AVS Forum banner

Guide stops on 7/15

18K views 251 replies 60 participants last post by  The Robman 
#1 ·
Both my 55xx's did successful net connects this afternoon, so there should be 11 days of guide data. But their guides both stop at 7:30pm on 7/15.

Anyone know if there's a problem at the mothership?

#94 ·
I think the new TIVO can do all those things. The roamio basic box can do antenna or cable/satellite. The upgraded boxes do not do OTA. Not sure about savings to computer though. HTPC is another option. Plenty of info on AVS about both.

If I left I'd probably to the TIVO route - one main box with 6 tuners and two mini boxes. Missed out on their recent refurb sale but they may still have lifetime on sale for $350. Hate going with TIVO as I returned my last TIVO in 2003 when I went all in and bought 3 replayTV's - 2 of which are still running today (with upgraded HDD naturally).

I've seen my local cable box DVR and know I won't stand for that. Plus the fees for 3 rooms would be nuts.

HTPC is an option and I already do that for movies, etc. over my network. Tried WMC through an Xbox extender and it did not meet the WAF.

#96 ·
Hey MadPirate,
I'm using NPVR, which is a Windoze based system and has quite a good support network of users. Most of the old Replay features are included in it but it isn't quite as easy to use as the Replay. My Replay system still is the primary DVR system in the house and the NPVR system records and displays HD content.

Using the Hauppauge video card, you have a full remote control, just like the Replay.

YMMV.

Scott

#97 ·
Taking the risk of being a dummy AND not visiting Planet Replay first, I need a little direction with Wirns. It's not all that bad but here goes... Wirns 3 is installed with a Schedules Direct 7 day free sub. The one RTV connected is recognized with the router's IP for gateway address and the same IP for both DNS entries and the Guide info was updated into Wirns but the RTV won't download channel listings. The channels are there, though. I've done several net connects but all go through the process and fail at the end for listings. My best guess now is I entered the incorrect provider info into Wirns at the first setup screens and can't find how to change it. The only option (in Wirns menu) is the one I entered to start. This is like passing out 100 yards from the end of a marathon race. Any pointers are appreciated.

#101 ·
I would try PlanetReplay for any further WiRNS questions, but I'll try to get you over this hump.

1) Make sure Schedule Direct is setup for your provider.
2) Configuration > WiRNS: In WiRNS, make sure you have put in your login and password for Schedule Direct on the configuration screen
3) Now have WiRNS download a Guide: Administration > Update Guide. Check the log to make sure you are getting shows.
4) Configuration > Replays: For each ReplayTV, Edit it and make sure you have selected the Lineup from Schedule Direct.
5) Now use either WiRNS to force NetConnect or use 243 Zones from the Replay to.
6) If you still don't get a shows, make sure that the Replay has selected the Lineup on the Replay to be something that start with "WIRNS:"
7) Also make sure that the ReplayTV has the DNS set to the IP Address of the WiRNS windows machine.

Also check out: http://wirns.com/
And click on the Setup/Installation there are screen shots for most of this.

Rob

Rob

#98 ·
Been out of the loop since I got a bridge router for my 5040, and found this guide problem; looks like the guide is downloading but nothing comes of it. Channels work, HD will record if Live is paused, network sees the 5040, so the system is ok, mothership has sprung a leak. Will call tomorrow FWIW. :unamused:

#100 ·
Geobrick, I also use Windows Media Center as my primary recording device.. it works great (I have commercial skip set up). The biggest problem is with the cable companies... you mentioned that cablecard only protects "premium" content. That's not always the case. My local (Time Warner) sets the flag on everything... even CSPAN! (who states that it's ok to copy things).

A FCC complaint got a BS reply from TW.

So cablecard and WIndows Media Center really depends on the local cable company.

Oh, M$ has said no Media Center for Windows 10, so no telling how long we'll have guide data. :(

#121 ·
Geobrick, I also use Windows Media Center as my primary recording device.. it works great (I have commercial skip set up). The biggest problem is with the cable companies... you mentioned that cablecard only protects "premium" content. That's not always the case. My local (Time Warner) sets the flag on everything... even CSPAN! (who states that it's ok to copy things).

A FCC complaint got a BS reply from TW.

So cablecard and WIndows Media Center really depends on the local cable company.

Oh, M$ has said no Media Center for Windows 10, so no telling how long we'll have guide data. :(
I got lucky with Verizon Fios. Their flag settings are pretty reasonable. HBO is flagged but none of the over the air or basic cable channels I typically record are flagged. I"ve read Verizon isn't consistent across the country. In some areas they flag more channels than others.

I was going to bring up Windows 10 dropping WMC but figured Windows 7 and 8 will still be supported for several years.

Still no guide data so I may go back to WiRNS and Schedules Direct if it's still a problem by Monday. I've already got WiRNS running on one of my machines.

#109 ·
WiRNS gets it done.

Thanks to the Forum. All four 50XX machines are setup to WiRNS. Using VNC server from my mac to access the WiRNS. WiRNS runs on HP-MINI Win 7 Home. Thanks to the VNC boffins.

#111 ·
Thanks to the Forum. All four 50XX machines are setup to WiRNS. Using VNC server from my mac to access the WiRNS. WiRNS runs on HP-MINI Win 7 Home. Thanks to the VNC boffins.
You shouldn't need to use VNC for WiRNS access, since it acts as a web server. I've been using WiRNS all the time for 4 years, almost always accessing it from another PC. I just use a web browser (usually Firefox, but it works with others too), Entering the local IP of the machine running WiRNS.

#117 ·
So, no real 'simple' solution? Replay is broken, and they haven't fixed it yet??

so I was out of the country for the last month. Came back. 3 Replays with the Guide Abyss.:(

Of course, I came to the forum.
Lots of yammer
no solution (well, actually, a LOT of solutions, but running Mac laptops at home. No WiRNS. No desire to pay for what was supposed to be 'for life' (LaHo), etc....so for same function for same price for same effort...no solution)

Read 4 pages of comments... Short version is, some time around the 4th, Replay lost its ability to push out guides, right?
Guides timed out on the 15th
Corey and/or Tee have been tripping over themselves to say they 'are aware' and/or 'are working on it', but net effect: we're still dead in the water.

Does that sum it up?

If you want to get a guide, you need to start running new HW to pipe data to your Replay(s) (WiRNS, etc.) and/or start to pay for it from a different service and/or dump what has been a tried and true (but not unproblematic at times but on the whole pretty rock solid) solution for a 'me too' (Tivo) solution and start all over again, right?

I want to keep using my Replays.
I don't wish to try and find a way to make my Mac-tops (Mac laptop) do this
I have no interest in paying for something I paid a lump sum for years ago so that it would be free (since that's just a breach of contract I have no desire to support)

So I'm once again looking to our Forum wunderkind to see if we have something that works given the caveats above, or do we all begin 'thinking about Corey' until he gets the mental impulse (re: Scanners movie) to take action?

Just trying to tie together 4 pages of conversation to see if there might actually BE an actual solution...

Thx for being smarter than me ;)

David.

#118 ·
I don't wish to try and find a way to make my Mac-tops (Mac laptop) do this
Well, push come to shove, it's really not too very tough to run a Windows application on a Mac, so that not be such an unreasonable solution. I think that there are already several people doing this. And, I'm only saying this as being your best choice if you don't want to go any other path.

#125 ·
I just decided to call them again to see if they were back open (and get an update). I got the same recording that I got over the weekend (that they are aware and working on it), and then the line disconnected. Has anyone had any luck reaching the guys since those first successful attempts when the problem was first discovered?

Thanks,
Susan

#127 ·
DNNA filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy today

According to ReplayTV.com DNNA filed for chapter 7 (liquidation) bankruptcy today, 7/20/2015. It's possible that another company could buy the technology and crank up the service again, but it seems unlikely since it doesn't generate any revenue. Personally, I would be willing to pay a few bucks a month to have the service. In the mean time, I guess try to figure out how to use WiRNS.

#128 ·
According to ReplayTV.com DNNA filed for chapter 7 (liquidation) bankruptcy today, 7/20/2015. It's possible that another company could buy the technology and crank up the service again, but it seems unlikely since it doesn't generate any revenue. Personally, I would be willing to pay a few bucks a month to have the service. In the mean time, I guess try to figure out how to use WiRNS.
Wow... so that's that... lifetime has ended! Luckily we have WiRNS and LaHo.

Reactions: ClearToLand
#135 ·
I have not been on this forum for a long time. I got the message too after I called for the hell of it.
I am not surprised DNNA is filing chapter 7. I am not sure who is responsible for repaying ReplayTV users all those 300.00 lifetime subscriptions. Could it be DirectTV?
I have lots of lifetime activations in my name I acquired as a reseller but what I am most concerned about is getting this one ReplayTV connected to either Wirns or LaHo.
Anyway I am more of a hardware guy, definitely not a network guy.
I just want to say I have been following this thread with great interest everyday. Some great stuff on this thread. Hopefully I will figure it out. Thank you all..

#136 · (Edited)
I am not sure who is responsible for repaying ReplayTV users all those 300.00 lifetime subscriptions. Could it be DirectTV?
IANAL, but since DNNA was providing the guide, my guess they are legally obligated to continue it. Except they filed Chapter 7 (liquidation). So now you're just another creditor. Get in line, and good luck.

I'm sure you're capable of setting up WiRNS (if you have a Windows machine around and up most of the time). LaHo is even easier to set up... many folks have done it without a problem and instructions have been tweaked with input from those who had trouble.

So far I've heard of one person not able to use LaHo. (ISP DNS hijacking)

#141 ·
Had to call and listen to the message. Just another step in the ReplayTV mythology. So much for waiting to see if the free guide comes back. I wonder if DNNA planned for this when they tried to shut the guide down almost exactly 4 years ago. Their lawyers probably told them that 4 years would be enough time for a bankruptcy judge to absolve them of any claim that lifetime memberships would have. So they sucked it up for 4 years and paid for some answering service and maintenance staff as it would be cheaper than some class action claims. Now they are essentially doing what they intended to do 4 years ago.

#142 ·
So if I understand the guide alternatives correctly, we have two options for guide service: LAHO or DIY Wirns/Schedule Direct. I have 3 replays that I keep online.

LAHO would be $45 for six months for three units ($25 for one plus $12 for each additional unit). If they keep this 6 month special, I am looking at $90 for year of service for 3 units.

Wirns is free but Schedules Direct costs $25 for one year. I have to keep a windows PC running to serve the guide. Since I don't know how to control when RTV units connect to the server for guide updates, I suppose I will have to either keep the PC running at night or just manually update the guides as often as I prefer when the PC is running. There does not appear to be additional cost to support 3 units as opposed to just one with Wirns/SD

So for one year of guide service, it is either $90 for LAHO or $25 for Wirns/SD (plus some effort on my part). Am I missing anything?

By the way, my intent is not to criticize any of the prices charged. It's nice to have options - I just want to be sure I understand what they are.

#143 ·
So if I understand the guide alternatives correctly, we have two options for guide service: LAHO or DIY Wirns/Schedule Direct.
WiRNS alone is the second alternative. Where you get guide data for WiRNS is completely independent, but Schedules Direct is an easy way to go. There is an entire thread on PlanetReplay about using alternative guide data: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14347, and another thread on a free service: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14314. So, I just don't want you to be confused that you have to use SD and are locked into that pricing. SD is the service that was incorporated into WiRNS due to a history of it using that style guide data starting with Zap2It Labs a long time ago. But, it isn't your only choice, there are other alternatives.

#144 ·
Sad to hear of the bankruptcy.

I know some members of this forum, the ones who set up LaHo and SD, have worked with the Replay technical folks before to get authorization codes, etc. Could we put pressure on them to release the source code for the Replays now? If they go bankrupt, they may as well make it open source for us. Then we could finally answer some of those nagging questions: Why do most hard drives choke the 5000 series units? Why are some channels toxic and crash the machine when you try to remove them?

#147 ·
Not a chance in Hades, not even possible until the bankruptcy is finalized and the "assets" liquidated and distributed a long time from now. Likely only the lawyers will get paid and were likely & largely paid in advance. I used to work for a large business software development Co (CA, Inc.) and in the commercial customer contracts (banks, etc) were provisions that upon a final adjudication of bankruptcy, source code would be released. I doubt this is going to apply here!

#146 ·
Asking this question on this thread too since it has a larger audience:

Has anyone allowed a unit to connect to DNNA since they announced chapter 7 and changed their phone message and website? I decided to yank my boxes off the internet last night just in case (they decided to send something weird our way). I am curious if there is now an announcement, channel listings have been wiped (which I believe happened one time before), anything else happened, or nothing happened.

Thanks.

#150 ·
I tried it on my 2020 less than an hour ago. Cleared channel guide twice and then did a net connect. It behaved as usual for the last few days (mostly fast, then slowed down when it got to Zone 10/16). I did get my lineup back (no shows, of course).

Reactions: CopRock
#157 ·
Good Run

I’ve had ReplayTVs since they first came out. They are, sadly, another case of superior technology with inferior business acumen. To replace my beloved ReplayTVs, I picked up a T*** and a T*** M*** with “lifetime” service for $550. I suspect/hope they will last as long as the ReplayTVs. Well that is until 4k TV is the norm.

#160 · (Edited)
WiRNS on Mac OS X

For anyone who has Macs and no PCs, during the shutdown scare in 2011 I had WiRNS running on my iMac in a WinXP virtual machine using Parallels Desktop. Worked flawlessly. I set up the networking in the WinXP virtual machine to use a different IP address than the host iMac. Set up WiRNS to access my Schedules Direct account. Pointed the ReplayTV DNS addresses at the WinXP IP address and changed the zip code per the WiRNS installation/setup instructions. Worked fine. Presumably you could run Windows and WiRNS on a Linux box using whatever virtualization software is available (xen or vmware are two that come to mind, although I've not used either of them).

This time around I resurrected an old dust-gathering dual-boot Linux/WinXP PC I had in my basement, and on which I'd previously installed WiRNS (again, during the last shutdown scare in 2011). This time around I just didn't want to install the latest version of Parallels Desktop on my Yosemite iMac and install WinXP with WiRNS in it since I already had a PC with WiRNS on it. Instead, the "headless" WinXP PC running WiRNS is now in my crawlspace, connected to my router with a 50' ethernet cable run to the PC through the heat vent below the router. Out of sight, out of mind. I also installed the realvnc VNC Server on it so I can remote access it in case I need to reboot it (or whatever) for some reason as it doesn't have a monitor connected to it; just a keyboard and mouse, which are really useless without an attached monitor. (The keyboard and mouse were used for a couple days when I first powered up the PC in my office and had it connected to a monitor so I could make sure everything was working, including updating WiRNS to the latest version. I left them connected when I moved it into the crawlspace just because I wasn't certain the PC would boot without a keyboard and mouse attached. It does boot without a monitor attached.) Accessing the WiRNS web interface in Safari is all that is needed to manage WiRNS on the PC from a Mac (or any other computer).

#162 ·
For anyone who has Macs and no PCs, during the shutdown scare in 2011 I had WiRNS running on my iMac in a WinXP virtual machine using Parallels Desktop. Worked flawlessly. I set up the networking in the WinXP virtual machine to use a different IP address than the host iMac. Set up WiRNS to access my Schedules Direct account. Pointed the ReplayTV DNS addresses at the WinXP IP address and changed the zip code per the WiRNS installation/setup instructions. Worked fine. Presumably you could run Windows and WiRNS on a Linux box using whatever virtualization software is available (xen or vmware are two that come to mind, although I've not used either of them).

This time around I resurrected an old dust-gathering dual-boot Linux/WinXP PC I had in my basement, and on which I'd previously installed WiRNS (again, during the last shutdown scare in 2011). This time around I just didn't want to install the latest version of Parallels Desktop on my Yosemite iMac and install WinXP with WiRNS in it since I already had a PC with WiRNS on it. Instead, the "headless" WinXP PC running WiRNS is now in my crawlspace, connected to my router with a 50' ethernet cable run to the PC through the heat vent below the router. Out of sight, out of mind. I also installed the realvnc VNC Server on it so I can remote access it in case I need to reboot it (or whatever) for some reason as it doesn't have a monitor connected to it; just a keyboard and mouse, which are really useless without an attached monitor. (The keyboard and mouse were used for a couple days when I first powered up the PC in my office and had it connected to a monitor so I could make sure everything was working, including updating WiRNS to the latest version. I left them connected when I moved it into the crawlspace just because I wasn't certain the PC would boot without a keyboard and mouse attached. It does boot without a monitor attached.) Accessing the WiRNS web interface in Safari is all that is needed to manage WiRNS on the PC from a Mac (or any other computer).
For about 4 years, I've run WiRNS in a virtual machine. Not on Mac, but on Linux. One advantage of the VM is that full backup is easy. The entire Windows disk is a single file on the host system.

The first host computer died (although the HD was still readable), so it was easy to transfer the whole VM to another computer.

#165 ·
Showstopper serial port conversion possible?

I have a couple of Showstopper 2xxx dvrs and I was wondering if it was feasible to use the serial port on the back to plug in a serial to ethernet RJ45 cable to allow me to set up WIRNS. Anybody out there have any ideas? Otherwise, I guess my dial-up Showstoppers will be used as doorstops.

#171 ·
I have a couple of Showstopper 2xxx dvrs and I was wondering if it was feasible to use the serial port on the back to plug in a serial to ethernet RJ45 cable to allow me to set up WIRNS. Anybody out there have any ideas? Otherwise, I guess my dial-up Showstoppers will be used as doorstops.

If you have the RTV patch with clock setting feature you can still do manual recordings [one time only/ repeat recordings don't work for some reason] ...
Sucks not having the guide data, but this has been in the works since 2011 and as a showstopper & 30xx user I feel your pain; I used mine more to record news and other minutiae that I didn't want on the cable box or as a channel changer to record stuff on a Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder and another unit is in a guest room connected to an OTA digital2analog box that has its own timer capability so IR blaster wasn't needed.

Oh well, it was nice a decade and a half ago... but eventually I'll just place these units in storage

In the living room on my TiVo once in a while i press the number 3 and the skip button hoping it would do what my Replay did. :(

#166 ·
Serial to Ethernet RJ45 cable? Not sure how one of those would work.. terminal service built in to a serial cable? Never seen one.

Doesn't really matter, I don't think the serial port can be used to feed guide data... at least not easily.

#169 ·
A DE9 (as in serial port) to modular plug serial cable came with the Replay. I used that in 2000 to control a DirecTV receiver. It carried channel change commands from the Replay to a DirecTV receiver.

I seem to remember something about converting an old Replay to use serial instead of modem, but it requires internal alterations and you'd still have to figure out what to do with the serial data (that's meant for a modem).

#175 ·
Just realized that eventually even the ability to choose another cable service provider if the whole mothership totally implodes... and of course for most with decades old units a power outage would leave you at ground zero if the clock capacitor is trashed... maybe should throw in a second provider in the second A/v input or even the coax antenna input, wow this really sucks

Wish those who made the clock patch had included repeat recordings and a way to name what could now be a Replay Guide now full of one time Manual Records for those few who really have this as their only DVR.

:frown::eeksurprise::frown::eeksurprise::frown: :frown::frown::frown:

#180 ·
How difficult would be to remove and install an entirely new OS in any replay??
I know of no such things, but i guess it would have to be on the motherboard and it looks like getting a look at the source code i keep reading about here ain't gonna happen.
I have an old RCA 7500N DVR in storage which is more open to use; you can name recordings, scheduled recordings and when TV gUide was around thats how the channel guide was populated

Oh well, lifetime has a new meaning now: Lifetime of the Company [not the equipment!]... actually I should take that back, in my storage i saw an Archos TV+ and those who bought Channel Guides for life were shafted too. :mad:

#181 ·
Formatting the hard drive on a ReplayTV is quite easy. You will need a working computer with an IDE (old flat gray ribbon cable) controller. One method is to use ReplayTV_Patch software that was created by the community. There are instructions on AVSForum or PlanetReplay.com. If you need help, let me know.

#184 ·
This may or may not be the correct place to inquire about this. I have no idea about how to fix this issue but have kept up with the issues from several years ago and now recently with the blank guide. I see all the options for the next step but I am not savy enough to do any of them. Who lives in the DFW area that can do this line of work or would be willing to come to Keller to get my units running again? The rest of the house uses dvr from the cable company but I use replay on my TV because I have always found it easy to use, program and like the commercial skip.
thanks for any help you can provide.

#190 ·
Kadro, the easy low tech option is to purchase the channel guide through Laho. I would not deal with SchedulesDirect using WIRNS since you would need to use a separate PC server for this. Just create an account on the Perc data website, change one thing on your ReplayTV in Network and Input settings and start enjoying your ReplayTV again. It is really simple. I you get stuck, someone on here can help you out. The ReplayTV community has been so helpful over the years. You are not alone.

http://www.percdata.com/faq/replaytv

#185 ·
In June 2002 I bought my 4508 with lifetime subscription, along with the RioRiot (which I returned), directly from SonicBlue.

I upgraded to a 200GB drive in August 2004.

The last major issue it had with it was in 2011 and the only consistent issue is that when scrolling through the channel guide and you get to channel 180, the replay reboots. I used to have that channel hidden but something happened in 2011 and I couldn't re-hide that channel anymore.

It seems that our choices for the guide is LaHo, SD, and WiRNS.

We've been talking about upgrading to hd for a while now but a big mental hurdle is whether the replay will record high definition. Right now, the 4508 doesn't have hdmi and is connected with red white yellow rca cable to an old standard definition comcast box. If we upgrade to a hd comcast box, and we get a rca to hdmi adapter, will the replay record in HD?

If it can't record in HD, should I just throw in the towel and get the comcast hd dvr, which will cost an extra twenty bucks a month?

Thanks! :confused:

#186 · (Edited)
It seems that our choices for the guide is LaHo, SD, and WiRNS.
If it can't record in HD, should I just throw in the towel and get the comcast hd dvr, which will cost an extra twenty bucks a month?
The ReplayTV cannot record in HD. My U-Verse DVR can, but I still record most shows there using SD to save recording space. The picture is fine and who needs to see Jon Stewart in HD? If you're comfortable with you're ReplayTV, no reason not to continue using it.

BTW, the two choices are LaHo and WiRNS/SD (although you can get guide data from sources other than Schedules Direct, it's the easiest option). WiRNS is just a ReplayTV server... it doesn't have a data source and Schedules Direct doesn't provide a ReplayTV service just raw data.

#187 ·
Life after bankruptcy

So I too have setup Wirns and signed up for Schedules Direct and it take no time at all to setup. Just follow the simple directions online.
If you have any series 5000 or 5500 units this seems to be the simples solution to keep them running for the rest of their lifetime.
$25 a year for all my replays is not bad.

But here is the question, once on Wirns does the replay units need to talk to the replaytv servers any more for any reason.

I guess I have to make sure that they are all activated. But if I change providers (Cable/Satellite/Etc.) does the unit need to talk to replaytv servers or can it get all its info from Wirns.

The question other then activation is there any other reason a replay unit needs to talk to a replay server other then activation.

#188 ·
So I too have setup Wirns and signed up for Schedules Direct and it take no time at all to setup. Just follow the simple directions online.
If you have any series 5000 or 5500 units this seems to be the simples solution to keep them running for the rest of their lifetime.
$25 a year for all my replays is not bad.

But here is the question, once on Wirns does the replay units need to talk to the replaytv servers any more for any reason.

I guess I have to make sure that they are all activated. But if I change providers (Cable/Satellite/Etc.) does the unit need to talk to replaytv servers or can it get all its info from Wirns.

The question other then activation is there any other reason a replay unit needs to talk to a replay server other then activation.
You can verify with Henry over on PlanetReplay, but as far as I know if you have WiRNS 3.0 setup, it will proxy all the functions of the ReplayTV servers. Just have the DNS setting on each Replay to point to your WiRNS servers's IP.

If you have a RTV not connected right now, you may have to make sure that it doesn't have the ethernet cord connected when it boots up, and it will eventually boot into the Manual setup for the network. That is when you would put in the DNS settings to point to WiRNS. That is when you would plug in the ethernet cord, and at that point, WiRNS should be able to proxy all the connects that the RTV would expect.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.