AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by SonicRichard
Okay, here come the replies:
4. On streaming high quality shows and playing high quality shows while recording high quality shows on 5000 boxes: Yep, it’s not reliable. We have a build that has significantly better performance, and those changes will be in the next release.
Please tell me you can reliably record and watch a show at the same time! (I'm not worried about serving a file.... yet. New feature to me) I've never had much luck with my 3k boxes, the recordings are always screwed up, missing frames and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2002, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does Canada have some sort of tough FTC-type organization that would make it difficult to import electronics?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
The time bar is fine with the T***s limited 30 minute pause. With Replay's circular buffer which allows you to pause for as much time as you have free hd space how would you implement this? And if you leave the T*** paused for 30 min where would you rewind to?
The Tivo time bar works with live content and recorded content (which can be multiple hours long). Basically, the longer the recording, the longer the time bar represents. It could be 2 minutes long, or 10 hours long. It's like a map, where one inch could represent 1 mile or 100 miles.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mason
about twice the number of premium movie channels as either Dish or DTV,
I had a BUD for quite a while, until I moved and could not put the BUD at my new location. Where are twice the number of premium movie channels? I recall a few Cinemax channels on C-band that aren't offered on Dish or DirecTV, but that's about it. And my C-band bill with 4DTV was just as high as my DishNetwork bill is. I will say the picture quality on C-band was generally quite a bit better than DBS, particularly now that compression is being used more and more with the DBS systems.

There has also been the move the last couple of years by some programmers to not even make available a C-band feed of their programming for people to subscribe to.

BUD numbers will continue to decline, 4DTV or not. The customers just aren't there anymore now that small dish systems are common and cable systems are continuing to add more programming with digital cable. There was a time the only way to get a large variety of programming options was with a big dish, but that time is history.

-Gary

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Eug

Canada has a lot of bizarre organizations, but given that pretty much any consumer electronics available in the U.S. are also available there, I don't think that's an issue.

- Eug
Old 12-18-2002, 12:47 PM

First of all, welcome. We got the news that you had made the switch a few months ago, and were wondering when you would make your entrance.

I am also encouraged by your candor and willingness to step up and take the hard questions, and even give us little glimpses of where things are going.

I am similarly discouraged that you were unaware of quite a few of the problems that people have listed here. Lyndon has addressed the issues in the past (loud fans, IR Blaster/CA not working, etc...), and in your replies to quite a few of these you said this was the first you had heard of them. It doesn't say much for communication within the SonicBlue organization, if these were known by some and that knowledge wasn't getting to you.

While I am aware of the dynamic that people tend to give voice to dissatisfaction much more so than satisfaction, the tone on this board has been going steadily down lately. (toots even left for a month, and Heathriel seemed to be missing for a few weeks.) We need a boost and hopefully you will be able to provide it.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 PM

Quote:
reedg01 wrote:
... While I am aware of the dynamic that people tend to give voice to dissatisfaction much more so than satisfaction...
too true. however there was one post (over a month ago) about "satisfaction". fyi.

...mike                    &nb sp;not to be confused with the former ReplayTV employee JustMike
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard,

Welcome to the ReplayTV forum! Your wonderful TiVo legacy precedes you (though we won't hold it against you!) ;)

It's great to hear that SonicBlue is at least lending an ear to a public forum. My stock 2020 and hacked 2000 are going strong, and I look forward to what you and SonicBlue have for us in the future!

Enjoy your stay, and don't forget to duck every once in a while! :D

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Please tell me you can reliably record and watch a show at the same time!
The only thing my 5040's have difficulty with is streaming at high quality while the remote unit is turned on. They work great recording, playing and recording and playing at the same time. They can also stream fine if the remote box is recording on high and streaming, as long as it's turned off.

-Gary

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
Old 12-18-2002, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW:

My month-long absence from this forum was pretty much due to two factors:

1) Nothing "new" was going on
2) I felt my negativity wasn't being at all helpful

I'll note for the record that any problems with my 4000s that I voiced back then are still every bit problematic now. I'm just trying to be a little more constructive.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
Old 12-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

BaysideBas

For a buffered or paused program, the time bar could be limited to just two or three hours. Better still, a time bar display comprised of two bars - one for up to an hour, the other in one hour increments - could be devised for the long buffer times available on the Replay. Obviously, I'm limited to 30 minutes on Tivo.

For programs already on disk, the time bar should be the length of the program as on Tivo.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
The Tivo time bar works with live content and recorded content (which can be multiple hours long). Basically, the longer the recording, the longer the time bar represents. It could be 2 minutes long, or 10 hours long. It's like a map, where one inch could represent 1 mile or 100 miles.
Thank you Dr Stah. But the post I was replying to stated:
Quote:
On the 5160 it's not so easy to RW to the beginning of a paused program without the time bar.
Since the answer to that, when viewing a recorded program, is so trivial, I assumed that the poster was referring to paused LIVE content. In which case you should revisit my post and try to get a line on what my query is.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

And at least now we know somone is listening.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Thank you Dr Stah. But the post I was replying to stated:

Since the answer to that, when viewing a recorded program, is so trivial, I assumed that the poster was referring to paused LIVE content. In which case you should revisit my post and try to get a line on what my query is.
My understanding of the poster's meaning was this: Why not show a time bar that shows you where you are in relation to the current recording or live tv buffer? So if the live buffer is currently 5 hours "full", have a time bar that represents 5 hours, with some indication of where you are currently in relation to that (i.e, 2 hours behind "live").

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

-------------------------------------------------------
At this time we don't intend to extend support to the C-Band systems. I hate to tell you, but you're in a dying breed. You don't speak Latin, do you? Seriously, it is not on our list of things to support. Sorry.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I'd invite a second look. A lot of good points have been made, already. Here are some more.

1. People who buy 4DTV's and Other C-Band equipmnet are already Video Hobbiests, and aren't afraid to spend money on equipment.

2. The subscription numbers have fallen since the NFL only on C-Band, but have steadied, and over 800,000 is a pretty darn big cable system. There are dozens and dozens of cable boxes, Little Dish models listed on the Replay that wouldn't have that many active users.

3. C-Band listings are available on Zap2It (although not the extended digital 4DTV listings). We're not asking to have the wheel reinvented.

4. Hundreds of hours have gone into the development of an interface box that supports RTV just for C-Band w/o and support from Sonic Blue. If I was in marketing and had folks that willing to work with my product, I'd take notice.

5. We're only asking for listings, with whatever numbering system you like. Heck, use the digital representation of the Zap2It service number if you like. We'll do the rest. We're not asking for anything that requires any new listing service contracts like supporting Canada.

6. With any little sign of support, we're prepared to yell loud and long about how SonicBlue 'gets it'. This would include the listing magazines, and other visible media. C-Band folks love technology, and will buy any product that supports us.

I appreciate your reply, and know that you're giving me the answer as it is now. I'll post my email address below iso enable you to get in touch with me, and allow me to make our case with others in your company.

In echo of another reply, help us to send money to your company.

Cliff
cliffc@eskimo.com

Thank You
Old 12-18-2002, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
...with some indication of where you are currently in relation to that (i.e, 2 hours behind "live").
As someone mentioned previously, pressing display gives you a digital indication, accurate to the minute, of how far behind live you are.

BTW, even the brain dead Dish PVR gives you a continuous display of "how far behind..." when pausing live content.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
Old 12-18-2002, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Being a big user of the display feature, I don't necessarily miss the TiVo progress bar, but what the heck?

Assuming that SB has a couple of programmers left, and they actually get the high priority bugs fixed, what's the damage here? When reversing or FFing through the live "pause buffer," why not put a progress bar up with little tick marks on it corresponding to when shows started? I mean, it's semi-easily computable from the guide.

'Smatter'o'fac, you could even construct some sort of fliberdy-jump macro that would bounce you back to the time period when the show was supposed to have started (according to the guide).

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
Old 12-18-2002, 02:20 PM

One question:

how much will 5k UEIC-made remotes cost when sonicblue sells them on their own?

oh wait, another question:

Did you have anything to do with the fact that the 5k remotes look kinda like tivo remotes?

Click here to see my poopli shared 4K shows
Old 12-18-2002, 03:07 PM

What about MP3 playback capability on the 5000 series? I know some people don't consider this a big deal but it would be huge for some of us. That feature would easily add at least another $200 value to the machine, especially with the digital output. Just look what people are paying for the streaming MP3 players (audiotron) and HD based MP3 decks are sometimes more than twice the price of the 5160.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:16 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

Hank, what you experienced during Buffy wasn't a scheduled reboot, it was a crash -- presumably what the scheduled reboots are intended to prevent.

My ReplayTV notes
jtl-avs-replaytv@molehill.org
Old 12-18-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
I had a BUD for quite a while, until I moved and could not put the BUD at my new location. Where are twice the number of premium movie channels?
OK, here's the list of HBO/Max Channels:
HBOE, HBOW, HBO2E, HBO2W, HBOS, HBOSW, HBOFE, HBOFW, HBOcmE HBOcmW, HBOznE, HBOznW, MAXE, MAXW, MMAXE, AcMAXE, AcMAXW ThMAXE, ThMAXW, WMAX, @MAX, 5MAX (5StarMax), OMAX (OuterMax), HBOLa, HBOHDE, and HBOHDW. That makes 26. Cinemax HD E & W are soon to come. I believe that is OVER twice the number of HBO channels on either DTV or Dish.

Showtime/TMC/Flix/SDance has 26 channels also. I paid $79 for a year of Showtime/TMC/etc last year. Rather than list them here also, why not just click on one of the links I provided in my first message which shows about everything. Again, over twice the number of Showtime premiums on the little dish networks.

As far as the Starz!/Encore suite...the numbers are impressive but I consider their offerings low end so I won't go into them unless you wish. They're on the list.

Look, this was not to start a "mine is bigger 'n yours" war, it was to point out that that I'm missing about half my available channels on the Replay guide. If you know of a "Provider" listed on Replay that can give me the above channels then I'd be a pretty happy man.

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
I recall a few Cinemax channels on C-band that aren't offered on Dish or DirecTV, but that's about it. And my C-band bill with 4DTV was just as high as my DishNetwork bill is. I will say the picture quality on C-band was generally quite a bit better than DBS, particularly now that compression is being used more and more with the DBS systems.
Gary
I hope I covered both the other issues, number of channels and cost to your satisfaction. But again, I'm not trying to sell C-Band here.

The point of my first post is we are still 850,000 strong and Replay could quite easily (unless I'm overlooking something) avail themselves of this group. I'm wondering if Replay would decline to put in a cable company that had "only" 850,000 subscribers. 'course this assumes RTV wants our money.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:33 PM

Oh ...
If that's the case, reboots every two days are not working so well, I think. :)

Like I said, I'm not exactly wearing this thing out ... a few programs a week, some sports. It doesn't give me a good feeling about buying one of these for the wife. I know most in here are enthusiasts and already own multiples, but ordinary users aren't going to shell out the money for something that's this flaky.

Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
Hank, what you experienced during Buffy wasn't a scheduled reboot, it was a crash -- presumably what the scheduled reboots are intended to prevent.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

00055-09166-69985
Old 12-18-2002, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mason

The point of my first post is we are still 850,000 strong and Replay could quite easily (unless I'm overlooking something) avail themselves to this group.. I'm wondering if Replay would decline to put in a cable company that had only 850,000 subscribers. . 'course this assumes RTV wants our money.
You have the point. For SonicBlue, I have another piece of information to consider.

4DTV folks are going to pay $100-$150 for the device to allow the Replay Serial output to control the 4DTV. We want the capability of the PVR coupled with our equipment. The box was conceived, designed, tested and will be sold for no other reason then to provide the seamless control of the 4DTV from the Replay guides and scheduling interface.

The listings of channels that the 4DTV has compared to the best (only) available serial output supported service, DTV is astonishing to those who only know the little dish or cable system. The quality is unsurpassed.

Many 4DTV folks are invested in Home Theatre components. We're not resistant to having one, or in many cases, several RTV's to support our systems.

We're not putting down any other system, or are downplaying any other users request for a feature. We are simply asking for a config switch to be thrown that will allow the C-Band/4DTV listings to be selected for one of out programming inputs.

Assign the offerings any numbering scheme you like, just output the 'channel' to the serial output. You don't need to try and control the dish. We've solved that as fans of the Replay system.

We're not asking for the moon, just the guide data.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Great, you (OK, we) have all scared him away now...

(bangs head on wall) stupid, stupid, stupid...

Or maybe, he's been at LOTR: TTT the whole day. Darnit I'm getting the jitters...
Old 12-18-2002, 06:15 PM

Quote:

At this time we don't intend to extend support to the C-Band systems. I hate to tell you, but you're in a dying breed. You don't speak Latin, do you? Seriously, it is not on our list of things to support. Sorry.

-RB

Richard,

Please reconsider this. C-Band 4DTV receive the only current C-Band receiver still in production, Interfacing of ReplayTV box using DirecTV serial connection. All R&D is done, ReplayTV need only to add channels in a lineup that are on 4DTV. So if we would like HBO east on channel 100, 4DTV will go there. ReplayTV needs only to send FA 46 00 64 thats all. Would could be the trouble with that? The designer of DVRBlackBOX (proto built / software complete)

And Richard, If we are a dying breed then why do I count 48 movie channels not mapped to DirecTV?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lowspeed
SO richard you have 320GB 5000 models ... thats very interesting...

Since i don't think there's a 320GB HD (IDE) drive out there then it means the 5000 does support 2 drives....

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Low.

Hi Richard,

I am also dying to know if the RTV 5040 hardware can support two drives or not. I am not yet a ReplayTV user (have been a loyal TiVo fan for 2 years), but am now seriously considering getting a ReplayTV 5040 ... but my decision is heavily dependent on if I can eventually upgrade it with TWO high capacity drives or not.

Please let us know if the 5xxx hardware supports two drives or not.

I am not asking you to answer any hacking related questions ... just letting us know whether your 320 unit have one or two drives will suffice ;)

Thanks and welcome !
Old 12-18-2002, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RB

As a C-band user and a member of more then a few C-band forums. I believe that Sonic-blue has no ideal how many of theover 800,000 C-band
users will run to buy Replay hardware and happily pay for the service if
Replaytv would just give us the smallest bit of support. Please reconsider
and have ReplayTV add channels in a lineup for the 4DTV. The C-band community has done the rest. The new sells of Replaytv hardware and
services by C-band owner will pay for the man power it takes the add a C-band/4DTV channel listing.

Thanks

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
Old 12-18-2002, 07:46 PM

good news. for me. sorry.

12 hours after i spoke with a support person - i just got a "SONICblue Shipping Notification" e-mail, with a UPS tracking number.

so, would this have happened if i hadn't gotten through this morning?

and i still haven't really gotten a response to any of my e-mails.

now we can look forward to my complaining that the unit hasn't arrived yet.

did i mention i ordered it on Dec 13, as did many others?

...mike                    &nb sp;not to be confused with the former ReplayTV employee JustMike
Old 12-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psxjunky
Hi Richard,

I am also dying to know if the RTV 5040 hardware can support two drives or not. I am not yet a ReplayTV user (have been a loyal TiVo fan for 2 years), but am now seriously considering getting a ReplayTV 5040 ... but my decision is heavily dependent on if I can eventually upgrade it with TWO high capacity drives or not.

Please let us know if the 5xxx hardware supports two drives or not.

I am not asking you to answer any hacking related questions ... just letting us know whether your 320 unit have one or two drives will suffice ;)

Thanks and welcome !
Yeah I'm suprised he ansdwered 99% of the emails and skipped mine :(
SAD :(

----------------------------------------------
Old 12-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

As has been discovered already, the current OS on the 5040s do no support dual drives.

For C-Band folks, it should be easy enough for SB to include the correct channel lineups. And if the won't.. don't give up hope... there is always a way to become your own SB proxy and do the work yourself.