No Video Signal - Possible Solution - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lightbulb No Video Signal - Possible Solution

Yesterday my 5000 series ReplayTV suddenly showed a blue screen and the "no video signal" message even though the cords were plugged in correctly and the Directv box it's connected to was on as always. I rebooted the Replaytv unit, and got a brief message about a problem with the fan, then the blue screen and "no video signal" message" again. No problem going through all of the normal reboot screens until it tries to detect the video signal.

After reading lots of posts on this forum, I unplugged everything from the unit and unplugged the power, let it sit for about an hour, opened it up and used compressed air to blow out all of the dust from the inside of the unit and the fan. The fan had no problem spinning.

I closed it back up and let it sit for another 12 hours. I plugged it back in but ONLY plugged in the RCA OUT cables (and NOT the IN video, ethernet cable, IR blaster, etc.). Unit booted up fine, and when I got to the blue screen and the "no video signal" message, I plugged in the RCA IN cables from my Directv box to the Replaytv. I waited a few minutes and the ReplayTV magically found the video signal again.

Not sure what caused it, but it's now working like a champ again. I realize the threads that I was reading are quite old, but I wanted to post this in case it helps someone else having the same problem in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It sounds like your 3.3volt power supply is marginal to dying... Replace the C41 10v low esr 2200uF electrolytic cap on the power supply board. Watch polarity!

You can find them on ebay. 4 for about $5 shipped.
post #3 of 54 Old 07-21-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ReplayTV 4504 video problem plus no guide from DNNA

Kucynski:
Besides now having no guide info from DNNA, I also have a video problem on my ReplayTV 4504. At first it said no video detected and now I see a narrow mostly blue band at the top of the TV screen. I had suspected that the power supply has gone bad. However, the voltages look ok, although the voltage of 50V on the Red wire seems rather high.
Y, Y: 3.3V
R: 50V
O, O: 2.6, 2.6V
B, B, B, B: 0V
G: 11.8
B: 5.07V

Any idea what could be wrong?
Thanks,
John

post #4 of 54 Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here's information on the 5K power supply: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/Mikey...rproblems.html which says that the voltages for the different color wires are:

Code:
Color:  Y   Y   R   O  O B B B B B Gr Bl
Value:3.3 3.3 34 2.5 2.5 0 0  0 0  0  12  5
Now, while this is for the 5K and not 4K, there certainly are a lot of similarities. I don't know if this helps with your question about 50 volts. It's certainly possible that the 4K uses 50 volts. But, on the 5K that wire is 34 volts.
post #5 of 54 Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 PM

ReplayTV 4504 video problem, need schematic

I was suspicious of the 50V at the Red wire on the main board. So I used my Fluke 87 multimeter in the diode setting and checked the main board with the power supply connector disconnected and found that the board is open-circuit at the Red wire terminal where I had been measuring 50V. I suspect there is a bad solder connection somewhere on the main board. Then I removed the main board and looked it over but couldn't see any problems. If I had a schematic, I should be able to trace out the circuit and find the bad solder connection. If anyone has a schematic, please let me know. Hopefully I will be able to get my 4504 back and running and then use LaHo or whatever to get the guide info.
Thanks, John
post #6 of 54 Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM

If you read that page about the 5K power supply, it says that is the tuner voltage. So, you might try tracing over to the tuner module. Since the tuner module solders into the main board with a lot of pins, that certainly might be the first place to look to see if one of the pins isn't soldered adequately.
post #7 of 54 Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 AM

ReplayTV 4504 video problem, R wire pin at 50V

Yes, and the Red wire voltage very high at 50V made me suspect that there was no current going to the video circuits, otherwise the 50V would probably be pulled down to the 34V level. I have checked all over the motherboard especially on the tuner section with my Fluke multimeter on the diode setting for connection to the "R" pin and haven't found any connections at all. Of course I may have missed something but it seems unlikely. So I suspect the R connector pin has come disconnected from the motherboard. I hate to unsolder the connector pins, fearing damage to the motherboard, but there seems to be no other choice.Wish me luck, I really would like to get the Replay working again.
post #8 of 54 Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Start checking at the connector instead. Find the trace off the connector for the red wire on the motherboard and ohm that to the red wire off the power supply. The problem could certainly be at the connector end, either that solder connection, or the pin on the connector or cable. I assume that you are checking the voltages at the top of the cable, so you wouldn't be able to tell if the cable was not making connection with the connector, like that the pin in the cable wasn't making contact.

You also should be able to ohm from the trace on the motherboard that goes to the red wire on the connector to the tuner to see if you can find where it connects, for whatever that is worth. I suspect that you'll end up finding that the problem is at the connector end, either the solder for that connector pin, or the cable connector itself. Remember that if you read that post I linked with the 5K connector description, that it says to check for the 34-volt red wire's pin being burned. If the pin in the cable is burned, then it is likely it won't make a good connection with the connector pin.
post #9 of 54 Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM

ReplayTV 4504 video problem, R wire pin at 50V

Thanks ReplayAddict. I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
I removed the connector and had looked for a point on the motherboard where the red wire's pin was connected but couldn't find any. The motherboard is a multilayer board and the 34V trace is on an inner layer, so I had to check all over the board, especially on the tuner section. Also, the connector pin isn't burned but I suspect that it has become unsoldered to the board. Before I start unsoldering the pin on the motherboard, I think I should check to see if the pin is making intermittent connection to the motherboard by reconnecting the power supply cable and wiggling the connector while it's powered up to see if 1) the voltage drops from 50V to 34V or whatever and 2) see if the tuner gets powered and the video signal returns.
post #10 of 54 Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,

We had a heavy thunderstorm a couple of days ago, and there was a brief power outage of maybe one second.

One of my three ReplayTVs lost video after the storm.

I also have another ReplayTV that went out a couple of years ago. It doesn't power up the fan at all.

I'm thinking these have bad power supplies, and will try to fix them myself. I worked with electronic circuits decades ago, in my youth. It's been a while but I know how to use a volt/ohm meter and a soldering gun.

I'm wondering if the cap mentioned at the top of this thread is the likely problem, and if so, should I just try replacing it? Can someone send a link to the correct replacement part, or can you confirm that this is the right part?

http://www.amazon.com/Nichicon-Alumi...QPQAV8RRW5XAH5

Thanks!
post #11 of 54 Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is not the correct part. You need a low esr version.

Like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Nichicon-...item3a8429e742

GL...
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #12 of 54 Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuczynski View Post
That is not the correct part. You need a low esr version.

Like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Nichicon-...item3a8429e742

GL...
Thanks! It's on order now.
post #13 of 54 Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozaguy View Post
Thanks ReplayAddict. I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
I removed the connector and had looked for a point on the motherboard where the red wire's pin was connected but couldn't find any. The motherboard is a multilayer board and the 34V trace is on an inner layer, so I had to check all over the board, especially on the tuner section. Also, the connector pin isn't burned but I suspect that it has become unsoldered to the board. Before I start unsoldering the pin on the motherboard, I think I should check to see if the pin is making intermittent connection to the motherboard by reconnecting the power supply cable and wiggling the connector while it's powered up to see if 1) the voltage drops from 50V to 34V or whatever and 2) see if the tuner gets powered and the video signal returns.
Still no video on my ReplayTV 4504. I tried to find where the #3 pin is connected on the main board but sadly I was not able to find where the #3 pin connects. I used my Fluke 87 multimeter on the its Diode setting and detected a REVERSE connection to somewhere on the board, indicating a diode or transistor, but I could not find the part. Yesterday I unsoldered the #3 pin, removed it and then resoldered the pin but it didn't correct the problem. And I opened up the tuner box, xxx, and probed on the board but couldn't find a connection to the #3 pin. After resoldering the #3 pin, I still get the "no video detected" message and I still have 50V on the #3 pin that apparently is supposed to be 34V. The board is multilayer and the trace for the #3 pin apparently is an inner trace on the board. Does anyone have a schematic for the 4000 or 5000 series ReplayTV's?
Thanks, John
post #14 of 54 Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Still no video on my ReplayTV 4504. I tried to find where the #3 pin is connected on the main board but sadly I was not able to find where the #3 pin connects. I used my Fluke 87 multimeter on the its Diode setting and detected a REVERSE connection to somewhere on the board, indicating a diode or transistor, but I could not find the part. Yesterday I unsoldered the #3 pin, removed it and then resoldered the pin but it didn't correct the problem. And I opened up the tuner box, xxx, and probed on the board but couldn't find a connection to the #3 pin. After resoldering the #3 pin, I still get the "no video detected" message and I still have 50V on the #3 pin that apparently is supposed to be 34V. The board is multilayer and the trace for the #3 pin apparently is an inner trace on the board. Does anyone have a schematic for the 4000 or 5000 series ReplayTV's?
Thanks, John
Still no video on my ReplayTV 4504. I tried to find where the #3 pin is connected on the main board but sadly I was not able to find where the #3 pin connects. I used my Fluke 87 multimeter on the its Diode setting and detected a REVERSE connection to somewhere on the board, indicating a diode or transistor, but I could not find the part. Yesterday I unsoldered the #3 pin, removed it and then resoldered the pin but it didn't correct the problem. And I opened up the tuner box, the ENG56717G1, and probed on the board but couldn't find a connection to the #3 pin. After resoldering the #3 pin, I still get the "no video detected" message and I still have 50V on the #3 pin that apparently is supposed to be 34V. The board is multilayer and the trace for the #3 pin apparently is an inner trace on the board. Does anyone have a schematic for the 4000 or 5000 series ReplayTV's?
post #15 of 54 Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM

I had a 4K open the other day playing with the hard drive. I wish I had thought to measure the voltage and see if I could find out where it goes. I was surprised at how different both the power supply and connector cable were in the 4K versus the 5K!
post #16 of 54 Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, John
I guess I'm really confused about the "no video" problem on my ReplayTV 4504. I had assumed it was a tuner problem since earlier posts had mentioned the 34V power and all that. However, I am using a cable box and so am using the RCA inputs from the cable box. I got this info from dstoffa, Doug, in his post about "dead tuner" in

Dead tuner :(.

So perhaps I don't have a tuner problem at all but it's the Decoder or whatever. Any ideas?
Thanks, John
post #17 of 54 Old 08-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post
I had a 4K open the other day playing with the hard drive. I wish I had thought to measure the voltage and see if I could find out where it goes. I was surprised at how different both the power supply and connector cable were in the 4K versus the 5K!
Got my Replay 4504 working for a few minutes yesterday both on the RCA inputs and the RF input. Also it recorded for a few minutes: I could rewind and replay what had been showing. Then it died with the dreaded "no video detected" message. So it sounds like the voltages are marginal or a remote possibly is that there's a temperature problem. So Replay Addict, what voltages should I measure for my 4504?
Thanks,
John
post #18 of 54 Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Got my Replay 4504 working for a few minutes yesterday both on the RCA inputs and the RF input. Also it recorded for a few minutes: I could rewind and replay what had been showing. Then it died with the dreaded "no video detected" message. So it sounds like the voltages are marginal or a remote possibly is that there's a temperature problem. So Replay Addict, what voltages should I measure for my 4504?

Best I can do is to offer to try to open my 4K this weekend and check out my voltages. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any other documentation on the 4K power supply, hopefully they are available on eBay or such if need be.

I think you're correct, however, that if you aren't using the coax input tuner, then it might should be irrelevant. But, if the video voltage is out of wack, it might also indicate that there's something else going wrong with your power supply. You'd probably need a scope to check that all the voltages actually look good.

But, I'll try to check it out this weekend and let you know.
SD_Shadow and whozaguy like this.
post #19 of 54 Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Best I can do is to offer to try to open my 4K this weekend and check out my voltages. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any other documentation on the 4K power supply, hopefully they are available on eBay or such if need be.

I think you're correct, however, that if you aren't using the coax input tuner, then it might should be irrelevant. But, if the video voltage is out of wack, it might also indicate that there's something else going wrong with your power supply. You'd probably need a scope to check that all the voltages actually look good.

But, I'll try to check it out this weekend and let you know.
Thanks. I checked the voltages today with my o-scope and they look just fine, just a tiny bit of noise. Here's what I measure:
The ReplayTV4504 did work for a few minutes again and then gave me the "no video" message when I tried to do a manual record and I wasn't able to get it to work again. I don't have the Channel Listings set up. So maybe I should go ahead and get the LaHo.
John
post #20 of 54 Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder because I forgot! I put a screwdriver and multimeter on my 4K so that I'll hopefully remember to look at it tomorrow.
whozaguy likes this.
post #21 of 54 Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I checked the voltages today with my o-scope and they look just fine, just a tiny bit of noise. Here's what I measure:
The ReplayTV4504 did work for a few minutes again and then gave me the "no video" message when I tried to do a manual record and I wasn't able to get it to work again.
OK, I have my 4K open and I measured the voltages, and sure enough, the red wire is 50 volts! Unfortunately, measuring the green wire, I touched the side of the probe against the Ethernet shield above it and shorted it. Cycling power did not revive it. But, looking at the power supply, it has separate 12 volt protections going to the mother board and to each of the hard drives separately. Since I only have one hard drive connected, I stole the protection from the second hard drive to replace the mother board protection, and it's back working again! I'm not going to test my luck and try to figure out where the 50 volts goes, especially since there's probably not a lot of a value in it to you now that we've established that 50 volts appears to be correct.

Now all I have to do is figure out what a H0006 is! Although, it probably doesn't matter because I doubt I'd ever hook up a second hard drive anyways. And, even if I did, I would likely just use a Y connector for the power. Or, I could just bridge the two hard drive 12 volts so that they'd only have one protection for the both of them.
post #22 of 54 Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 AM

FYI, I was able to order a pair of those protectors on eBay, so I'll have them just in case.
post #23 of 54 Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
OK, I have my 4K open and I measured the voltages, and sure enough, the red wire is 50 volts! Unfortunately, measuring the green wire, I touched the side of the probe against the Ethernet shield above it and shorted it. Cycling power did not revive it. But, looking at the power supply, it has separate 12 volt protections going to the mother board and to each of the hard drives separately. Since I only have one hard drive connected, I stole the protection from the second hard drive to replace the mother board protection, and it's back working again! I'm not going to test my luck and try to figure out where the 50 volts goes, especially since there's probably not a lot of a value in it to you now that we've established that 50 volts appears to be correct.

Now all I have to do is figure out what a H0006 is! Although, it probably doesn't matter because I doubt I'd ever hook up a second hard drive anyways. And, even if I did, I would likely just use a Y connector for the power. Or, I could just bridge the two hard drive 12 volts so that they'd only have one protection for the both of them.
Thanks ReplayAddict and I'm glad your 4K is operable. My 4504 has two power supply output connectors and a few months ago one of the H0006's failed or was smoked on one of the connectors. I think the HD caused the H0006 to fail.The other connector doesn't have an H0006. I didn't know where to get an H0006, so I just used the other power supply output connector that didn't have the H0006 protection and replaced the HD to get another few months of life on my 4504. One of these days I should replace the smoked H0006.

Since apparently my PS voltages are ok, I'll look for other problems. My 4504 has operated a couple of times for a few minutes, so it seems like there's a good chance I'll get it running solidly again.
John
post #24 of 54 Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks ReplayAddict and I'm glad your 4K is operable. My 4504 has two power supply output connectors and a few months ago one of the H0006's failed or was smoked on one of the connectors. I think the HD caused the H0006 to fail.The other connector doesn't have an H0006. I didn't know where to get an H0006, so I just used the other power supply output connector that didn't have the H0006 protection and replaced the HD to get another few months of life on my 4504. One of these days I should replace the smoked H0006.
Well, my power supply has three H0006's all in a little triangle area, one by each HD power connector and one by the mother board power connector, so it was easy for me to simply move the protector from the second HD power connector to the mother board power connector. Here's the link to the auction on eBay where I purchased a pair of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/h0006-for-2p...-/271935620803. Probably a bit expensive, but I couldn't find any other trace of them.
post #25 of 54 Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Well, my power supply has three H0006's all in a little triangle area, one by each HD power connector and one by the mother board power connector, so it was easy for me to simply move the protector from the second HD power connector to the mother board power connector. Here's the link to the auction on eBay where I purchased a pair of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/h0006-for-2p...-/271935620803. Probably a bit expensive, but I couldn't find any other trace of them.
Goofy problems with my Replay 4504: I got the Channel Guide from LaHo and saw that it was getting a picture and it was coming thru the tuner, so the tuner is ok. So I set up a scheduled recording and recorded the 49r game on Sunday. It recorded all the way thru, 3 hrs, and the video looked fine but no audio. Then as soon as the record time was over, the dreaded "no video" message showed up and I was not able to get the video back and never got the audio. It was getting the signal thru the tuner, not the RCA connectors. It just now occurred to me that I should set it up for inputs only on the RCA conn's, not the RF, to see what happens. Very strange behavior!
post #26 of 54 Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
FYI, I received my replacement H0006's, so now I should be in good shape!
post #27 of 54 Old 09-06-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Goofy problems with my Replay 4504: I got the Channel Guide from LaHo and saw that it was getting a picture and it was coming thru the tuner, so the tuner is ok. So I set up a scheduled recording and recorded the 49r game on Sunday. It recorded all the way thru, 3 hrs, and the video looked fine but no audio. Then as soon as the record time was over, the dreaded "no video" message showed up and I was not able to get the video back and never got the audio. It was getting the signal thru the tuner, not the RCA connectors. It just now occurred to me that I should set it up for inputs only on the RCA conn's, not the RF, to see what happens. Very strange behavior!
Now I'm suspecting it's just a heat problem that's screwing up my ReplayTV 4504. The Replay has operated (recorded) for up to 3 hrs but then shuts down when it switches to recording another show. That's only when it has cooled for several hours. Unpluggin/replugging the power does not get the Replay working again until it cools for several hours. The power supply voltages seem to be ok and I have verified that both the tuner and the RCA inputs work ok for a while at least. The fan is turning but there isn't a lot of air flow. I don't know if I should simply replace the fan in the unit or if I may have to add some external cooling as suggested in other AVS Forum posts. However, I strongly suspect that if the Replay gets a lot of cooling, it will work ok. A few months ago the original HD died and I replaced it with a 160GB Seagate HD. Possibly the new HD is adding too much heat to the unit. Then with this latest round of problems, I suspected HD problems and replaced the Seagate HD with a little larger Maxtor that may be running even hotter than the Seagate. I will ask for external cooling help in a different post.
Thanks for all your help,
John
post #28 of 54 Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM

4K's use a pretty normal fan. You probably can pick up a replacement fairly easy. You probably should also blow out the fan blades and the insides of the 4K.

As far as I know, only the earlier models of Showstoppers and ReplayTVs had heat problems, so you probably don't need to be concerned with that. The 4K was designed to be able to hold two hard drives in it, so running a single Seagate HD should be no problem. Especially since those newer Seagate drives use a lot less power in the first place. If you were really concerned, then you could use a 5400 RPM hard drive instead of a 7200 RPM, but I really suspect that any newer drive would run fairly cool. I'd definitely check into replacing the fan if you don't think it is cooling properly. I just felt mine, and it doesn't blow too very hard, but the air temperature is definitely very cool coming out. You should be able to kind of determine if the air coming out feels warm or hot, which would certainly indicate that either something inside is running too hot, or you have a cooling problem.
post #29 of 54 Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
4K's use a pretty normal fan. You probably can pick up a replacement fairly easy. You probably should also blow out the fan blades and the insides of the 4K.

As far as I know, only the earlier models of Showstoppers and ReplayTVs had heat problems, so you probably don't need to be concerned with that. The 4K was designed to be able to hold two hard drives in it, so running a single Seagate HD should be no problem. Especially since those newer Seagate drives use a lot less power in the first place. If you were really concerned, then you could use a 5400 RPM hard drive instead of a 7200 RPM, but I really suspect that any newer drive would run fairly cool. I'd definitely check into replacing the fan if you don't think it is cooling properly. I just felt mine, and it doesn't blow too very hard, but the air temperature is definitely very cool coming out. You should be able to kind of determine if the air coming out feels warm or hot, which would certainly indicate that either something inside is running too hot, or you have a cooling problem.
Here's the latest on my ReplayTV 4504. Figuring that I had a heat problem, I installed a 12V PC type fan in the top cover. Then I bought a new Seagate 160GB hard drive and went thru the RTVPatching on the HD. It booted up and tried to connect to the orig ReplayTV website to get the Channel Guide but after trying for 3 mins or so, the screen said it couldn't get the guide or some such message and then locked up. I couldn't get it out of that state, so unplugged the power and replugged it after a couple of minutes. Then it got to the One moment please screen and got stuck there. I did the RTVPatch again on the HD and reinstalled it. It again gets to the One moment please screen and gets stuck.I tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable to see if it would boot up, but still gets stuck at the One moment please screen. The power supply voltages look good. Perhaps there is something wrong with the main board and there is no hope for this 4504? Any ideas?
Thanks,
John
post #30 of 54 Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Here's the latest on my ReplayTV 4504. Figuring that I had a heat problem, I installed a 12V PC type fan in the top cover. Then I bought a new Seagate 160GB hard drive and went thru the RTVPatching on the HD. It booted up and tried to connect to the orig ReplayTV website to get the Channel Guide but after trying for 3 mins or so, the screen said it couldn't get the guide or some such message and then locked up. I couldn't get it out of that state, so unplugged the power and replugged it after a couple of minutes. Then it got to the One moment please screen and got stuck there. I did the RTVPatch again on the HD and reinstalled it. It again gets to the One moment please screen and gets stuck.I tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable to see if it would boot up, but still gets stuck at the One moment please screen. The power supply voltages look good. Perhaps there is something wrong with the main board and there is no hope for this 4504? Any ideas?
Thanks,
John
Unplug any connection to the outside world and put the old hard drive back in... It should boot.

If it does. Shut it down, and use RTVPatch to make a backup of the system partition.

Then, I'd let it boot again, with noting attached. You will need to use WiRNS or sub to LaHo / PD to easily get this unit back up and running...

But I'd put the old HD back in first....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page