Hard drive failure(s) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hard drive failure(s)

Hi, I recently had a hard drive fail in one of my 5xxx units. It began failing by getting stuck, stuttering and ultimately got stuck on "Please Wait".
I had bought two 320GB drives on Ebay about a year back and I was ready to install them. I installed the first one and, after a few hours of inputting etc I had it working, good as new. It lasted not quite 2 weeks and stopped responding and got stuck on "Please Wait". Okay, unfortunate but what are you gonna do? I pulled out my other and last spare. Installed it and after a few hours of back and forth was able to get it working. Seemed to work great for all of 3 days and then it started stuttering big time and went to "Please Wait" heaven (hell).
So my question(s) are-
1. Is the commercial advance a feature that goes with the hard drive or the motherboard? I realized that I really like commercial advance.
2. I read somewhere that the 320GB Drives were prone to failure, is that the consensus and should I avoid those? They've certainly failed on me.
3. Other than popping them into another unit, is there a way to check the drives? Both of these failed with the same motherboard/unit.
4. Does it have to be one of those Maxor hard drives or can any hard drive be configured to work in the Replay chasis and how difficult is it to put the software on the drive?

Thanks in advance.

I had a 5508 on deck waiting for the next failure so I have that one in service now but I'm completely out of spares at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
0 for 3? Hmm. Are you sure it isn't the power supply?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No. The first one lasted for a long time. I bought it used and I've been using it for years. The next two drives were probably used or "re-furbished" but I don't know for sure.
I'm really not sure what the problem is. What happens when a power supply goes out? I would think the whole machine would die? I have a bunch of machines at this point so I could pull parts and try things. What does the power supply look like and how do you test it?

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM

The power supply is the little board next to the fan. It is easily swapped with another 5xxx replay. (4 screws, 3 connectors)

A common symptom of a bad power supply is getting stuck on the "please wait" screen. (It's also a symptom of a bad hd)

The power supply caps go bad and cause the voltages to degrade. Other symptoms include the blue no video screen and 'fan lock' errors.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleigher1 View Post
4. Does it have to be one of those Maxor hard drives or can any hard drive be configured to work in the Replay chasis and how difficult is it to put the software on the drive?
If you don't know how to format a drive for Replay, how did you get the drives you bought on eBay to work, or are you buying drives already formatted for Replay? If it's the latter, then you really do need to learn how to format a drive because it's very easy.

The tool you need is RTVPatch:
http://www.planetreplay.com/software/rtvpatch/

And you can get the drive images from here:
http://www.planetreplay.com/software...s/replay/50xx/

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I used to test the drives with WD diagnostics but I am not sure how reliable that is. You could reformat and then try the drives in the same unit again. If they don't work, try in another unit just to isolate the issue to power supply or hard drive.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is me again. Had difficulty logging in mobile so I now have a mobile acct.
The drives that I purchased on eBay were already imaged with the Replay info. Is there an easy way to test the power supplies?
Are they prone to intermittent operation? I thought they were either good or bad? Aren't they, basically a small a/c to d/c inverter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.corselli View Post
This is me again. Had difficulty logging in mobile so I now have a mobile acct.
The drives that I purchased on eBay were already imaged with the Replay info. Is there an easy way to test the power supplies?
Are they prone to intermittent operation? I thought they were either good or bad? Aren't they, basically a small a/c to d/c inverter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the caps get old, their resistance goes up and the dc voltages diverge from their designed voltage and get a larger and larger a/c component.

The resulting effect manifests itself as crashs, boot loops, "no video" blue screens and "fan locks". So no, it isn't necessarily good or bad.

It's easy to measure the voltages... There are several articles in this forum that describe the correct readings.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's some more info on the power supply and replacing the capacitors:
ReplayTV 5xxx Power Supply Repair

Here is a replacement part for the "C41" 2200uf 10volt cap mentioned in the thread:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...47-UHE1A222MPD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	485fc03f_ReplayTV_Power_Supply_IMG_1981_zps9bf7e79e.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1012849  

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement