Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #211 of 230 Old 12-31-2002, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Closing a thread does not delete it. So how would it save other poor fools from wasting their time by reading it?

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 01-01-2003, 02:14 PM

Just Kidding............

But do we need to send a "CARD" to SonicRichard?

"Hoping you feel better soon"

Happy New Year :)
post #213 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Okay, have you tried a serial connection?
Yes that is the first thing I tried. It uses the adapter to the phone line size plug labeled "low speed data."

But as I already stated, it DOESN'T work right. In fact, it doesn't work at all.

I can't believe that ReplayTV wouldn't have taken care of this problem by now. I have looked around at what the places are selling in the store currently and this IS the model receiver they sell, or the next one up with the Dolby Digital.

ReplayTV must not be too intrerested in gaining marketshare after all.
post #214 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

pRey, if you can get all of your channels directly via DirecTV, have you considered getting a UTV or DirecTivo?

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #215 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
pRey, if you can get all of your channels directly via DirecTV, have you considered getting a UTV or DirecTivo?
Well, I really wanted to use the network features that Tivo doesn't have, like being able to update off broadband and send/receive shows.

It is looking like I either have to buy OLD receivers to use the NEW replayTV, or get a Tivo which doesn't support all the features I wanted.

I think I am going to take it back and get neither since they both don't get it right IMHO.

I need a DirecReplayTV unit!!! Where is it?!
post #216 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Yes but Tivo doesn't support broadband updates or sending/receiving programs over the net.

It doesn't have the features I want.

UTV is just too expensive for my taste.
post #217 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The Series1 DirecTivos can be made to work via broadband, but in case you weren't aware of it, guide data (for DirecTivos and UTVs) come only via satellite. The phone dial-in requirement was simply to verify the Tivo service, but with the latest update just rolled out (3.2) they've switched the authentication to be part of the access card authentication, which happens via satellite. I haven't had my 2 DirecTivos hooked up in over 30 days now (the old time limit), and they work fine. One annoyance that will hopefully be addresses in the next software update - it still "reminds" you (via an on-screen message) that you haven't dialed in recently... 2-3 times a day. Theoretically even software updates can be done via satellite, but I haven't heard if the next version will be done that way or not.

Sending/receiving programs over the net... yep, you're right - only Replays can do that, and until they win their lawsuits they'll continue to be the only ones that can do that.

I did see a UTV in my local Best Buy before Christmas... I think it was $199 (not sure if that was open box or not).

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #218 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 05:14 PM

Well if I bought one it would be series 2. I would prefer to have a seperate unit rather than integrated. I don't want to have to buy ANY new receiver. I mean I just got these 6 months ago...they aren't broken or something.

Also don't like this...

"but with the latest update just rolled out (3.2) they've switched the authentication to be part of the access card authentication"

No thanks....EBay here I come ....

Other thing is I already paid for lifetime subscription. I tried and tried to get through to ReplayTV's customer service but as many have found out, their call volume is ALWAYS too high to take my call.

I absolutely can't stand crappy customer service. What a joke.

So I doubt I will ever get my 250.00 back if I return it....(sigh).

Thx for reply's though... :)
post #219 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 05:17 PM

Check out the Hughes Directv sat receiver, Model GCEBO. Avoid the GCEBOA model which is not a serial connection.
post #220 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iaen Sullivan
Check out the Hughes Directv sat receiver, Model GCEBO. Avoid the GCEBOA model which is not a serial connection.
Ok, this one is fully compatible then??

Oh and BTW, would there be any hassle getting DirecTV to switch my subscription to that new receiver?
post #221 of 230 Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No hassle at all just call DTV when your ready.

IRD=Integrated Receiving Device aka Receiver :) sorry about that

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #222 of 230 Old 01-04-2003, 10:30 AM

Richard, Hello from a new and very frustrated RTV user. I bought a 5040 and 5080 about a week ago. After many hours of *^%$ I got both up and running on my network behind a SonicWall firewall. Now they connect to the RTV service fine, respond to pings. I know they can "see" each other, because each can access the other's replay guide, and I can see shows recorded on one on the other (more on this later).

The problem is that I can't get them to recognize on another through the internet serial number, so I can't send shows from one to the other. Can you help??

Also, can you tell us why no one can get through to customer service. For the last 7 days, all one gets is a message that there is "a heavy volume of calls" and to try again later. What gives? Some are speculating that SB is going out of business. True?
post #223 of 230 Old 01-04-2003, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Um, did you forward the internet ports in your firewall you have each replay set to listen on to the correct machines?

To do show sending from one machine to another requires you to go outside your network to the WAN and then back in through your firewall to the LAN.

If you mean you're simply tryin g to watch one show from one replay on the other, are they not showing up in the upper right corner of your replay guide? Can you not switch from one to the other with a hit of the quickskip button in the replay guide?

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #224 of 230 Old 01-06-2003, 05:30 AM

I guess we will see if he comes back from holiday vacation today...
post #225 of 230 Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

blah blah blah
post #226 of 230 Old 01-08-2003, 01:36 PM

I feel like we've deified him. Think about it. We asked him all these questions that only he could answer like "Why do bad things happen to good replays?" He offered us salvation through software updates: "believe in me and you will get something even better than a to-do list". And now we await second coming of SonicRichard? And it's right around Cristmas time? Coincidence? I think not.

j/k

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
post #227 of 230 Old 01-08-2003, 03:22 PM

gbeardad, also,
Some routers don't support what you're trying to do. Obviously, what's needed is a local copy feature.

When you try to send a show from one local machine to another local machine, the replaytv tries to establish a connection with the other replaytv by first going outside of the router. Some routers see that as some sort of attack.

So, if what you're saying is that other people can send shows to either replaytv, then it sounds like your router doesn't allow you to do what you're trying to do with IVS.

Lyndon
post #228 of 230 Old 01-09-2003, 11:34 AM

Mr. Moderator,
Since SonicRichard didn't really say too much, other than what he'd like to do and that some nifty things were coming Q1 03, and doesn't seem to be coming back, why not just dump the thread and if he in fact does return to the forum start a new thread?

SB seems to be a classic case of great technology being marketed on the thinnest of shoestrings. Now shifting to marketing a service (the RPTV service) enabled by some hardware they apparently are selling below cost, following the lead of DirecTV et al (I paid $700 for my first dual-LNB DTV dish, just replaced by a triple LNB system for which I forked over exactly $50).

The $250 upfront works out to a month more than 2 years at the monthly rate; any beancounter would then assume the SB planned lifetime for a 5xxx (or SonicBlue) is two years or so. Either new functionality, new hardware, or new owner will make the current units functionally obsolete by then; they may still work, but the ReplayTV service will be either radically different or gone. They can't continue selling hardware below cost unless lots of people sign up for the monthly deal, and if Tivo thinks they're losing share due to feature gap they can surely build essentially the same box in almost no time. If SonicBlue continues to ignore customer support their rep will spread and ... bye bye. Though I'd really like to have 2 units, I think charging the same amount twice (instead of a small second-unit fee) within one household is greedy, and with nearly no after sale support I can't send any more money their way. Too bad it's working out this way, you can bet some inept management is behind this scene and will probably bring the company down, if Hollywood doesn't first.

RF
post #229 of 230 Old 02-07-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well, I guess he's been back but not a single response in this thread. Do we have to ask the numerous unanswered questions in this thread again? Or do we assume he saw them and just didn't respond?

I don't come in here all the time so guidance from those that do would be appreciated.

I dealt enough with this kind of haphazardness with Tivo questions and it isn't worth my time to even type the questions if that is what to expect here as well. I realize he was sick, had CES, etc, but it is possible with this type of forum to start where we left off . . .

Matt
post #230 of 230 Old 02-12-2003, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Another waste of time. I guess Tivo thinks the same way--lifetime subscriptions don't get you even basic updates to functionality (or fixes) after a certain period of time. Tricky way to promote monthly fees instead of lifetime, I guess.

Matt
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page