AVS Forum banner

Guide stops on 7/15

18K views 251 replies 60 participants last post by  The Robman 
#1 ·
Both my 55xx's did successful net connects this afternoon, so there should be 11 days of guide data. But their guides both stop at 7:30pm on 7/15.

Anyone know if there's a problem at the mothership?

#2 ·
Looks like a data load problem over the holiday weekend. I expect it to be back to normal soon.

#8 ·
Same here in the L.A. area after a connection update. The guide goes up to 5 pm PDT on 7/15. Possibly the same weekend bug that used to not charge monthly for monthly subscription fees and cause service interruptions.

Reactions: cajon
#9 ·
The problem isn't happening with WiRNS 3. Now (July 8 3PM Central) I get through July 20 7PM.

#12 ·
I was on hold for 43 minutes to finally have someone by the name of Tee say that they were answering service and took my information. I asked him if he knew of any problems, he said no and there were not a lot of calls coming in for Replay Showstopper problems. I then asked why did I have to wait 43 minutes just to leave my name, e-mail, and phone # ? He did not have an answer !He said someone from Replay would call me back. It may be time for everyone to call them and leave a message.

#16 ·
Just talked to someone at the Replay #. He said that they are just realizing how widespread this problem is and that they have started to work on it. He hopes for it to be resolved. I would recommend giving it a day or so, and then calling the phone number again for a status update. (I didn't have too long of a wait for the phone to be answered).

#17 ·
Never did hear from replay yesterday so called again this morning and spoke with Michael at answering service. I left my contact info again and told him I had not received a callback yesterday. About an hour and 15 minutes later I received a call from Corey at Replay. He said they were aware of the problem and are working on it. I said to him that I wanted to make sure Replay was not trying to pull a fast one and discontinue the guide service as they tried to do in 2011. He assured me that that was not happening and that there was just a technical issue. I hope this gets resolved before the guide runs out.

#18 ·
forced updates on 3 units today via ethernet and they all got messages after the update cycle that there were problems transferring data from ReplayTV. One got the message within 5 seconds of starting the update. The others got the message after the normal 1-2 minute update cycle. Rebooted all 3 units and no change to update results. The other day when I ran updates I did not get that message (but I didn't get guide updates either). Guide still remains only thru 7/15.

#21 · (Edited)
I tried to setup Wirns again. Wirns looks to be downloading a guide (completes with no errors on update) but I cannot get any replay to get the guide from it. The replay will grudgingly take the change to manual settings (takes longer than a minute) but fails to ever download from the Wirns server. It times out while trying to contact it. Now that the mothership is not giving any updates my main replay has no guide at all and other than previously recorded shows, it's pretty much a brick. Until early this morning I could at least get the 7-15 guide back on it.

Errors that I now get:

The provider you have selected is no longer available, please choose another (that is paraphrased, I don't remember the exact message).
or
Unexpected result code: 851e0001
or
Unexpected result code: 844c0002

I spoke with Corey at Replay and he said they are working on the problem. He was really tripping all over his words telling me repeatedly that they were looking into it. I don't know if he just isn't very good at communication or if he is frustrated with not being able to give an ETA or any other information.

I had a hard time getting Wirns setup last time when they were going to cancel the guide but after I discovered that it was NOD32 Antivirus that was the problem I removed it and everything worked but this time I have tried about everything I can think of and I can't get it. It's on a netbook that is only being used for Wirns. No antivirus, firewall disabled, replays detected by Wirns.

Is there a way to reset the replay configuration data without deleting all of my recorded stuff?

#24 ·
I tried to setup Wirns again. Wirns looks to be downloading a guide (completes with no errors on update) but I cannot get any replay to get the guide from it. The replay will grudgingly take the change to manual settings (takes longer than a minute) but fails to ever download from the Wirns server. It times out while trying to contact it. Now that the mothership is not giving any updates my main replay has no guide at all and other than previously recorded shows, it's pretty much a brick. Until early this morning I could at least get the 7-15 guide back on it.

Errors that I now get:

The provider you have selected is no longer available, please choose another (that is paraphrased, I don't remember the exact message).
or
Unexpected result code: 851e0001
or
Unexpected result code: 844c0002

I spoke with Corey at Replay and he said they are working on the problem. He was really tripping all over his words telling me repeatedly that they were looking into it. I don't know if he just isn't very good at communication or if he is frustrated with not being able to give an ETA or any other information.

I had a hard time getting Wirns setup last time when they were going to cancel the guide but after I discovered that it was NOD32 Antivirus that was the problem I removed it and everything worked but this time I have tried about everything I can think of and I can't get it. It's on a netbook that is only being used for Wirns. No antivirus, firewall disabled, replays detected by Wirns.
It sounds like possibly you didn't change the ReplayTV to a different ZIP code that you've never used before. You should try reading the simplified setup guide on PlanetReplay: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15928. And, I would also recommend that you use the WiRNS forum there for continued discussion.

Is there a way to reset the replay configuration data without deleting all of my recorded stuff?
You can use 2-4-3-Zones to Clear Channel Guide.

#25 ·
I tried multiple zip codes and I have cleared the guide several times. It does see wirns but gets to "Setting Clock" before it stops. I think something may be corrupt. I bought this unit used and I believe it gave me a hard time when putting my zip code in when I got it several years ago. I'll have to mess with it when I get more time.

I wonder if Corey is the only support person for replays since it seems like anyone that calls speaks to him? I would imagine that most of the paying subscribers have bailed and the majority of guide downloaders are free users now. Just from the small number of posts about this makes me think they will probably not put a lot of effort in to resolving it.

#26 ·
I tried multiple zip codes and I have cleared the guide several times. It does see wirns but gets to "Setting Clock" before it stops. I think something may be corrupt. I bought this unit used and I believe it gave me a hard time when putting my zip code in when I got it several years ago. I'll have to mess with it when I get more time.
If the ReplayTV is stopping at "Setting Clock", it typically means that WiRNS does not have access to your network. That is, that either Windows Firewall is preventing WiRNS from serving your network, or that you have something else installed which is preventing WiRNS from serving your network. The easiest thing to do to test if WiRNS is serving your network is to run nslookup on another computer and set the server for it to use as the WiRNS server and see if you can lookup any ReplayTV names. There's also a way to test if WiRNS is serving the time to the network if you search for it. And, you should also watch the WiRNS log while the ReplayTV is net connecting to see if it shows any activity or not.

You probably would have a lot better luck having these kinds of discussions on Planet Replay which has a dedicated WiRNS forum.

#28 ·
*sigh*

Not what I was hoping to find when I noticed the problem and came here looking for news on what was happening. Guess I need to refresh myself on setting up Wirns and using Schedules Direct -- just in case...

:(

#32 ·
No. You may be referring to LaHo, which was / is the alternate service that was set up to provide guide data to ReplayTV's.

You need WiRNS to:
1. Set the unit's clock.
2. "Activate" it.
3. Provide it guide data.

You can attempt to gather the guide data from elsewhere (instead of SechedulesDirect), but you will still need some type of server to serve it...

I'll wait until the shoe drops on Tuesday to make my move. No need to worry about it right now....

#31 · (Edited)
Installed WiRNS, seemed to go fine. Running the service monitor option says the service is running, but I don't see an icon in the systray. Launching the configure WiRNS fails. Looks like I actually had this installed in 2011. I figured that had to be on the previous PC, but I guess not. I wonder if I just screwed myself by re-installing? *sigh* This is going to take more effort than I hoped.

#42 ·
I'm worried about the guide expiring especially since no one has updated the issue from here or Replay. So is a Schedule Direct account still needed to use with WiRNS 3 for guide access? It's been awhile since I had WiRNS running ... Can any PC on the LAN control a household Replay over the network?

#44 ·
WiRNS needs a source of guide data if you want a guide on your Replay. For the US, Schedules Direct is the easiest.

If you just want to set the clock and activate it, no guide data is needed. (manual recording)

#46 ·
I called Replay again this morning and left a message with Tee again. He said they were not getting a lot of calls about the guide not updating. I received a callback this afternoon from Corey again and he said they were still working on the problem. I asked why was it taking so long and he did not have an answer. I think everyone should call them tomorrow and flood their "answering service" with complaints! Their number is 254-299-2705
I don't know what the problem is but they have had plenty of time to fix this. They are "closed" for the day but if you can please call them tomorrow.
Thanks

#48 · (Edited)
... He said they were not getting a lot of calls about the guide not updating. ...
I think everyone should call them tomorrow and flood their "answering service" with complaints! Their number is 254-299-2705
Thanks
I called last week and somebody said they "knew about it." I'll call again tomorrow. I really don't want to have install Windows on some machine ... forever ... just to run Wirns.

[ I called today and got "Cory." He was polite, but had no additional information and no ETA on a fix. ]

Thanks.

#49 ·
I think it's par for the course at this point not having network troubles fixed within a week, but understandable now that TV is past middle age. At best, this issue is bothersome to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.