Combined question of sound quality and 55xx compatibility - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Combined question of sound quality and 55xx compatibility

Hi,

I think I'm going to be the one to turn the lights out on ReplayTV. I find the files work very nicely on my iPad and it's great when I do business travel.

My units are starting to show their age, and as a hedge I've bought some backups off eBay. So I think I'm safe for a few years.

The sound on one of my RTVs has become softer. The recording are still watchable, but the volume has to be cranked up. It doesn't matter which input I use, even the COAX. Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be wrong and maybe how to fix it? I've confirmed that it's not the cable box. When I plug it directly into the TV, the sound is OK.

One of my backup units (still in transit) is a 55xx. I have read that its videos are identical to the 50xx, and in fact, if the same OS is installed, it becomes a 50xx. Is that true? I don't care about commercial skip and IVS because as long as DVArchive works, I use WiRNS to share the shows via poopli, and I won't actually watch TV directly from this box anyway. I usually watch the downloaded shows on my PC with VLC.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
The sound on one of my RTVs has become softer. The recording are still watchable, but the volume has to be cranked up. It doesn't matter which input I use, even the COAX. Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be wrong and maybe how to fix it? I've confirmed that it's not the cable box. When I plug it directly into the TV, the sound is OK.
I guess you should also try different outputs to make sure it's not the output.

The only other thing I can think of is the power supply. If you have spare units, you could try hooking up a spare unit there and just make a manual recording real quick and see what it sounds like. Is the sound softer if you watch live TV through the ReplayTV? If you can determine it is the unit, then you could try just swapping the power supply to see if that's what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
One of my backup units (still in transit) is a 55xx. I have read that its videos are identical to the 50xx, and in fact, if the same OS is installed, it becomes a 50xx. Is that true? I don't care about commercial skip and IVS because as long as DVArchive works, I use WiRNS to share the shows via poopli, and I won't actually watch TV directly from this box anyway. I usually watch the downloaded shows on my PC with VLC.
That's not true, although the hardware is basically the same. They both run the same OS already, it is the model number that determines how the OS operates. But, the only difference is CA and IVS, so if you don't care about those, then they will basically be identical.

What you may be thinking of is that the latest OS won't allow a 55xx to enable those options. Basically, the problem used to be that if you net connected to DNNA, they would disable those options on the net connect, but the OS would still allow them. So, if you ran something like WiRNS, then you could enable those two options and you would get them back. However, with the latest OS, it "looks" to see what model it is running on (it reads the serial number, which you can see on the 4-1-1-Zones screen and in the Setup Menu), and if it is a 55xx, then it completely disregards those two option settings and disables them. So, the trick is to run one of the previous versions of OS that don't check the model number and then use something like WiRNS to enable those two options. There is a post on here of a special version of the OS that basically has everything of the latest version EXCEPT for checking the model number, so you can put that version OS on a 55xx and get pretty much all the latest features and fixes, and still use something like WiRNS to enable CA and IVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page