Closed Thread

post #181 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
I've often had those sorts of problems with UPS.

Order something on day 1
On day 2, UPS leaves a note that says "This is our second attempt."
Late on day 2/early on Day 3, try to pick the package up, and they tell me they tried to deliver three times, and returned it to the sender. And those are the times when they bother leaving any note.

My bad experiences with UPS are legion.
Ditto for me! I use FedEx exclusively, whenever possible!

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tycedeano
Ditto for me! I use FedEx exclusively, whenever possible!
Well, it recently happened to me with FedEx. First delivery attempt notice was marked "Third Attempt".

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #183 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 03:08 PM

UPS admitted to me that they did indeed re-package the cards because they decimated the original box. I've been sending packages out every day for the last 3 years (selling my collections on e-bay) and use mostly USPS. Much easier to collect claims. Receive UPS almost daily with minimum problems......only when I ship out. Can you imagine how many parcels they ship on a daily basis? Acid reflux..........
post #184 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps it's different when a company uses UPS, as I've seen no problems to speak of. Are you shipping UPS at a place like Mail Boxes Etc?
post #185 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Perhaps it's different when a company uses UPS, as I've seen no problems to speak of. Are you shipping UPS at a place like Mail Boxes Etc?
That's a whole other rant. I almost used MailBoxes Etc. once when I was in a hurry and didn't want to drive to the UPS depot, but they quoted me over $120 for 3 (largish) packages, 2 ground and one 2-day. The packages were already prepared, all they had to do was take my money and hand them to the UPS driver when he arrived.

I took them to the UPS depot and paid about $45 for all 3, 2 of them 2-day. One of the worst rackets I've run up against to date. If I ever want to feel like that, I'll visit a proctologist and pay a professional instead.
post #186 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scochran666
That's a whole other rant. I almost used MailBoxes Etc. once when I was in a hurry and didn't want to drive to the UPS depot, but they quoted me over $120 for 3 (largish) packages, 2 ground and one 2-day. The packages were already prepared, all they had to do was take my money and hand them to the UPS driver when he arrived.

I took them to the UPS depot and paid about $45 for all 3, 2 of them 2-day. One of the worst rackets I've run up against to date. If I ever want to feel like that, I'll visit a proctologist and pay a professional instead.
MailBoxes is now owned by UPS and has been renamed "The UPS Store." I *think* they lowered their rates. I'm not sure if they took it all the way down to UPS depot rates, but they might have.

But yes, MBE was quite a racket.

-Brian
post #187 of 230 Old 12-26-2002, 06:49 PM

FWIW the MailBoxes Ect franchise is now owned by UPS but each MBE is individually owned and operated so they can charge whatever they like. A few of the MBE's that were MBE corporate owned stores were converted "The UPS Stores" which charge UPS published rates.
post #188 of 230 Old 12-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, I never tried one of those 3rd-party shipping stores either. Why, well, there's a local UPS depot center (the humongous building w/ a gazillion brown trucks in parking lot) less than 5 minutes away from home...

Anyways, to close my own rant, I'd guess one's experience can differ based on how competent the *local* UPS people are?

And it's true, aside from attempted delivery run-arounds and pick-up delays, I haven't had lost packages when receiving, but now I'm somewhat wary when I have to send. I'd use the UPS center near work more often, but they're 20 mins away by car...
post #189 of 230 Old 12-27-2002, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Still no Richard, eh? I guess we scared him off.:(

~Markito
post #190 of 230 Old 12-28-2002, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

of course, how much of this thread is actually people asking a concise question to Richard and how much of it is other stuff?
post #191 of 230 Old 12-29-2002, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

True, it has kind of become a "UPS sucks" thread. Let's bring it back to "Richard" stuff.:)

~Markito
post #192 of 230 Old 12-29-2002, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

At this point if Richard comes back he should start a new thread, IMHO.
post #193 of 230 Old 12-29-2002, 01:09 PM

It only devolved after Richard had been absent for a week or so. I'm sure that when he returns, everyone will be more than happy to start asking "on point" questions once again.
post #194 of 230 Old 12-29-2002, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Replayer
Still no Richard, eh? I guess we scared him off.:(
i believe he's caught up in one of those strange west coast customs.

i think they call 'em "Christmas Vacations", or something like that.

;)
jmoak types this post from work, where he's been every day since 12/23!!
post #195 of 230 Old 12-29-2002, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Replayer
True, it has kind of become a "UPS sucks" thread. Let's bring it back to "Richard" stuff.:)
Sounds good and long as everyone promises to never forget that UPS sucks.

--Fox
post #196 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 09:22 AM

Richard,

I own a Showstopper and recently purchased a RTV5040 for Christmas that I plan to return.

Comparing the 2 units, I was hoping for enough change to justify the $500 unit+subs fee. Here are my quick observations and maybe you can have some of these addressed in future releases:

1. The component video output was marginally better than my SVideo. Both cables are Monster Z300's into my Mitsubishi 1080i big screen.
2. The channel changing was too slow. I'm not talking about surfing (anyone that would do that is insane...imho), I mean just the time from hitting select in the channel guide until it displays.
3. Fan is too loud. Sounded like an old PC running in my family room.
post #197 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 AM

Ugh...I hit return by accident...

4. Used to be if I was watching live tv, I could select a recorded show, hit stop then the channel up and and return to live tv. Now, you display a menu that allows me to continue with the recorded show, delete it or go to the replay guide. The only way I could do what I initially described was to delete the show and that's not always something you want to do.
5. The new remote does NOT have a TV input button and you removed the SAT and DVD buttons. Would be nice to at least put the TV input back. And, what's up with the small play and stop buttons? They're hard to hit with my fred flinstone fingers. :)
6. Minor thing but having the light that shows the unit has recorded a program for you was a nice quick visual way to see w/o having to turn on your tv and replay unit.
7. I love the new options you get if you try to schedule 2 shows at the same time!

If I didn't already have a showstopper, I'd keep the 5040 in a second but, for now, think I'll watch for improvements and give you a try in the future.

Jeff
post #198 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vosian
7. I love the new options you get if you try to schedule 2 shows at the same time!
Just make sure you know exactly what happens (and doesn't happen) when you choose an option...

Basically, if both the old recording and new recording are recurring (e.g., Friends and Survivor), if you choose to have the new recording "win" the conflict, it will only temporarily "win". The Replay will remove the upcoming scheduled recordings for the old show for as far out as you have guide data. But as new data arrives, the old show will most likely wind up "winning" the conflict based on the old conflict rules.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #199 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Vice City? We'll never see him again.
Looks like this came true...

Cheers

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #200 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 12:37 PM

I am stuck with two RCA DRD430RG sattelite boxes. I just moved to a new house last june and had the DirecTV installed, all new stuff.

So I get the Replay 5040 unit a couple days ago. Have been wanting either this ir a Tivo, and after much consideration decided the network features of ReplayTV are too much to pass up.

Anyway I cannot control the RCA boxes with the serial input. It just says "missing signal" if I try and change channels. If I use the RCA box remotes the picture comes through just fine so it isn't some cable issue.

Also I have not found any code that will get the IR blaster to work either.

Has anyone had success with these boxes and if so what code did you use?

Also if there ISN'T any code that works with the IR stuff and my RCA's, WHAT are my choices as far as using this ReplayTV?

Do I have to buy OLD sat receivers just so I can use my NEW 5040?

Please respond if you can help. I have called the ReplayTV customer support lines and ALWAYS get the "too much call volume" message.

BTW that is just plain horrible for professional customer service! Nothing pisses off a customer more than having a problem and not being able to get any help from customer service.

I guess if there is no solution the Replay goes back. It will be another of the many open box buys at Best Buy already.
post #201 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Tivo has the same problem with this new receiver?
post #202 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, apparently Tivos work just fine with this receiver, at least with a serial connection (which is the preferred type of way of changing channels anyway, right?)...
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...light=DRD430RG

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #203 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, have you tried a serial connection?
post #204 of 230 Old 12-30-2002, 08:04 PM

I have. Works fine.

Francesco

Francesco
I like to watch
post #205 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 03:04 AM

I am the proud owner of a new 5 series ReplayTV and I can think of three things SB could do, that I know are not too hard to implement.

First is a zone for your favorite sport team. I would like to have my ReplayTV record all of a particular college's team games, or perhaps have it record all 49ers games. As of now, I know you can select a zone to record all NFL related shows, but I'd much rather have something that could just record games that certain teams are playing in.

Second (and this is related to the first) is being able to create theme channels by using OR, AND, and NOT keywords. That way I could search for all descriptions containing "Raiders AND at" which would record all home and away games. You could also use it as "Simpsons NOT repeat" to make sure to only catch new episodes of the simpsons.

Third is multiple tuners. I know this isn't a software upgrade that can be done, but something to think about for the future. This way you could record two shows at once, or watch another show live while one is recording.

Anyway, I'm interested if SB has thought about any of these.
post #206 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The first one can be done clumsily; you can create a theme that looks for 49ers in the title and description, then you'll only get games and shows related to that team.

The second is something people have been asking for for a while, and has been hinted at by SB that it or something better than that will be on its way eventually.

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

Knowing is half the battle.
post #207 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vosian
Ugh...I hit return by accident...

4. Used to be if I was watching live tv, I could select a recorded show, hit stop then the channel up and and return to live tv. Now, you display a menu that allows me to continue with the recorded show, delete it or go to the replay guide. The only way I could do what I initially described was to delete the show and that's not always something you want to do.
5. The new remote does NOT have a TV input button and you removed the SAT and DVD buttons. Would be nice to at least put the TV input back. And, what's up with the small play and stop buttons? They're hard to hit with my fred flinstone fingers. :)
6. Minor thing but having the light that shows the unit has recorded a program for you was a nice quick visual way to see w/o having to turn on your tv and replay unit.

If I didn't already have a showstopper, I'd keep the 5040 in a second but, for now, think I'll watch for improvements and give you a try in the future.

Jeff
I have had no problems with my new 5080 other than an occasionally freezing of the nightly update. The fan and total operation is tremendously MORE quite than my old 3030, in fact, I do not know when it spins up, starts recording, or other functions. As far as the remote is concerned, I just purchased a 30.00 Radio Shack 2116 remote and I now have all of the functions like TV input etc and actually like the remote better than any I have ever known. Point is, a few inconveniences but I see no reason to send it back. I think its a top notch machine.
post #208 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
wow! I can't believe i just wasted an hour reading this thread!
After Richard went on Christmas vacation, all I got was complaints about
UPS and rants about Guide data for large sat. dishes.

I really hope Richard closes this thread and starts a new one when he returns, to save other poor fools from such a waste of time also.
LOL
:)

Happy new Year guys!

AnthonyNYC
post #209 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyNYC
wow! I can't believe i just wasted an hour reading this thread!
Slow reader? :) (Just kidding, Anthony!)

Happy New Year!

-Gary

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
post #210 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyNYC
I really hope Richard closes this thread and starts a new one when he returns, to save other poor fools from such a waste of time also.
Hell, I just hope Richard returns.;)

~Markito
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page