) took over 40 minutes and didn't get a guide. I tried the [Alternate] numbers; the first 5 didn't connect and the 6th finally got a guide.

The number that worked is 903-220-0022 (Longview, Texas).
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

My 2020 was not getting the guide, although the phone connection was lasting over 40 minutes (and changing the modem speed had no effect).

The phone number selection screen gives 14 choices, 4 numbers identified as [Primary]. Of those 4, one would not connect, and the other 3 (including the one I had been using) took over 40 minutes and didn't get a guide. I tried the [Alternate] numbers; the first 5 didn't connect and the 6th finally got a guide.

The number that worked is 903-220-0022 (Longview, Texas).

Boy, I sure thank you for posting this info. I have been down for about 2 weeks. I have been trying to connect to no avail. What happened was this. On a Saturday morning, I was watching a show that had recorded on Friday, It got hung up as I was jumping thru a commercial break. To reboot, I pulled the plug. The machine came back up, and I finished the show I had been watching. The program guide was gone and time defaulted back tp 11/11/19??. It would connect on dial-up saying connection estb. But it would never get any guide info or set the clock. I tried the 800 number, no connection there either. Had about given up. But I tried you 903 number. It connected the first time, got the channel grid, but failed to set the clock. I tried a 2nd time and it worked!!!! Thanks again.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Boy, I sure thank you for posting this info. I have been down for about 2 weeks. I have been trying to connect to no avail. What happened was this. On a Saturday morning, I was watching a show that had recorded on Friday, It got hung up as I was jumping thru a commercial break. To reboot, I pulled the plug. The machine came back up, and I finished the show I had been watching. The program guide was gone and time defaulted back tp 11/11/19??. It would connect on dial-up saying connection estb. But it would never get any guide info or set the clock. I tried the 800 number, no connection there either. Had about given up. But I tried you 903 number. It connected the first time, got the channel grid, but failed to set the clock. I tried a 2nd time and it worked!!!! Thanks again.

A lot of people don't post the phone numbers they used. I'm glad to know it helped someone.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Great information, mlloyd! The Longview, TX is one of the dialup numbers provided by bee.net and any number provided by that service should work. They have local numbers in many areas. Using a standard phone line provided by your local phone company, I suggest the following. (If your phone service is provided by another carrier, be sure that FAX machines or dialup modems are supported.)

1) From your computer, visit http://local.bee.net/

2) Follow the links and select a local phone number, if one is available. I live in a large metropolitan area and found several local numbers.

3) Dial the number from your home phone line, just to make sure that it is a working number that returns a modem tone.

4) On the dialup ReplayTV/Showstopper, select Menu, Setup, Change Dialing and Input Settings, Change Telephone.

5) Verify the information for your local phone number on the screen, correcting as necessary, then select Continue.

6) Make note of your 5 digit ZIP code, then press Stop to erase it.

7) Press the back arrow to return to telephone connection. (Don't skip this and the next two steps, which trick your machine into dialing.)

8) Select continue.

9) Re-enter your ZIP code. If the number was incorrect, enter the correct number.

10) Select continue.

11) You now need to program the number from the web page into the dialing prefix. If you already have *70 programmed to cancel call waiting, press the pause button on the remote to generate a comma (pause in dialing) and then enter the number the way you dial it from your phone line. (Some areas dial the 7 digit number and others dial 1 plus area code plus 7 digit number.) Note that there are just digits (no dashes). If you don't show a prefix, just enter the number the way you dial it. Select continue.

12) Your machine should go to the "Getting local phone numbers and TV channels" screen and dial. It should not linger on "connection established." "Getting information about channels," however, may take awhile.

13) Under "choose a phone number," just use the highlighted number.

14) Select the dialing method that shows 7 digits.

15) Allow at least 10 seconds on the Line 1 configuration screen , then select continue.

16) Just hit select to navigate through the next screens.

17) Select "Keep all settings."

18 Either wait for the next nightly connect or force a connection with 243-Zones.

19 It may take 20 minutes or more to repopulate your channel guide.

If your local phone service supports FAX machines but not computer dialup modems, you may succeed by dropping your baud rate to 9600 or less.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page