Rediscovering ReplayTV due to the DNNA shut down - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cool Rediscovering ReplayTV due to the DNNA shut down

I've been using ReplayTV since December 1999 and totally love it, and even though I was involved in the hacking in the sense that I helped develop new IR codes that could be loaded, and of course, I have swapped all my hard drives for larger ones, I never took the time to get into WiRNS or even IVS.

I was very active on these forums too, back in those early days, but then like many of the regulars, I kinda drifted away as there wasn't much new to talk about in ReplayTV-land.

But now that DNNA has shut down, I was forced to either go with LaHo or use WiRNS with Schedules Direct, and I went down the latter path. So now I'm learning what WiRNS can do, and as I had to learn how to properly set up my router, I even got IVS working.

So, if there is anyone else that is still sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to cart your old RTV5040 units off to the thrift store or to take the plunge, take the plunge, I can help.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net

Last edited by The Robman; 10-06-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-22-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
LaHa!.. Funny. (LaHo == Last Hope)

Yea, we've been at this a long time... I still use Cinema 7s programmed with JP1.. nothing I've used comes close. I recently added a U-Verse cable box to the C7. The later work you guys have done on the JP1 tools are really impressive.. no more editing spreadsheets!

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #3 of 54 Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
I've been using ReplayTV since December 1999 and totally love it, and even though I was involved in the hacking in the sense that I helped develop new IR codes that could be loaded, and of course, I have swapped all my hard drives for larger ones, I never took the time to get into WiRNS or even IVS.

But now that DNNA has shut down, I was forced to either go with LaHa or use WiRNS with Schedules Direct, and I went down the latter path. So now I'm learning what WiRNS can do, and as I had to learn how to properly set up my router, I even got IVS working.

So, if there is anyone else that is still sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to cart your old RTV5040 units off to the thrift store or to take the plunge, take the plunge, I can help.
I started in 1999 too (with one of the first 2020). I didn't use WiRNS much until the summer of 2011. Now I wish I had started earlier, since it contains a feature I wished the Replays had for almost that long. It's multi-Replay scheduling for automatic recordings. The Replays themselves never had it, but that's unimportant now since WiRNS does. It's called JIT.

post #4 of 54 Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 640
have not seen a post on replay tv here in a long time and clicked on it out of curiosity. I am wondering if you are aware of the internet interface called XMBC or now called Kodi?
post #5 of 54 Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lol, sorry for the typo Robert, and you deserve a huge vote of thanks from all Replayers for keeping this all going, both with LaHo and SD.

I still use my trusty old Radio Shack 15-1994 myself, which is sort of a cousin to the Cinema 7 as they both have very similar functionality and are of a similar vintage. I have been out of the loop as far as remotes go for a couple of years, but had to jump back in there recently too as I added a Blu Ray player to the mix, and in doing so, I decided to give the extender a try. I had always avoided using it because I knew it would be a lot of work to set up, and I was right, it took me over a week to transpose all my programming into it, but it's working well and now I'm even delving into ToadTog, which I had also avoided.

The good news in the remote world is that you can now get the Nevo C2 remote, which has a color screen, for about $17 on ebay and it comes with a ready-to-go USB cable, that works with JP1!!!

Back to Replay, it took quite a bit of work to get WiRNS and everything else working, but I got the last piece of the puzzle working just yesterday (that being IVS). I have already renamed all my channels, changing the local call-ids to the national names (eg, changing WBBM to CBS, etc).

The next piece that I might try out is DVArchive.

Later, Rob

post #6 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I still use my trusty old Radio Shack 15-1994 myself
oh, man, I loved that remote. LOVED it. I could use it blindfolded.

I still have a couple of them in the drawer. I should get them back out and see if I can get them going.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a big fan of the One For All 6131 and 6131N since they were the only remotes that had controls for a DVR that were separate. I bought several over the years including extras (probably too many). And they can do JP1, although I never used that. I did use the advanced codes though. They still work great except that they cannot program all of the functionality for newer TVs since they can only do 4-digit codes. I do have a logitech harmony and many of my Comcast remotes (which are made by OFA) can do 5-digit codes, so they work too. THe arrangement of the buttons on the original 6131 is my favorite though.
post #8 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
oh, man, I loved that remote. LOVED it. I could use it blindfolded.

I still have a couple of them in the drawer. I should get them back out and see if I can get them going.
Do u have a JP1 cable? If so, you should give it a whirl, you can totally make this remote rock. But without JP1 it can't do much as the codebase is way too out of date (this remote is from around 1999). I do have a little stockpile of them myself, so if my current one goes bad, I can swap it out in seconds.

Later, Rob

post #9 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post
I am a big fan of the One For All 6131 and 6131N since they were the only remotes that had controls for a DVR that were separate. I bought several over the years including extras (probably too many). And they can do JP1, although I never used that. I did use the advanced codes though. They still work great except that they cannot program all of the functionality for newer TVs since they can only do 4-digit codes. I do have a logitech harmony and many of my Comcast remotes (which are made by OFA) can do 5-digit codes, so they work too. The arrangement of the buttons on the original 6131 is my favorite though.
I didn't like the 6131N that much, but I do like the original 6131 a lot. I used to modify them for JP1 and sell them (they need pins and an EEPROM chip soldered in). I must have done hundreds of them. I don't know what you mean about 4-digit vs. 5-digit codes though, sounds like someone gave you some misleading information there.

Later, Rob

post #10 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM

Hi Rob,

When you are programming in advanced codes, the codes are all 3 or 4 digits long, for example, if I want to add a RTV to that remote, the code is 0616. If I want to create a button that mimics the go to Live TV, that code is 091.

For my Plasma TV, while I can add a code for a panasonic TV to the 6131 (with 0650), it can't do many things, such as change the aspect/zoom view. On a newer Comcast remote though, the code to add the TV is 10650 (for most of these codes, there is just an additional 1 before the old 4-digit code). Because this remote can handle 5-digit codes, I CAN program the aspect with 09761. You can't even enter a 5-digit code on the 6131.

Now, there may have been things I could have done with JP1 (and some of the remotes I purchase even had the EEPROM already in place), but I never went that way since the advanced codes had everything I needed. I did have to consult with the JP1 board though to get the aspect code for my TV. They had a way to figure out how to translate some code into the five digits. That was so awesome since all of the codes I could find were all for older TVs.
post #11 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do u have a JP1 cable? If so, you should give it a whirl, you can totally make this remote rock. But without JP1 it can't do much as the codebase is way too out of date (this remote is from around 1999). I do have a little stockpile of them myself, so if my current one goes bad, I can swap it out in seconds.
All-Mac household here--so no go on programming JP1. When I went to WMC back in 2011, I gave in and went to Harmony 300.

Because one needs only a handful of keys to do anything anymore, I've found that to be acceptable.
post #12 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Rob,

When you are programming in advanced codes, the codes are all 3 or 4 digits long, for example, if I want to add a RTV to that remote, the code is 0616. If I want to create a button that mimics the go to Live TV, that code is 091.
Ah, different type of codes, the 0616 code is a "setup code" (ie, a code that you would use to program a device button), whereas the 091 is an "advanced code" (ie, a code that you would use to program an individual button).

Quote:
For my Plasma TV, while I can add a code for a panasonic TV to the 6131 (with 0650), it can't do many things, such as change the aspect/zoom view. On a newer Comcast remote though, the code to add the TV is 10650 (for most of these codes, there is just an additional 1 before the old 4-digit code). Because this remote can handle 5-digit codes, I CAN program the aspect with 09761. You can't even enter a 5-digit code on the 6131.
Ah, different concepts again. When you program a code like 0650, it's really TV/0650, so the device button needs to be in "TV mode" before you start. Of course, the TV button is in TV mode right out of the factory, but you can convert any of the device buttons to TV mode if you like. For your Comcast remote, they did away with that and added the device mode as an extra digit on the setup code. You will notice that ALL of the TV codes in the manual begin with 1, and the cable codes probably begin with 0, and the DVD codes with 2, etc (the numbers might be different, but you get the idea).

Where there is a difference between newer and older remotes is with advanced codes, the older remotes just use 3 digit codes and the newer ones use 5 digit codes. For many setup codes, where the old code is 091, the newer code will be 00091 (ie, just add 2 zeroes), but there are some setup codes that don't support advanced codes in the older remotes but do, using 5 digit codes, in the newer remotes, and TV/0650 is just such an example. The reason is, this setup code uses a "combo" protocol which combines multiple setup codes. The TV/0650 setup code combines two Panasonic device codes (those being 128.0, which is the old TV/0250 code, and 128.4 which doesn't have a stand alone setup code), so yeah, you wouldn't be able to get your TV fully programmed using the 6131 without JP1.

Quote:
Now, there may have been things I could have done with JP1 (and some of the remotes I purchase even had the EEPROM already in place), but I never went that way since the advanced codes had everything I needed. I did have to consult with the JP1 board though to get the aspect code for my TV. They had a way to figure out how to translate some code into the five digits. That was so awesome since all of the codes I could find were all for older TVs.
And just to show you how times have changed, you can now buy a fancy remote with a color screen that is programmable from the web and it comes with its own USB cable which you can use with JP1, for $16 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221668801447

Later, Rob

post #13 of 54 Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All-Mac household here--so no go on programming JP1. When I went to WMC back in 2011, I gave in and went to Harmony 300.

Because one needs only a handful of keys to do anything anymore, I've found that to be acceptable.
JP1 is Mac-compatible these days!

Later, Rob

post #14 of 54 Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
JP1 is Mac-compatible these days!
Do tell! I poked around last night and couldn't find anything in the few minutes I gave it.

I'd be happy to resurrect those 1994s.
post #15 of 54 Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do tell! I poked around last night and couldn't find anything in the few minutes I gave it.

I'd be happy to resurrect those 1994s.
The old software (ie. the IR.exe program and the KM spreadsheet) have been retired and replaced by a Java program called Remote Master (aka RM). The RM side of the program replaces KM and the RMIR side of the program replaces IR.exe.

Try downloading it and see if it works on your Mac:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cont...r/v2.03build1/

The only thing is, the JP1 (EEPROM) format that your 15-1994 uses is also kinda obsolete as all current JP1 remotes use the JP1.x (Flash) format and each type requires a different JP1 cable.

This FTDI cable (under $10 on ebay) works as a JP1.x (Flash) cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

And it can be converted for use with EEPROM remotes with this $10 adapter:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

Later, Rob

post #16 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The good news in the remote world is that you can now get the Nevo C2 remote, which has a color screen, for about $17 on ebay and it comes with a ready-to-go USB cable, that works with JP1!!!
Hi Rob, took your advice and ebay'd one.

Can you recommend a JP1 file that matches up reasonably well? The EZ website ones don't have commercial skip. The ones I've tried from searching the JP1 files seem to require an extender.

Thanks!
post #17 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I only just bought one of these myself so haven't really had a chance to play with it. It sounds like you went to the EZ site and pre-loaded all your gear first, which is what the experts recommend, so that's good. I did that too. Then you download the contents of your remote using RMIR (the JP1 program) and save it as a starting point.

As for adding Commercial Advance, I just opened the RMIR file for my Nevo and examined the Replay code. I see that in addition to missing CA (OBC 43), it's also missing Replay Zones (OBC 42), so all you need to do is, go to the Devices tab and select the ReplayTV device (I have two devices because I selected Unit code 1 and Unit code 2) and then click Edit. That will bring up the RM side of the RMIR application, then go to the Functions tab in RM and add the 2 missing functions, then go to Buttons tab or Layout tab and add them to the 2 unused soft buttons. Then save the file and re-load it.

Later, Rob

post #18 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I only just bought one of these myself so haven't really had a chance to play with it. It sounds like you went to the EZ site and pre-loaded all your gear first, which is what the experts recommend, so that's good. I did that too. Then you download the contents of your remote using RMIR (the JP1 program) and save it as a starting point.

As for adding Commercial Advance, I just opened the RMIR file for my Nevo and examined the Replay code. I see that in addition to missing CA (OBC 43), it's also missing Replay Zones (OBC 42), so all you need to do is, go to the Devices tab and select the ReplayTV device (I have two devices because I selected Unit code 1 and Unit code 2) and then click Edit. That will bring up the RM side of the RMIR application, then go to the Functions tab in RM and add the 2 missing functions, then go to Buttons tab or Layout tab and add them to the 2 unused soft buttons. Then save the file and re-load it.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and the codes. I had "learned" com skip but obviously this is much better.

Yes, I did do the wizard first and then jumped over to RMIR. The wizard helped me understand the new concepts of "activities", their "assists" and the activity groups.

I'm doing this mostly to help my mom shelve all her discrete remotes. But if it works out, I'll do the same for myself (have two more ebay nevo's on order).

The nevo seems to chew through batteries though. I've turned off tilt activation and cut the back-light timeout to 5 seconds.

I also have two RTV5k's. Now doing the "power toggle". Do the unit codes allows you to leave them both on? If so, do you reboot the rtv's and first control it with the appropriate unit code device profile?

Thanks again!
post #19 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Need more than the OBC's?

Quote:

Just tried and, and I see there are EFCS EFC and Hex fields. What do I need to put there?
Edit - Nevermind,

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...=EFCs_and_OBCs

Last edited by jonwz; 10-04-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: new info
post #20 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz View Post
I also have two RTV5k's. Now doing the "power toggle". Do the unit codes allows you to leave them both on? If so, do you reboot the rtv's and first control it with the appropriate unit code device profile?
I can answer this one. ReplayTV's always respond to the "master" IR code (Unit 0?). If the first IR code a ReplayTV sees after a power cycle has a Unit #, it also responds to that unit #.

So yes.. if you have Unit 1 / Unit 2 IR codes, after power cycle each one and have it see the correct Unit number on boot. Then you should be able to control them without the power toggle.

I used the Master off in a macro to shut off both units at the same time, and then Unit 1/2 for normal operation.

I think later ReplayTV's (4k, 5k) reboot themselves automatically from time to time (weekly?). You may need to relearn the IR codes from time to time.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #21 of 54 Old 10-04-2015, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah Robert, you're giving him Showstopper advice, the 5k units don't need to power toggle and "see" the new unit code, they have a special selection screen.

Here's how you do it:
1. press MENU
2. select SETUP
3. type 243 then press ZONES

Ignore the remote lockout code, change the remote machine code to either 1 or 2, then select "save these settings".

So, change one unit to code 1 and the other to code 2, then the ReplayTV1 code in the Nevo will work the first one and the ReplayTV2 code will work the second.

I need to do something with the Nevo backlight myself because the backlight is almost always on, and if it detects the slightest touch it will come back on.

Later, Rob

post #22 of 54 Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks Rob(s) for the info.

I see Rob(man) has a thread going on JP1. Hope we can continue sharing info there

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...9fe950e6b35fcc
The Robman likes this.
post #23 of 54 Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 PM

So Robman: I now realized you are the Rob I emailed when the hifi-remote website having problems after you moved it to another server. I am not surprised.

Susan
post #24 of 54 Old 10-06-2015, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So Robman: I now realized you are the Rob I emailed when the hifi-remote website having problems after you moved it to another server. I am not surprised.

Susan
Yup, that was me, you were looking for the advanced code lists. So we have ReplayTV in common too! And I see you live in Boulder, CO, that's also where the JP1 hardware expert Tommy Tyler lives.

Later, Rob

post #25 of 54 Old 10-06-2015, 03:15 PM

That's cool! I see you are in Chicago which is where I lived for several years prior to Boulder. I am actually from Champaign. I was in River North and then Schaumburg and Streamwood.

Susan
post #26 of 54 Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KODI ReplayTV support is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
have not seen a post on replay tv here in a long time and clicked on it out of curiosity. I am wondering if you are aware of the internet interface called XMBC or now called Kodi?
I have never gotten this to work. When I select a replay device Kodi hangs. There is a work around to address directly. I can see the video listed but selecting an input causes it to hang. I try with each release. Since Replay is not HD there is no one working to support it. I wish some one would fix but it has been broken for years. I wish they would just take the support out it haunts me to try again and again
post #27 of 54 Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I hadn't heard of Kodi before but will have to check it out:
http://kodi.tv/about/

Do you know if you can use it to watch programs that you've downloaded from ReplayTV using WiRNS or DVArchive?

Later, Rob

post #28 of 54 Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
I hadn't heard of Kodi before but will have to check it out:
http://kodi.tv/about/

Do you know if you can use it to watch programs that you've downloaded from ReplayTV using WiRNS or DVArchive?
I am not familiar with Replay tv and its workings. With Kodi your issues with it become less important. I access Kodi from an Android box that I bought off of Amazon called the Minix Neo 8 Hplus, though there are many devices now that access it including the computer. Whats cool about Kodi is that it kind of precludes the need for recording as everything is already there, neatly arranged, ready to be streamed when desired. The shows are commercial free, and in HD. There are lots of tutorials on youtube on how it works and what you can do with it. As well, people do configure it to record onto usb drives and such, I just have not done so.
post #29 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I was very active on these forums too, back in those early days, but then like many of the regulars, I kinda drifted away as there wasn't much new to talk about in ReplayTV-land.

But now that DNNA has shut down, I was forced to either go with LaHo or use WiRNS with Schedules Direct, and I went down the latter path. So now I'm learning what WiRNS can do, and as I had to learn how to properly set up my router, I even got IVS working.

So, Rob -- what exactly do you record with your ReplayTV? I have two 5040's and a Showstopper but with all the source signals available being digital they've been pretty much fancy door stops. What are you doing with yours?

- Les
post #30 of 54 Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnoland View Post
So, Rob -- what exactly do you record with your ReplayTV? I have two 5040's and a Showstopper but with all the source signals available being digital they've been pretty much fancy door stops. What are you doing with yours?

- Les
I have Comcast DTA boxes that convert the digital signals to analog. We just get broadcast channels, no cable channels, but there's plenty of stuff to record off of the networks. Mainly we record NBC Nightly News, Meet the Press, Scandal, Survivor, etc, and thanks to IVS, we've just caught up on The Walking Dead and are now watching Fear the Walking Dead. We do watch other stuff online though, using Hulu or Netflix.

Later, Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page