Rediscovering ReplayTV due to the DNNA shut down - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see. So, did you figure out some way of controlling the converter box from the Replay, or are you (shudder) tuning them manually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnoland View Post
I see. So, did you figure out some way of controlling the converter box from the Replay, or are you (shudder) tuning them manually?
Yeah, Henry (hdonzis) helped me with that back in 2012. If you are still using Replay and either using LaHo or WiRNS, you can add the codes for that box. Let me know if you need details.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #33 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wink Even With DNNA Gone, Our ReplayTVs Live On...

Quote:
...I have two 5040's and a Showstopper but with all the source signals available being digital they've been pretty much fancy door stops...
With CECBs for OTA and STBs for Cable, RTVs have never become doorstops. It just depends on how much effort you're willing to invest in order to change the channels on the CECB / STB, record the programs via the Line Inputs, and, since July 2015, get the Guide Data.

Although this topic has been discussed re: STBs for years, the CECB discussion peaked during the July 2011 'Warning Shot'. All the info can be found in the ReplayTV FAQ right here. Now, as to finding a CECB box, you're pretty limited. But, there are plenty of STBs available and in use by other RTV diehards.

Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...

post #34 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
Yeah, Henry (hdonzis) helped me with that back in 2012. If you are still using Replay and either using LaHo or WiRNS, you can add the codes for that box. Let me know if you need details.
I appreciate the offer, but while I am rather curious, I think my ReplayTV days are done. I switched over to MythTV years ago and it has so much more to offer than ReplayTV I never really looked back. I did continue to use my units so long as I still had analog cable but mainly I just used them as a backup for shows I really wanted to make sure I didn't miss (such as serial dramas) because the one place ReplayTV had a major edge over MythTV was in reliability (of course, part of the reliability aspect was probably due to the analog signal). I don't think the "insurance" aspect is worth all the futzing around it would take to get everything going again. Truth is, some time back, while hooking up some equipment, apparently, I knocked loose the video cable from one of my units so I could no longer play anything on it -- I never even bothered to troubleshoot the problem.

They were great in their day -- the best of breed. While I might wish that MythTV was as reliable and easy to use as ReplayTV always was -- the many things which it not only does right but does with flair still puts it miles ahead, at least for me. I have friends I wish I could recommend it to, but their lack of technical prowess pretty well means that they would quickly give up in frustration due to all the futzing around that system takes, but I'm up to the challenge so it works for me.

- Les
post #35 of 54 Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was suspicious that my 5xxx RTV was keeping such good time, and now it has actually made the switch to CST. No LaHo or WIRNS, tries to connect to the RTV server each night, & used as a VCR; how is it possible that the time & date are maintained?
post #36 of 54 Old 11-03-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
When DST is applied is part of the timezone string, so your unit should follow DST without any network connection.

Have you ever connected to LaHo? Maybe your hostname was updated and your unit is having the clock set via LaHo goodwill. (if it's not, I recommend it)

I think Henry changed it so goodwill connections get ReplayTV standard hostnames, but there may have been a short period of time where that wasn't happening.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #37 of 54 Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the explanation; guess it's just good luck that the clock is keeping time. I appreciate the suggestion to use LaHo if it starts drifting.
post #38 of 54 Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from using either LaHo or WiRNS?

Later, Rob

post #39 of 54 Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 PM

Haven't done LaHo or WIRNS partly due to inertia, partly that the RTV as VCR is cutting it while the clock is ok, partly that we're watching very few cable shows these days, and mostly that 99% of our viewing is recorded OTA in HD via EyeTV, or viewed online with a streaming box.
post #40 of 54 Old 11-04-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I used mine as a VCR during the summer as we were just recording the news, but I knew I'd have to get it taken care of before shows started coming back for the fall. LaHo is the easy option as there's so little to do, but I went with the WiRNS/SD option because it's so much cheaper and I knew I could make it work and I'm so glad that I did because now I'm having fun downloading movies to my WiRNS PC, then stripping out the commercials and streaming them back with DVArchive.

Later, Rob

post #41 of 54 Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I used mine as a VCR during the summer as we were just recording the news, but I knew I'd have to get it taken care of before shows started coming back for the fall. LaHo is the easy option as there's so little to do, but I went with the WiRNS/SD option because it's so much cheaper and I knew I could make it work and I'm so glad that I did because now I'm having fun downloading movies to my WiRNS PC, then stripping out the commercials and streaming them back with DVArchive.
I started using WiRNS all the time in 2011, and found that I really like being more in control of the Replays. Also, I get much more recorded stuff that I want now that I have global (across multiple Replays) scheduling. This feature of WiRNS is called "JIT".

BTW, this (multi-replay) scheduling is one of the features I've wished for starting in about 2000. The 4xxx and 5xxx units could have done it without additional hardware, but for some reason ReplayTV never added that feature. It's one of the good things in WiRNS.
post #42 of 54 Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I hadn't heard of Kodi before but will have to check it out:
http://kodi.tv/about/

Do you know if you can use it to watch programs that you've downloaded from ReplayTV using WiRNS or DVArchive?
I expect that you *have* heard of Kodi... though probably by its previous name: XBMC.

You can definitely watch downloaded ReplayTV videos via Kodi (nee XBMC), and there even used to be the ability to directly stream from ReplayTVs to XBMC. Unfortunately, the direct streaming feature has been broken for a while -- though I haven't given it a try in over a year.

(The direct-from-ReplayTV streaming feature still works in the XBMC4Xbox version I'm running on a gaggle of orig Xboxes at our house, though the ReplayTV IPs must be listed rather than auto-discovered. However, you can add them all as a single "source" within XBMC, allowing you to scroll the content of all your networked ReplayTVs via a single list.) See: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk
post #43 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
So, if there is anyone else that is still sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to cart your old RTV5040 units off to the thrift store or to take the plunge, take the plunge, I can help.
I may take you up on the offer, Robman. I'm not on the Replay fence, been using 'em for ages, but I *have* been on the fence in terms of fully committing to WiRNS. I've gradually upped my WiRNS usage from strictly uploading new IR codes to managing my guide data, but I'm yet to leverage it for IVS (or the JIT recording mentioned my Mark).

I've had some issues with IVSmagic, lately, and figure I need to understand how to use WiRNS for IVS, as a backup. I'll post back, here or as a new thread, if I run into any roadblocks.
post #44 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was planning on reading up on IVS Magic and using it but then I discovered that WiRNS can already do all that. I think when IVSm came out it couldn't, but then the WiRNS developers added more functionality.

So here's where I'm at now with regards to WiRNS and IVS. While I can still request shows be sent directly to one of my Replay units, most of the time I have people send them directly to my WiRNS pc, and I can send shows from my Replays (including the Received folder) or from the WiRNS pc all using WiRNS. And just FYI, when the show being sent using IVS is coming from a WiRNS pc and going to a WiRNS pc, the transfer speed is amazing, it only gets slow when there's a real Replay involved. Which is not surprising if you think about it because everything in my network is gigabit (10/100/1000) but the NICs in the Replays are still 10/100 speed.

Later, Rob

post #45 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I was planning on reading up on IVS Magic and using it but then I discovered that WiRNS can already do all that. I think when IVSm came out it couldn't, but then the WiRNS developers added more functionality.

So here's where I'm at now with regards to WiRNS and IVS. While I can still request shows be sent directly to one of my Replay units, most of the time I have people send them directly to my WiRNS pc, and I can send shows from my Replays (including the Received folder) or from the WiRNS pc all using WiRNS. And just FYI, when the show being sent using IVS is coming from a WiRNS pc and going to a WiRNS pc, the transfer speed is amazing, it only gets slow when there's a real Replay involved. Which is not surprising if you think about it because everything in my network is gigabit (10/100/1000) but the NICs in the Replays are still 10/100 speed.
Sounds like WiRNS can replicate everything I'm currently doing with IVSmagic; will have to look into it.

I definitely started using IVSmagic before WIRNS had the functionality, but I've stuck with IVSmagic because of the simple, dedicated interface, and because I'd been a fan of the 'poopstat' Konfabulator widget for displaying my IVS transfer status on my Windows desktop. At least one option that I believe WiRNS provides that IVSmagic doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, is automatic show sends.
post #46 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WiRNS has an email option that I haven't set up yet, but I believe it's just for that purpose (ie, auto sends).

Later, Rob

post #47 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
I may take you up on the offer, Robman. I'm not on the Replay fence, been using 'em for ages, but I *have* been on the fence in terms of fully committing to WiRNS. I've gradually upped my WiRNS usage from strictly uploading new IR codes to managing my guide data, but I'm yet to leverage it for IVS (or the JIT recording mentioned my Mark).

I've had some issues with IVSmagic, lately, and figure I need to understand how to use WiRNS for IVS, as a backup. I'll post back, here or as a new thread, if I run into any roadblocks.
I have a lot of shows automatically recorded (more so this month since I record Christmas stuff). I find it (JIT) really increases the efficiency (how many of the available shows get recorded) with multiple shows and multiple Replays.

One little problem is that multipart shows get spread over multiple Replays, but then WiRNS makes it easy to find all the parts (Tools > Replay Guide).

The first time I used JIT, I was confused by the 'EDIT' button (for each show), which appears to no nothing. It does work, but only changes the top of the page which is hidden if you're not near the top of the list.

BTW, to get as much Christmas stuff as possible, I have 3 JIT channels, which record stuff with "Christmas", "Merry", and "Santa" in the title. With 7 Replays, this can record as many as 7 shows at once (although I have only 2 cable boxes, so the others are limited to analog cable).
post #48 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
So, Rob -- what exactly do you record with your ReplayTV? I have two 5040's and a Showstopper but with all the source signals available being digital they've been pretty much fancy door stops. What are you doing with yours?
I'm not Rob, but we're using Channel Master CM-7000 converters (pre-repaired by Whitebar) to feed OTA antenna signals to our Replays, using custom IR codes and WiRNS to ensure that we can tune the digital sub-channels. Previously, we had also been using Comcast DTAs (also with the assistance of custom IR codes).

The S-Video output and that the CM-7000 can display in anamorphic widescreen (fills every pixel, rather than leaving black bars) are major pluses. The customization and central management of our channel list afforded by WiRNS and SchedulesDirect is also a nice bonus.

CM-7000 on eBay

NOTE: Hearing of a tendency for these units to fail, I shipped my CM-7000's to whitebar for pre-failure repair. I think he did 6, or so, of them for me.

Last edited by krkaufman; 12-22-2015 at 11:35 PM.
post #49 of 54 Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
WiRNS has an email option that I haven't set up yet, but I believe it's just for that purpose (ie, auto sends).
Yes, I believe that's correct.
post #50 of 54 Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
I find it (JIT) really increases the efficiency (how many of the available shows get recorded) with multiple shows and multiple Replays.
I regret not getting to know it while I still had a bank of ReplayTVs active.
post #51 of 54 Old 12-23-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
I'm not Rob, but we're using Channel Master CM-7000 converters (pre-repaired by Whitebar) to feed OTA antenna signals to our Replays, using custom IR codes and WiRNS to ensure that we can tune the digital sub-channels. Previously, we had also been using Comcast DTAs (also with the assistance of custom IR codes).

The S-Video output and that the CM-7000 can display in anamorphic widescreen (fills every pixel, rather than leaving black bars) are major pluses. The customization and central management of our channel list afforded by WiRNS and SchedulesDirect is also a nice bonus.

CM-7000 on eBay

NOTE: Hearing of a tendency for these units to fail, I shipped my CM-7000's to whitebar for pre-failure repair. I think he did 6, or so, of them for me.
They can be used to record in anamorphic widescreen? That is seriously cool. Now I'm half-tempted to try it out just to get my backup units back. Maybe somewhere down the road -- I'm currently in the process of dumping my cable so I have enough new changes and challenges to deal with for awhile. Thanks for the note.

- Les
post #52 of 54 Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
They can be used to record in anamorphic widescreen? That is seriously cool.
Yeah, you just tell the CM-7000 to display "Full" (set "Picture Shape" to "FULL" using its 'Wide' remote control button) and it'll fill every "pixel" of the screen*. It's great if your TV is widescreen, or you're pulling the shows off the Replays for archival. (The anamorphic recordings look distorted when displayed to a 4:3 TV by a ReplayTV, of course.)

One of the factors making me want to kick myself for not cutting the cord sooner.

Happy to be of help.

* edit: p.s. Where applicable, of course -- as some channels don't allow for aspect manipulation.

Last edited by krkaufman; 12-23-2015 at 08:39 AM.
post #53 of 54 Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I am using a Zenith Digital TV Tuner Converter Box DTT901, There are IR codes that work well. I have used this on two of my 5 replays to OTA HD signals. They only have composite out but quality looks OK
post #54 of 54 Old 01-16-2016, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
Digital tuner for ReplayTV

Quote:
I am using a Zenith Digital TV Tuner Converter Box DTT901, There are IR codes that work well. I have used this on two of my 5 replays to OTA HD signals. They only have composite out but quality looks OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page