DNNA/ReplayTV declare bankrupcy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
DNNA/ReplayTV declare bankrupcy

rrobinson was first with the scoop!
From Replaytv.com
Quote:
Digital Networks North America, Inc. filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy relief with the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on July 20, 2015 and has ceased all business operations. A chapter 7 trustee will be appointed by the Bankruptcy Court to oversee the administration and liquidation of the bankruptcy estate for Digital Networks North America, Inc. Creditors will receive a notice of the bankruptcy filing by mail.
The community is ready. WiRNS and LaHo can keep your ReplayTV working.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I wonder how much it would cost for you RTV wizards to buy ReplayTV (or anything you can get, like code)?

Meanwhile, because I will be switching to LaHo, can you describe any differences I will experience between DNNA and LaHo (if any)?

Thanks.

Last edited by sbwinter2; 07-20-2015 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 50 Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post
So I wonder how much it would cost for you RTV wizards to buy ReplayTV (or anything you can get, like code)?
All of the necessary components for the ReplayTV Community to continue without the Mothership were acquired / put in place back in 2011.

Quote:
...Meanwhile, because I will be switching to LaHo, can you describe any differences I will experience between DNNA and LaHo (if any)?
Start here: PlanetReplay LaHo Forum

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...

post #4 of 50 Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks. I am already familiar with what happened a few years ago since I was all over the boards at that time (and other times prior). I know that some of the code was released in 2011, but I thought it was still incomplete since DNNA was still in existence. And now there are other assets available too.

I have also read through much of the LaHo forum, but it doesn't really answer my question about user experience. I want to know what specific differences I will experience when using LaHo instead of DNNA. I will post this question there tomorrow.

Thanks,

Last edited by sbwinter2; 07-20-2015 at 10:31 PM.
post #5 of 50 Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As a quazy business person (PERC/LaHo), I would have considered throwing them some money *before* they shut down for the replaytv.net domain. Not a lot, but some.

At this point, most ReplayTV users will probably just unplug their units after they watch all their shows and not know about the alternatives. By the time liquidation comes, it would be too late.

---
post #6 of 50 Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM

Has anyone allowed a unit to connect to DNNA since they announced chapter 7 and changed their phone message and website? I decided to yank my boxes off the internet last night just in case (they decided to send something weird our way). I am curious if there is now an announcement, channel listings have been wiped (which I believe happened one time before), anything else happened, or nothing happened.
post #7 of 50 Old 07-21-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
But when are they going to fix the double select bug?

Seriously though, what does this mean for IVS? Will it still work?

And secondly, I have a back up unit that I just realized has been reset to factory default settings without activation. Will WiRNS activate it? If not, can I swap out the hard drive with one that has been activated?
post #8 of 50 Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
But when are they going to fix the double select bug?
Second quarter
dstoffa, rlichtefeld and adam1991 like this.

---
post #9 of 50 Old 07-21-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
At this point, most ReplayTV users will probably just unplug their units after they watch all their shows and not know about the alternatives. By the time liquidation comes, it would be too late.
Hopefully most will do some web searching... But it is definitely time to start combing Craig's List and ebay for cheap spares....

Hope nobody buys those $300 units on ebay with a lifetime sub....
post #10 of 50 Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Seriously though, what does this mean for IVS? Will it still work?
There have been backup servers in place for years! So, IVS is still running just fine!

Quote:
And secondly, I have a back up unit that I just realized has been reset to factory default settings without activation. Will WiRNS activate it? If not, can I swap out the hard drive with one that has been activated?
WiRNS3 with the MyReplayZones add on will take care of everything!
rlichtefeld likes this.
post #11 of 50 Old 07-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Has anyone allowed a unit to connect to DNNA since they announced chapter 7 and changed their phone message and website? I decided to yank my boxes off the internet last night just in case (they decided to send something weird our way). I am curious if there is now an announcement, channel listings have been wiped (which I believe happened one time before), anything else happened, or nothing happened.
I connected one unit earlier today and it acted the same as it has for the past two weeks or so. Runs through all the steps. No difference in use afterwards. Channels still there. Of course, no guide data.
post #12 of 50 Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish View Post
I connected one unit earlier today and it acted the same as it has for the past two weeks or so. Runs through all the steps. No difference in use afterwards. Channels still there. Of course, no guide data.
I think the Replay server's guide data source was cut off on the first of the month. The server had enough then for two weeks.

As to the lineups, they are stored but probably NOT being updated. They'll be getting increasingly erroreous.
post #13 of 50 Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just received a letter from the bankruptcy court indicating that I may be a creditor of DNNA.
It says not to file a claim at this time as there does not appear to be any assets.
g501, Sonyad and SD_Shadow like this.
post #14 of 50 Old 07-26-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I doubt I will get a notice. I am at my second address since getting my replays and registering in 2002/2003 and don't think I ever updated Replay with my info when I moved. Oh well, I guess you guys will get my share of $0. Seriously, for those who get notices, please keep us all posted as it will at least be interesting.
post #15 of 50 Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish View Post
I doubt I will get a notice. I am at my second address since getting my replays and registering in 2002/2003 and don't think I ever updated Replay with my info when I moved. Oh well, I guess you guys will get my share of $0. Seriously, for those who get notices, please keep us all posted as it will at least be interesting.
I got my letter today.

Rob
SD_Shadow likes this.

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
post #16 of 50 Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post
I got my letter today.

Rob
Rob,
Can you scan your letter so those of us who did not receive one can see what it says. Thanks.
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #17 of 50 Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri4jenn View Post
Rob,
Can you scan your letter so those of us who did not receive one can see what it says. Thanks.
I will be home at the end of the week. If I received one, I'll redact it and post a copy for the record...
post #18 of 50 Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Rob,
See the attachments.

There was also a cover sheet with my mailing address and the return address that was used to work with a "windowed" envelope. Nothing else.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI07282015_00001.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	855594   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI07282015_00000.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	855602  

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.

Last edited by rlichtefeld; 07-28-2015 at 09:05 AM.
post #19 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone figure out how to download those images? It says thumbnails and is too small to read.

---
post #20 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 41
Lightbulb

Quote:
...It says thumbnails and is too small to read.
Right-click and open in a new tab; read or print.
SD_Shadow likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #21 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

perfect.. thanks!

---
post #22 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM

Anyone going to the bankruptcy hearing on August 25 at 11:00am in Wilmington, DE. I might do it just for kicks.
post #23 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If I was close I would go... if nothing else to see what I could get for LaHo... but it's not worth a trip. I emailed the attorney, but haven't heard back.
SD_Shadow likes this.

---
post #24 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
If I was close I would go... if nothing else to see what I could get for LaHo... but it's not worth a trip. I emailed the attorney, but haven't heard back.
What would be worth getting for LaHo?

Suppose the mothership were for sale? My guess is that the mothership was outsourced and is still churning away in some data center. Would it be part of any liquidation or would the data center hold it for payments past due. Could we pin point it's location based upon the mothership's IP address?

Would the IP address the Replay's connect to be worth anything? Then LaHo would act just like the mothership. I'm sure it is more complicated than that but that would be ideal.
post #25 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM

I really hope someone can go whether to speak for the rest of us, if that is possible; acquire assets, if that is possible; and just tell the rest of us, who didn't get letter or can't travel there, what happened.
post #26 of 50 Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Suppose the mothership were for sale? My guess is that the mothership was outsourced and is still churning away in some data center. Would it be part of any liquidation or would the data center hold it for payments past due. Could we pin point it's location based upon the mothership's IP address?
It is highly unlikely that the "mothership" is outsourced and simply running in some data center. ReplayTV's whole business revolved around the EPG, and it is a very special server system. The company has been bought and sold several times, with DNNA being the final company to own complete rights to the EPG system. I would suspect that the "mothership" is still completely within either the original location where Sonic Blue last had it (which was NOT Waco), and DNNA took over that office space when they bought out Sonic Blue, or DNNA moved into their own office spaces. But, the software is so specialized that it seems highly unlikely that they would just outsource that in any way...

Quote:
Would the IP address the Replay's connect to be worth anything? Then LaHo would act just like the mothership. I'm sure it is more complicated than that but that would be ideal.
The Replays don't operate by IP address, they operate by name, just like most things do (just like you browsing to avsforum). So, getting access to the domain name would be the most worthwhile thing. But, domain names tend to have a lot of value, so knowing that it is worth something would only tend to drive up the price...

Henry
post #27 of 50 Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 AM

Liked: 0
I emailed the attorney with the following message:
There are a bunch of ReplayTV enthusiasts on the AVS Forum who are wondering if it would be possible to purchase the ReplayTV servers with code intact. The goal would be to continue the service in rudimentary form as a team effort. Could you let me know if that would be possible? Is there a list of assets for sale?
His reply was:
Thanks, but you need to contact the trustee, George Miller, of Miller Coffee and Tate. My assistant Fred Sassler will provide contact info.
I haven't received the contact info, yet. But the website for Miller Coffey Tate LLP is http://www.mctllp.com/ and it has a Contact Us form on the home page. Other contact info here:
Miller Coffey Tate LLP
8 Penn Center, Suite 950
1628 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 561-0950
Fax: (215) 561-0330

For information regarding George Miller in his capacity as Chapter 7 trustee, please click here.
Would someone more senior on this forum, say one of the LaHo team, like to contact George Miller and let us know what he says?
post #28 of 50 Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delver View Post
For information regarding George Miller in his capacity as Chapter 7 trustee, please click here.
Here is the website that will list the assets for liquidation. DNNA is not listed here yet but you can click on some of the other cases he's handling to understand the format.
http://www.mctllp.com/trustee.html
post #29 of 50 Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post
So, getting access to the domain name would be the most worthwhile thing. But, domain names tend to have a lot of value, so knowing that it is worth something would only tend to drive up the price...
Henry
Are we talking about the http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/ domain name?

Last edited by bri4jenn; 07-31-2015 at 05:16 AM.
post #30 of 50 Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Are we talking about the http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/ domain name?
No, that is DNNA's domain name, not what the ReplayTV uses. Robert, reden, already posted the domain name that we'd like to get. It's the same one that has been used since the very first ReplayTV was put into production...

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page