1Likes
  • 1 Post By ReplayAddict

post #1 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Software issue

Need some help.....trying to get old software 530501030 to update to 530511440. Followed the hints for the 5500 series but using net connect, it gets to 'updating software' or at best 1% and then it stops and says it will try again later. I am using WIRNS but have reset this machine to phone the mothership. Tried the net connect 8-10 times to no avail. Any hints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suggest installing the 530511440 image directly. The image is available here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/whichimage.htm

For instructions on how to write it to your ReplayTV hard drive, visit the home page http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/ and click on How do I use a downloaded image? on the left hand side menu. You will need to remove the hard drive and install it in a suitable older PC which supports the PATA hard drives.

Last edited by cap_ncrunch; 08-04-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typograhical erros
post #3 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post
I suggest installing the 530511440 image directly. The image is available here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/whichimage.htm

For instructions on how to write it to your ReplayTV hard drive, visit the home page http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/ and click on How do I use a downloaded image? on the left hand side menu. You will need to remove the hard drive and install it in a suitable older PC which supports the PATA hard drives.
Only thing is I don't know how to do that. Any other suggestions?
post #4 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar2649 View Post
Only thing is I don't know how to do that. Any other suggestions?
It is possible that the mother ship is no longer pushing out software updates, which in that case your only option would be to do it as described in the replaytvupgrade pages...

Is there a particular need to update the software? Is something not working?

Could WiRNS have set a bit that prevents software updates?
post #5 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Need some help.....trying to get old software 530501030 to update to 530511440. Followed the hints for the 5500 series but using net connect, it gets to 'updating software' or at best 1% and then it stops and says it will try again later. I am using WIRNS but have reset this machine to phone the mothership. Tried the net connect 8-10 times to no avail. Any hints?
You would want to make sure that WiRNS' NoSoftwareUpdate is disabled, or just allow your ReplayTV to connect directly to DNNA without going through WiRNS (which may be what you are saying). I don't know about that old software version, but in the 2-4-3-Zones screen see if there is a Software Update selection, I think it is selection 18, and try that instead of a full net connect. The current DNNA server doesn't seem to serve up software updates very well for some reason, so you may have to just be persistent if you want to do it without having to open your unit. As commented previously, all the instructions are on ReplayTVUpgrade for putting the newest version of the software directly on your hard drive. Your only other choice would be to use WiRNS' MySoftareUpdate, but then you'd have to roll your own 530511440 update, which wouldn't be trivial. You could look at the MySoftwareUpdate that you can download to get an idea of it all, it has almost all of the latest files, you'd just have to update a few of the files from the image that you can download from ReplayTVUpgrade, but you'd have to figure that out for yourself.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post

Or you can use an external PATA - USB adapter, which is easier and doesn't require finding an older PC and moving the Replay drive. You can leave the drive in the Replay and even use the Replay as a power supply.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
Or you can use an external PATA - USB adapter, which is easier and doesn't require finding an older PC and moving the Replay drive. You can leave the drive in the Replay and even use the Replay as a power supply.
Update which is really not.....to clarify: I have 4 5500's all running WIRNS and the newly added 5th machine is the one with the old software. I have contacted Replay but doubt that will do any good. I AM running that 5th machine through the mothership and have tried MANY times to get it to update the software....it always stops at 'getting new software....1%' and then it quits and says it will contact later. I can do hard drive switching between Replays (I have more) but I am not comfortable with much else....I actually do pretty well for an 'old woman'. Anyway, I'm going to give it maybe a week and see if it ever updates the software. It's working fine otherwise...no biggie, I just like having all the "kids" talking to WIRNS. Open to other suggestions that do not include hooking up hard drives to other computers and stuff like that. Thanks for all your info so far.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How would I do that? Is there a quick explanation?
post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Update which is really not.....to clarify: I have 4 5500's all running WIRNS and the newly added 5th machine is the one with the old software. I have contacted Replay but doubt that will do any good. I AM running that 5th machine through the mothership and have tried MANY times to get it to update the software....it always stops at 'getting new software....1%' and then it quits and says it will contact later. I can do hard drive switching between Replays (I have more) but I am not comfortable with much else....I actually do pretty well for an 'old woman'. Anyway, I'm going to give it maybe a week and see if it ever updates the software. It's working fine otherwise...no biggie, I just like having all the "kids" talking to WIRNS. Open to other suggestions that do not include hooking up hard drives to other computers and stuff like that. Thanks for all your info so far.
If the 5th machine is also a 5500, then you would definitely want to download MySoftwareUpdate to have WiRNS upgrade it to the latest version software specifically for the 5500. The instructions for installing that into WiRNS are included in the ZIP file, and there is a thread about it here. You also could use that MySoftwareUpdate to upgrade your other 4 5500's to that special version of software for the 5500 by following the instructions for how to revert the 5500 software contained in the ZIP file. Then you can use WiRNS to enable IVS and Commercial Advance on your 5500's!
post #10 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
How would I do that? Is there a quick explanation?
I used the adapter at http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-D...apter+startech

Of course, you'll still need a PC with Windows on it, RTVPatch, and the new image.

1. disconnect Replay.
2. open case (remove 10 screws).
3. disconnect IDE cable from drive (leave power cable connected).
4. connect adapter to IDE connector on drive.
5. connect power to Replay (this provides power to drive).
6. After a few seconds (to allow drive to spin up), connect USB cable to PC.
7. Once the PC recognizes the drive, run RTVPatch.
8. Once the new software is installed, disconnect USB from PC.
9. remove power from Replay.
10. disconnect adapter from Replay drive.
11. reconnect Replay IDE cable.
12. put cover back on Replay.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
i did not read all the responses so this may have been said, try slowing the modem speed to the slowest, that worked for me always even when ethernet would not. my phone lines no longer connect to rtv so i had to learn to program myself. u wont be able to send or receive shows if u update fron rtv with a 5500. ---d
post #12 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM

if u go here http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16303 ull see how i did the new 5500 i had and my trials and tribulations to get it working.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post
i did not read all the responses so this may have been said, try slowing the modem speed to the slowest, that worked for me always even when ethernet would not. my phone lines no longer connect to rtv so i had to learn to program myself. u wont be able to send or receive shows if u update fron rtv with a 5500. ---d
Hi again, To clarify I am connecting using ethernet. As stated I have 4 5500 Replays connected to WIRNS and the 5th one is the one with old software that will not update using the mothership. I appreciate all the suggestions, but it's all a little confusing and my question is this: do ANY of these suggestions get the software updated to the latest version WITHOUT opening up the Replay? BTW this newly acquired RTV was sold as "new" and the seller claimed it had never been used, that he just opened it to check activation. Given the old software, maybe he was telling the truth!!
post #14 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Hi again, To clarify I am connecting using ethernet. As stated I have 4 5500 Replays connected to WIRNS and the 5th one is the one with old software that will not update using the mothership. I appreciate all the suggestions, but it's all a little confusing and my question is this: do ANY of these suggestions get the software updated to the latest version WITHOUT opening up the Replay? BTW this newly acquired RTV was sold as "new" and the seller claimed it had never been used, that he just opened it to check activation. Given the old software, maybe he was telling the truth!!
hes telling the truth--or used very little before being shelved-if u connect by internet it will update to the newest software automatically but wont send or receive shows
. if it does not completely net connect do a complete factory reset and try again. if that dont work try dailing in as i suggested at slow speed. if that fails u have to do new os yourself as we all suggested ...
post #15 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I appreciate all the suggestions, but it's all a little confusing and my question is this: do ANY of these suggestions get the software updated to the latest version WITHOUT opening up the Replay?
I have posted a couple of times now that you can use WiRNS with the MySoftwareUpdate plugin to allow you to update the software using WiRNS, which means that you won't have to open the Replay.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post
I have posted a couple of times now that you can use WiRNS with the MySoftwareUpdate plugin to allow you to update the software using WiRNS, which means that you won't have to open the Replay.
we saw that but he says he cant complete a net connect but maybe he just meant the os update part doesnt complete. i did that once for fun and its not supposed to have to connect to wirns after to retain ca and ivs but it does on mine.---d
post #17 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I used the adapter at http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-D...apter+startech

Of course, you'll still need a PC with Windows on it, RTVPatch, and the new image.

1. disconnect Replay.
2. open case (remove 10 screws).
3. disconnect IDE cable from drive (leave power cable connected).
4. connect adapter to IDE connector on drive.
5. connect power to Replay (this provides power to drive).
6. After a few seconds (to allow drive to spin up), connect USB cable to PC.
7. Once the PC recognizes the drive, run RTVPatch.
8. Once the new software is installed, disconnect USB from PC.
9. remove power from Replay.
10. disconnect adapter from Replay drive.
11. reconnect Replay IDE cable.
12. put cover back on Replay.
i wonder if this works--just make a copy of the old drive and we are done--http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apricorn-Universal-Hard-Drive-Adapter/10811435?action=product_interest&action_type=image &placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id =85501269164&category=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A132959%3A4 463&client_guid=b33ac536-bbad-4bae-96df-58ff0ea888b1&config_id=2&parent_item_id=29016160&g uid=8b6c5abe-2b54-41e0-97ed-f303424d3634&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMet hod=p13n
post #18 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
we saw that but he says he cant complete a net connect but maybe he just meant the os update part doesnt complete. i did that once for fun and its not supposed to have to connect to wirns after to retain ca and ivs but it does on mine.---d
SHE said that she can't complete a net connect to DNNA, NOT WiRNS. DNNA has a problem serving software updates, WiRNS does not.

And, yes, she specifically posted in the original post that it aborts the net connect to DNNA when it attempts the software update.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
i wonder if this works--just make a copy of the old drive and we are done--http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apricorn-Universal-Hard-Drive-Adapter/10811435?action=product_interest&action_type=image &placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id =85501269164&category=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A132959%3A4 463&client_guid=b33ac536-bbad-4bae-96df-58ff0ea888b1&config_id=2&parent_item_id=29016160&g uid=8b6c5abe-2b54-41e0-97ed-f303424d3634&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMet hod=p13n
The adapter should work fine with a Replay disk. Of course, the software will probably be specific to Windows or Mac systems and useless here.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

update, sort of`

So, all 5 Replays are now working with WIRNS; however #5 (the one with the old software) WILL NOT update. Followed the mysoftware suggestions and did not work.....but it least they are now ALL working with WIRNS so even though it's not updating, I've accomplished the MAIN thing and without having to open the box. Thank you to all.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
So, all 5 Replays are now working with WIRNS; however #5 (the one with the old software) WILL NOT update. Followed the mysoftware suggestions and did not work.....but it least they are now ALL working with WIRNS so even though it's not updating, I've accomplished the MAIN thing and without having to open the box. Thank you to all.
You need to be sure you follow the instructions in that download, that you disable WiRNS' NoSoftwareUpdate plugin, and you make sure that MySoftwareUIpdate plugin is installed and operating, and that you put the swupdate file in the directory of the RTV serial number in the WiRNS folder of the RTV that you want to update. You can check that you have the correct plugins installed by checking the WiRNS index page to make sure you don't see NoSoftwareUpdate installed, and that you see MySoftwareUpdate installed instead. And, when you force that RTV to net connect, you can watch the WiRNS live log to see that the GetShellCommands logs that it is using swupdate, and then you should see MySoftwareUpdate logging that it is processing the software update.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post
SHE said that she can't complete a net connect to DNNA, NOT WiRNS. DNNA has a problem serving software updates, WiRNS does not.

And, yes, she specifically posted in the original post that it aborts the net connect to DNNA when it attempts the software update.
nice work --mysoftware only updates from a newer os version-- if ssshhheee can dial thru at low speed that will work for dnna and im probly the first one to point out dnna has that problem and at the time noone believed me---d

Last edited by srfrdan; 08-09-2014 at 05:18 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
if ur ever able to get dialup working it will update the os i think but it may have to step up to older versions first that no longer exist except at replaytvupgrade.com. ur better off with the old one because u can send and receive shows, it may have some bugs that are minor or missing some newer features.--- u dont really have to worry about getting either method to work and the dnna method will turn off ca and ivs--d

Last edited by srfrdan; 08-09-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page