• 1 Post By srfrdan

post #1 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Strange happenings

Equipment: Sonic Blue 5xxx with an 80 GB 5400 rpm drive and Commercial Advance active connected to a LAN with a RTV 55xx in another room. The SB is basically here only to schedule the RTV but I record some things on it, too. The LAN is on a 50/5 Internet connection.
Problem: Te SB puts out a message every 3 days that it was unable to connect and download guide data and will try again later. The same goes for manual connects I do BUT the updated guide data is there. So are valid zone channels and listings.

I think the image is somehow corrupt and the drive needs to be wiped and re-imaged. Any ideas? One other thing ... and I've had it on other RTVs... is that custom remote settings are overly sensitive to button commands. Sometimes it seems the disk drive is trying to catch up to the remote then goes a few button pushes too far. The settings are at 300, 100, 100, 300. Do I need to bump them up a few notches?

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the manual connect show all the usual steps?
Setting clock, checking for new channels, downloading shows...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's doing everything but gets stuck when combining new info at the end.

Arvy
post #4 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could try 2, 4, 3, zones
Option 2 - clear channel guide

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cleared the channel guide twice then reloaded it but have the same situation. Another funny thing is the System Info in Menu says the last connect time was 01/15/2004. I suppose that's when the image was created and because the connection won't fully complete. Would a factory reset help? What's the command string for it?

It's unrelated to the custom remote settings, of course.

Arvy

Last edited by Arvy; 07-31-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: thought process
post #6 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
It's doing everything but gets stuck when combining new info at the end.
this means its not completing for some reason ---d
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I cleared the channel guide twice then reloaded it but have the same situation. Another funny thing is the System Info in Menu says the last connect time was 01/15/2004. I suppose that's when the image was created and because the connection won't fully complete. Would a factory reset help? What's the command string for it?

It's unrelated to the custom remote settings, of course.
the last connect time is the last net connect which completed. uve never totally completed since then---in ten years---it should be recent, like today or yesterday ---under system info -unit info- i get software
version, serial #, service(activation), and key--where it says service it should say activated and nothing else like this--service:activated--no dates and no lifetime activation. if not ur definately not finishing the net connects. the factory reset may be bad too but try that first--use 382 zones to reset. may need to reimage from a download if that dont work--look into a new drive after ten years if u have to remage---d
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The drive was last imaged only a few months ago and that's why I think something went wrong there. Not sure but the 2004 date was probably the last time anything was released. The box was bought used from a kind gent here in the forums. The problem is definitely not my internet connection. It's a 50/5 line to TWC. Not finishing the nightly update seems software-ish to me. As long as the guide is intact and functioning, I'll probably wait until the recorded shows are watched, not record any more, and either facotry reset the drive of re-image it. Unless of course someone knows what's going with it.

Arvy
post #9 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The drive was last imaged only a few months ago and that's why I think something went wrong there. Not sure but the 2004 date was probably the last time anything was released. The box was bought used from a kind gent here in the forums. The problem is definitely not my internet connection. It's a 50/5 line to TWC. Not finishing the nightly update seems software-ish to me. As long as the guide is intact and functioning, I'll probably wait until the recorded shows are watched, not record any more, and either facotry reset the drive of re-image it. Unless of course someone knows what's going with it.
If you have the original drive (or any other compatible drive), put a fresh image on that drive and install it in the RTV. If it connects and sets itself up properly, then you KNOW it is something on the drive you are currently using. At least this way, you won't lose your shows should you factory reset and the unit still not connect. You can always use rtvextract to pull all the shows off the existing drive...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #10 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

... or DVArchive them off the currently installed drive. That I can do since WIRNs isn't installed. Thanks for the idea.

Arvy
post #11 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
... or DVArchive them off the currently installed drive. That I can do since WIRNs isn't installed. Thanks for the idea.
Actually extractrtv is MUCH quicker and faster than DVA or WiRNS. They all work, it's just a matter of how fast....
post #12 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Given my level of proficiency, DVA is a tad more convenient. I'm good with it. The thing about my issue is the guide does update, so do all the other things like time, zones, etc. It's just combining data doesn't complete for some reason. I may end up re-imaging a disk or leave well enough alone given the life expectancy of RTVs in general. I only thought there could be a quick fix.

Arvy
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs