1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlloyd

post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reboots when scroll guide past end

My RTV5000 started rebooting any time I scroll the guide past the last channel, or scroll up from the first channel.

I tried double-clearing the guide data. No help.

So I thought that I must have a poison channel. Of course you can't remove it because the Add/Remove screens also cause a reboot.

I was going to try the trick of clearing the guide and then interrupting the channel load, but I caught a break: tonight when it was doing the guide update, it did the thing where every channel is empty until it finishes. So I quickly went to the Add/Remove channel screen to remove the new high numbered channels.

Add/Remove did not cause a reboot this time, leading credence to the poison channel theory. I did get all of the new channels x'd out before it loaded the guide data.

Only problem is: it didn't fix the problem.

I did notice that the new channels are actually 4 digits in the cable box. (The cable system now has a lot of channels. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than a 1,000.)

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the crash?

It is acting like the problem isn't displaying a particular channel, it is the act of displaying the dividing point between the last channel and the first. But only when there is guide data loaded.

Does the ReplayTV have a problem when the cable system has 4 digit channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're on the right track

I have had similar problems in the past. But not once since I went to Wirns and schedules direct back when we thought ReplayTV service was going away.
The problem was not that the channel was bad, but the data within a particular entry (time slot) for a channel. I don't know for sure but I am betting there was corruption of the data. Maybe a special character or something at the end. But schedules direct truncates the data at some point so the problem went away and has never returned.

I think I would try deleting the channel guide 2 times in succession, then net connect again. Once you get by the bad entry you should be ok till the next time you have bad data, or until you go to Wirns and scheduled direct.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Liked: 13
this problems been happenning since 2003 when i got rtvs for the first time----as bh said wirns does cure the problem. there is a painstaking way i used to do to eliminate that before i knew about wirns. u have to delete the bad channels, once u identify them on the guide go to the setup guide and to add/delete channels tab then carefully scroll to them one channel at a time when u approach them because it will reboot there too. when u approach them maybe 3-5 good channels away so u dont mess up, scroll real slow allowing a minute between pressing the button, when u reach that bad channel again wait a full minute until u press the select button to delete it. if this dont work u have to scroll slower yet or u have more bad channels and need to do it to them as well---d

Last edited by srfrdan; 06-19-2014 at 05:41 AM.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHarry View Post
I have had similar problems in the past. But not once since I went to Wirns and schedules direct back when we thought ReplayTV service was going away.
The problem was not that the channel was bad, but the data within a particular entry (time slot) for a channel. I don't know for sure but I am betting there was corruption of the data. Maybe a special character or something at the end. But schedules direct truncates the data at some point so the problem went away and has never returned.

I think I would try deleting the channel guide 2 times in succession, then net connect again. Once you get by the bad entry you should be ok till the next time you have bad data, or until you go to Wirns and scheduled direct.

Hope this helps.
Deleting the channel guide 2 times is the first thing I tried.

WiRNS isn't an option because it only runs on Windows.

If the DNNA had ended the guide, I would have subscribed to LaHo.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry to hear that (no Windows so no option for Wirns). It will probably keep happening as you already have experienced that. Might be time to start looking at ReplayTV alternatives. For all practical purposes, I have already moved to a HTPC with XBMC, but still have 2 Replays up and running. I just keep and old laptop around which I use for Wirns under Win XP. I only have it powered up for an hour or so each day. If I happen to miss a day, no big deal. Those Replays are used 1) as a backup off the antenna and 2) to record my wife's Jeopardy. While I record her Jeopardy on the HTPC also, she really doesn't want to switch over till she really has no alternative. That Replay will fail one day and I guess that is when she will have to switch!

If you want to keep using Replay, it may be worth picking up a used cheap laptop. It does not take much of a computer to run Wirns. But... LaHo is pretty cheap too.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM

as i say u have to delete only the bad channels not the entire guide. all that does is reload the bad parts. . my method works and if u look around avsforum youll find other cures and on planet replay as well---d--try here http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...de+reboots+rtv

Last edited by srfrdan; 06-19-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmitt View Post
WiRNS isn't an option because it only runs on Windows.

If the DNNA had ended the guide, I would have subscribed to LaHo.
You can run WiRNS in a virtual machine. Mine has Lubuntu (Linux) as it's host OS.

This also makes full backups really easy.
SD_Shadow likes this.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Time Warner Cable just implemented a massive channel realignment, and now the problem is worse:

Before I had enough On Demand channels enabled past the last real channel so that I could avoid the reboot if I was careful not to scroll too far.

Now I don't -- the poison channel occurs before the end of the real channels.

I did some experimenting with the Add/Remove channels display, and I believe that the (or at least one of) the poison channels is Encore On Demand.

It is channel 601 on this Zap2it listing.

DVArchive displays the programs as just a series of "Movie", starting every 5 minutes.

Do you suppose that's what the ReplayTV is choking on? Maybe there is a limit for how many shows a channel can have out to the end of the guide data?
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
DVArchive displays the programs as just a series of "Movie", starting every 5 minutes.

Do you suppose that's what the ReplayTV is choking on? Maybe there is a limit for how many shows a channel can have out to the end of the guide data?
I found this thread on PlanetReplay which reports a similar problem being caused by 5 minute series of shows on a channel. It indicates that there have been other posts indicating that having many shows on a channel can cause this problem, but I didn't look for them. The solution in that thread may not be appropriate for you, but it at least confirms that getting rid of a channel with "too many" shows can solve the problem.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post
I found this thread on PlanetReplay which reports a similar problem being caused by 5 minute series of shows on a channel. It indicates that there have been other posts indicating that having many shows on a channel can cause this problem, but I didn't look for them. The solution in that thread may not be appropriate for you, but it at least confirms that getting rid of a channel with "too many" shows can solve the problem.
Thanks! Is it good to know I'm finally on the right track.

I'm going to try calling ReplayTV and see if they can do something at the listing source.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'm going to try calling ReplayTV and see if they can do something at the listing source.
When that doesn't work out you can try following the instructions in the FAQs sticky, ClearToLand's number 46: My ReplayTV Reboots When Scrolling Through the Channel Guide.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Is it good to know I'm finally on the right track.

this problem has existed since day one so there will be noooo help there---weve given all the viable ways to fix this ---d
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page