No Video Signal - Possible Solution - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Touch the video chip. If the top of the chip is so hot that it burns your finger I'm pretty sure the Motherboard is dead.

Go buy/pickup a 5xxx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks dstoffa. The original 40GB HD went belly up a year ago or so and is long gone. I had replaced it with a Seagate 120GB HD, the 35.3 series, and it worked great for several months but then in July just before ReplayTV went out of biz, the new HD started giving me trouble. So I've been trying to diagnose the problem since then while buying new Seagate HD's, RTVpatching them and installing them in hopes that a newer HD would fix the problem since I suspected heat was causing the HD's to get clobbered. The Replay seems to boot up and start doing normal stuff when it's cold but then after only a few mins locks up. Upon unplugging/replugging power, it boots up all the way to the One moment please but then hangs up there. I'm afraid I am trying to resurrect a dead horse but it has been so good for many years and I hate to give up on it. I did sign up with LaHo to get the channel guide and at times the Replay did get the channel guide and start recording, even to record the whole 3hrs of a 49r game but then locked up. Thanks for your suggestions. Per your suggestion, I will try it again with all cables disconnected to see if it will get past "One moment please."
John
post #33 of 54 Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuczynski View Post
Touch the video chip. If the top of the chip is so hot that it burns your finger I'm pretty sure the Motherboard is dead.

Go buy/pickup a 5xxx...
Thanks Kuczynski. The chips had been pretty hot, too hot to keep my finger on. So I ASSumed that it just needed more cooling, so I cut a hole in the top cover and mounted a 12V PC type fan to keep it cool. But probably it's like you say, the motherboard is dead and I should give up on it. I hate to give up on it so I will do another test or two such as those suggested by dstoffa.
Thanks, I greatly appreciate the help that I have gotten from you-all.
John

post #34 of 54 Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Might be time to hit ebay, you can replace the whole thing for less than $50.

Here are some examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381409288352
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331660760054

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #35 of 54 Old 09-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
Might be time to hit ebay, you can replace the whole thing for less than $50.

Here are some examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381409288352
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331660760054
Thanks Robman. I expect I have been fighting a losing cause and you're right about getting one thru eBay and I think a used one would be the best bet since supposedly I can get my money back if it didn't work. Also I expect most people are switching to Tivo's and there will probably be a glut of Replay's coming on eBay. I had only looked at Amazon and didn't want to buy a new one for $200, figuring that although it was new, I wouldn't be able to return it or get my money back if it didn't work and I think there is a good chance that a new Replay wouldn't work. I hadn't looked at ebay before because of some snafu with my Paypal acct but now I see I can buy from eBay using a CC.
John

post #36 of 54 Old 09-27-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If there was a glut of Replays on ebay, I think it happened back in 2011, and even if there were still enough people using it, they probably started ditching them back in July when it died for good, so it's a bit after the fact now, but there are still units showing up. Just don't pay too much because the ones that are on ebay aren't really selling, just do a search for completed listed to see.

I do wonder how many of us there are that are still dedicated Replay users. Just be sure to register with Poopli if you haven't already done so, and if you registered years ago, you will need to re-register because the old Poopli crashed and now there's a new one.

Later, Rob

post #37 of 54 Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If there was a glut of Replays on ebay, I think it happened back in 2011, and even if there were still enough people using it, they probably started ditching them back in July when it died for good, so it's a bit after the fact now, but there are still units showing up. Just don't pay too much because the ones that are on ebay aren't really selling, just do a search for completed listed to see.

I do wonder how many of us there are that are still dedicated Replay users. Just be sure to register with Poopli if you haven't already done so, and if you registered years ago, you will need to re-register because the old Poopli crashed and now there's a new one.
I now have a 5540 but want the commercial skipping of a 50xx. Can a 5540 be patched to run 50xx software?
Thanks,
John
post #38 of 54 Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I now have a 5540 but want the commercial skipping of a 50xx. Can a 5540 be patched to run 50xx software?
Thanks,
John
post #39 of 54 Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whozaguy View Post
Thanks,
John
If you have WiRNS, you can enable Commercial Advance and Internet Video Sharing (does LaHo do this?).

However, the latest software from Replay would not allow it with the 55xx. You can get around the problem by installing earlier or modified software (see http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/whichimage.htm for images).
post #40 of 54 Old 10-03-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LaHo doesn't do it, you do need to re-image the drive to use an RTV-5040 image.

The ReplayTV must run a build prior to version 144 (ie, build 19 or build 140) of software version 5.1

build 19 (71 MB):
http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/downl..._530510190.zip

build 140 (302 MB):
http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/downl...yReset_140.zip

You will need RTVPatch to re-image the drive:
http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/

If you find you need extract_RTV for any reason, the link there no longer works, so here's a mirror site:
http://www.oocities.org/flipflop7146/
whozaguy likes this.

Later, Rob

Last edited by The Robman; 10-03-2015 at 01:50 PM.
post #41 of 54 Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:

The ReplayTV must run a build prior to version 144 (ie, build 19 or build 140) of software version 5.1

build 19 (71 MB):

build 140 (302 MB):

If you find you need extract_RTV for any reason, the link there no longer works, so here's a mirror site:
Thanks for all the info Robman. Very useful and much appreciated.
John
post #42 of 54 Old 10-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:

build 19 (71 MB):

build 140 (302 MB):

Thanks for all the info Robman. Very useful and much appreciated.
John
post #43 of 54 Old 10-03-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope you get it up and running, come back if u need help.

Later, Rob

post #44 of 54 Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5080 no video signal and blue screen

I have noticed on my 5080 replay that I'm now getting the no video message, if i reboot it will come on for a few seconds and then go back to the blue screen, I am feeding my replay from directv to input one and so I moved it to input two and the same problem, I then feed the directv rf channel 3 output to the rf input on the replay and still get the no video message and blue screen, I know the directv is providing a signal because with the rf hookup when the replay is off the directv feeds straight thru to the tv.
any suggestions would be appreciated, maybe the main board is dying, so if anyone has a 5080 their wanting to get rid of that i could get the motherboard out of that might be the route.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #45 of 54 Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileySmith View Post
I have noticed on my 5080 replay that I'm now getting the no video message, if i reboot it will come on for a few seconds and then go back to the blue screen, I am feeding my replay from directv to input one and so I moved it to input two and the same problem, I then feed the directv rf channel 3 output to the rf input on the replay and still get the no video message and blue screen, I know the directv is providing a signal because with the rf hookup when the replay is off the directv feeds straight thru to the tv.
any suggestions would be appreciated, maybe the main board is dying, so if anyone has a 5080 their wanting to get rid of that i could get the motherboard out of that might be the route.
I would check each of the chips on the motherboard with heatsinks to see if any are hot, they should be warm but not finger burning hot.
If they are ok, I would check the power supply. I suspect that you have one or more caps that are bad. A bad cap may or may not be bulging on the top.

I do repair the 5xxx power supplies replacing 12 caps and them test it. You can send just the power supply or the whole unit.
Send me a PM if that is of interest to you and I will provide more details including costs.
post #46 of 54 Old 04-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, I haven't opened the unit yet, I'll let you know what I find.
post #47 of 54 Old 04-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuczynski View Post
It sounds like your 3.3volt power supply is marginal to dying... Replace the C41 10v low esr 2200uF electrolytic cap on the power supply board. Watch polarity!

You can find them on ebay. 4 for about $5 shipped.
My first Replay had a similar problem. After a power outage, it would boot up but could not detect any video (on either input or the tuner). Disconnecting power for 1 second would fix it until next time. For that reason, I put a switch on the plug to make it easy to do it.

Note: for those insisting on "reboot properly", that NEVER worked for this problem.

It's working OK now that I replaced the power supply with one from an otherwise dead unit. I still have the old PS and may try fixing it for when I need another replacement.
post #48 of 54 Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 PM

well, I opened up the replay and all the vents were plugged even dust in the rc plugs not connected to anything, I blew it out and tried the unit again. The replay boots and but the fans don't come on ( it has an extra fan with a sensor on the harddrive) see pics also someone mentioned hot to the touch heat sinks again see pics the heat sink in the center is to hot to leave my finger on it. still no video detected. power supply caps don't look swelled (see pics). I'm at a loss on this any ideas? also does anyone repair these things anymore?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2062265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3365.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2062273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.JPG
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2062281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3369.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2062289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3368.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2062297  

Name:	IMG_3367.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2062305  
post #49 of 54 Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I still vote it's a bad c41 cap
post #50 of 54 Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 41
Lightbulb Everyone Has Options...

Quote:
I have noticed on my 5080 replay that I'm now getting the no video message, if i reboot it will come on for a few seconds and then go back to the blue screen... SNIP ...any suggestions would be appreciated, maybe the main board is dying, so if anyone has a 5080 their wanting to get rid of that i could get the motherboard out of that might be the route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post
I would check each of the chips on the motherboard with heatsinks to see if any are hot, they should be warm but not finger burning hot.
If they are ok, I would check the power supply. I suspect that you have one or more caps that are bad. A bad cap may or may not be bulging on the top.

I do repair the 5xxx power supplies replacing 12 caps and them test it. You can send just the power supply or the whole unit.
Send me a PM if that is of interest to you and I will provide more details including costs.
Quote:
well, I opened up the replay and all the vents were plugged even dust in the rc plugs not connected to anything, I blew it out and tried the unit again. The replay boots and but the fans don't come on ( it has an extra fan with a sensor on the harddrive) see pics also someone mentioned hot to the touch heat sinks again see pics the heat sink in the center is to hot to leave my finger on it. still no video detected. power supply caps don't look swelled (see pics). I'm at a loss on this any ideas? also does anyone repair these things anymore?
The options available to you are highly dependent on YOUR skill level, and / or willingness to try things:
  1. VERY* HANDY Folks: Go to the WiRNS site, find @Mikeyboy 's P/S voltage readings list, grab your DVM and see what you got.
  2. KINDA HANDY Folks: Swap the P/S from a good ReplayTV into the bad ReplayTV - if the problem goes away, the bad ReplayTV had a bad P/S.
    1. Fix it yourself.
    2. Send it to someone who offers to fix it.
  3. NOT HANDY Folks: Well... If you don't have a somewhat handy relative / friend / neighbor, be prepared to spend some $$$ if you have to employ a stranger to repair it.
    - Or, you could just buy another unit from eBay or PlanetReplay's Want Ads
@RileySmith ,

@Whitebar gave you an EXCELLENT answer, yet your follow-up post was that you're out of ideas - what kind of answer are you looking to read?

P.S. Who's in charge of the forum software updates here?!? LIST no longer INDENTs?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #51 of 54 Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM

thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question, the 5080 unit I have does have the chipped socket on the motherboard. due to some personal stuff I've haven't been able to test the power supply voltages even though I know the center most heat sink is to hot to touch so it may not be the motherboard that's at fault.
post #52 of 54 Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 AM

update: on my 5080 with no video, I got another power supply from ebay and installed it today. This has brought back the video, for now. The thing I noticed was that the center heat sink is still to hot to hold my finger on it. but for now it is working. fingers crossed
post #53 of 54 Old 04-25-2017, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 41
Lightbulb Fingertip Thermometers Are a 'Relative' Thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post

Quote:
update: on my 5080 with no video, I got another power supply from ebay and installed it today. This has brought back the video, for now. The thing I noticed was that the center heat sink is still to hot to hold my finger on it. but for now it is working. fingers crossed
Thanks for reporting back with your results! :thumbsup:

IME, 'Fingertip Thermometers' produce widely variable results - an Infrared Spot Thermometer would be better, but most folks don't own one (I just bought one! ).

If you refer back to my original reply in Post #50 , you seem to have satisfied situation #2 and chosen option 'c' (Buy another P/S on eBay ). So, now that you've identified the problem, you have a 'possibly spare' P/S on your hands. What you now do with it is up to you.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #54 of 54 Old 04-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
Thanks for reporting back with your results! :thumbsup:

IME, 'Fingertip Thermometers' produce widely variable results - an Infrared Spot Thermometer would be better, but most folks don't own one (I just bought one! ).

If you refer back to my original reply in Post #50 , you seem to have satisfied situation #2 and chosen option 'c' (Buy another P/S on eBay ). So, now that you've identified the problem, you have a 'possibly spare' P/S on your hands. What you now do with it is up to you.
just thought I'd post some tempertures I recorded on my 5080 after power supply replacement.
video still going so far, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
ps: is there somewhere I can find instructions for adding a second hard drive to this unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1 (1).JPG
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	2102737   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2102745   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG