How toactivate a new out of the box ReplayTV unit? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 10-28-2015, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How toactivate a new out of the box ReplayTV unit?

I just unpacked a new sealed 5040 unit but of course it won't activate as ReplayTV is gone. I have several other units on WiRNS but if I use the IP address of the WiRNS PC for both DNS servers, it still fails to activate and the new unit is now useless. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
Dino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you can activate it using shell commands, but another option is to connect to LaHo as I'm pretty sure they will activate the unit too
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16311
SD_Shadow likes this.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #3 of 35 Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yup.. LaHo RNS (Last Hope ReplayTV Network Service) will activate anything that connects... no PercData account is needed.
SD_Shadow likes this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!

post #4 of 35 Old 10-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
where did you find a sealed, NIB 5040? That's got to be a rare find.
post #5 of 35 Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsssman View Post
I just unpacked a new sealed 5040 unit but of course it won't activate as ReplayTV is gone. I have several other units on WiRNS but if I use the IP address of the WiRNS PC for both DNS servers, it still fails to activate and the new unit is now useless. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
Dino
I got a "new" Replay less than a month ago. I connected it to WiRNS and had no problem activating it. 4-1-1-Zones shows ISC: 10/1/2015.

You may need to do the first boot with the ethernet cable disconnected, so you can make custom DNS settings.
post #6 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

mlloyd, yea I did that and booted up with no ether cable so I could either point to my WiRNS PC or to one of 3 different IPs I found for LaHo and non worked unfortunately. So, I might need to try and contact the LaHo people to see if they can help.

BTW, I did find it on ebay believe it or not lol.
post #7 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Lightbulb Kudos to Henry...

Quote:
I just unpacked a new sealed 5040 unit but of course it won't activate as ReplayTV is gone... ...Are there any alternatives?
WAG

See if this helps: PlanetReplay: Getting 5K Connected to LaHo From A Factory Reset
SD_Shadow likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #8 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
mlloyd, yea I did that and booted up with no ether cable so I could either point to my WiRNS PC or to one of 3 different IPs I found for LaHo and non worked unfortunately. So, I might need to try and contact the LaHo people to see if they can help.

BTW, I did find it on ebay believe it or not lol.
That's where I got mine. It took nothing special to get it activated. However, my network is set up so DNS returns the WiRNS IP for any ".replaytv.net" requests. I would have thought it would still work with manual settings on the Replay.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you describe what happened when you tried to connect using the LaHo IP address? And you did remember to reconnect the Ethernet cable, right?

Later, Rob

post #10 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand & The Robman, I tried the instructions here "See if this helps: PlanetReplay: Getting 5K Connected to LaHo From A Factory Reset", but when I had ether set to manual, the first screenshot came up with no settings set, and when I adjusted my router to use HaLo's IP address (207.58.129.219) as my only DNS servers and Replay set yo ether auto IP, I got the second screenshot, Unexpected Result Code 95b80002. I did NOT create a PercData account; do I need to?

Also, mlloyd, I tried using the IP address of my WiRNS PC but that doesn't work either.....I get my first screenshot, no IP info even though I entered it including DNS servers pointing to the IP address of my WiRNS PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_165836418.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	1029745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_170939235.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	1029753  
post #11 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Henry Had These Answers Memorized...

Quote:
ClearToLand & The Robman, I tried the instructions...
Are you using LaHo Good Will or paid LaHo?

The first time through, with the ethernet cable disconnected, should give you the first screen you show since the ReplayTV starts out on Automatic looking for a DHCP. When it fails, as it should, "Try Again", IIRC, should point you to Manual settings where you now follow the directions for LaHo Good Will. If you did that and it errored out with your second screen, you'll need to talk to Robert from Perc Data, read all of the thread I LINK'd to, read some threads over on the Schedules Direct forum, etc...

You might also want to do a "Factory Reset" and retry Henry's instructions again...

post #12 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand, I tried the Good Will LaHo instructions and their IP address as my DNS server IP (even ran Tracert on all 3 IPs I found for them to verify connectivity), and over various instructions I found online for Good Will, there were multiple different Good Wills listed over the years with different IPs and I tried them all lol. Could it be that the software is so old on the unit since it's been in the box for over 10 years, running v530451230, and yea, I read over the long thread you linked to so maybe a shout out to Robert at PercData is necessary. Maybe I should try updating to latest software with the image I found online first, then try activating?
post #13 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrow Let's Move This Over to PlanetReplay / LaHo...

I just came back from PlanetReplay where I did a SEARCH for "95b80002", POSTS, ALL AVAILABLE and this error appears to be related to:
Quote:
...However, updating to the most current version causes the "95b80002" error when a replaytv unit tries to change zip codes or get new guide lineups...
Now, I remember reading that LaHo Good Will doesn't care about Zip Codes so Robert may have to look into why LaHo is complaining, *IF* indeed you are connecting to LaHo Good Will.

I wouldn't worry about connecting through WiRNS until you get your unit Activated. From your first post, I'm assuming that you're using WiRNS3.x w/Schedules Direct to get Guide Data and that's where your Zip Code will come into play. My BEST suggestion is to use the SEARCH function over at PlanetReplay and read some of Henry's replies on the topic.

post #14 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand, I will do just that and search Planet Replay and see what happens. And, yes, I successfully use WiRNS/Schedules Direct for several other Replays that went dark with Replay pulling the plug this summer lol.
post #15 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation v530451230

Quote:
ClearToLand, I tried the Good Will LaHo instructions and their IP address as my DNS server IP (even ran Tracert on all 3 IPs I found for them to verify connectivity), and over various instructions I found online for Good Will, there were multiple different Good Wills listed over the years with different IPs and I tried them all lol...
I believe that Henry updated the IP in the LINK I pointed you to.

Quote:
...Could it be that the software is so old on the unit since it's been in the box for over 10 years, running v530451230, and yea, I read over the long thread you linked to so maybe a shout out to Robert at PercData is necessary. Maybe I should try updating to latest software with the image I found online first, then try activating?
THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!

IIRC, @mlloyd likes to copy a preset image with all his preferred settings to his HDDs (all he has to change is the units IP) so he probably did that to his new unit. @The Robman posted a LINK to Ryan's latest image over on PlanetReplay. Pop that on a spare HDD if you have one laying around and see if it works any better. @mlloyd 's "Ace-in-the-Hole" is his router re-directing calls to ".replaytv.net" with, IIRC, DD-WRT (or Tomato).

post #16 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
I believe that Henry updated the IP in the LINK I pointed you to.
Ok, I will look for that updated IP and try that as well.

THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!

IIRC, @mlloyd likes to copy a preset image with all his preferred settings to his HDDs (all he has to change is the units IP) so he probably did that to his new unit. @The Robman posted a LINK to Ryan's latest image over on PlanetReplay. Pop that on a spare HDD if you have one laying around and see if it works any better. @mlloyd 's "Ace-in-the-Hole" is his router re-directing calls to ".replaytv.net" with, IIRC, DD-WRT (or Tomato).
And, I DO have a spare larger HDD I was going to use anyway, so I'll put the latest software on that one, try everything again, and if it still fails, I'll look for Ryan's image at Planet Replay per The Robman and then try that as well. Thank you for all the helpful suggestions!! I will report back as I progress.
post #17 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Using WiRNS to Activate...

Quote:
And, I DO have a spare larger HDD I was going to use anyway, so I'll put the latest software on that one, try everything again, and if it still fails, I'll look for Ryan's image at Planet Replay per The Robman and then try that as well...
Ryan's version, 143, is really the latest as it enables CA/IVS on 55XXs where 144 from DNNA disables CA/IVS.

I just did another SEARCH on PlanetReplay, this time for "Factory Reset" and there's LOTs of good info from Henry. My memory is slowly coming back that WiRNS3.X can Activate, while WiRNS2.x needed a couple of Add-Ons.

Some discussion from the summer of 2011:

post #18 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ryan's version, 143, is really the latest as it enables CA/IVS on 55XXs where 144 from DNNA disables CA/IVS.
Ah, got it, I was unaware of v143 - thanks!

I just did another SEARCH on PlanetReplay, this time for "Factory Reset" and there's LOTs of good info from Henry. My memory is slowly coming back that WiRNS3.X can Activate, while WiRNS2.x needed a couple of Add-Ons.
And, everything I read online said that WiRNS v3.x can activate, but I could not figure out WHAT to do to WiRNS to get it to do that for me.

Some discussion from the summer of 2011:
And I will check these links out this evening and see what works and post afterwards; thanks for your genuine help!!
post #19 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
...And, everything I read online said that WiRNS v3.x can activate, but I could not figure out WHAT to do to WiRNS to get it to do that for me...
Another WAG from a SEARCH on PlanetReplay for "AuthCmds":

Quote:
...Now you can reinstall WiRNS. Be sure and install the nightly build so that it will update WiRNS to the latest version before you start using it. But, because your Replay is factory reset, it won't be able to discover your Replay, and you'll just have to skip that step for now. You can still get WiRNS completely setup and don't change any of the settings in WiRNS after it sets itself up, except to be sure and rename authcmds.example to just authcmds (very important)...

post #20 of 35 Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:

IIRC, @mlloyd likes to copy a preset image with all his preferred settings to his HDDs (all he has to change is the units IP)
Yes, I do that. Sorry I forgot to mention that detail. Older software could be the cause of the problem. The old HD had gone bad.

I do set an IP, but not on the Replay. I prefer to leave that as dynamic and set the router to provide a specific IP (address reservation). What I do need to change is the Replay name, IVS name and port.

BTW, the router firmware is DD-WRT. I needed a new router (to handle the 50Mbps internet speed I got this year) and Tomato doesn't support it.
post #21 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
ClearToLand... if you need me to walk you through it, we can set up a time. The best way is through Skype on a phone or tablet so you can show me what's on the ReplayTV unit.

You can fill out a PercData "contact me" form or the skype name is "percdata"

I've worked a lot of folks through it. I can also watch the server and confirm they're talking.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!

Last edited by Reden; 10-31-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #22 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The firmware that CTL mentioned earlier, build 143 was the last build where you could enable CA/IVS on 55xx units using shell commands, but it wasn't widely distributed and I have yet to find a copy. Build 144 is the last build released with all the latest fixes, but this is the version that hard codes the killing of CA/IVS for 55xx units. Ryan's build is a patched version of build 144 which allows CA/IVS on all units and has all the improvements and fixes that the regular 144 build has.

Here's a link to Ryan's 144 build:
http://www.planetreplay.com/software...tory_reset.zip

In future, if you need this build but don't remember the URL, just go to the Planet Replay front page, then follow this path:

Planet Replay > Software Archive > images > replay > 50xx > rtv_5k_144_ca_ivs_factory_reset.zip

Later, Rob

post #23 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, well it's going to be a while before I can work on this since I spent most of last night figuring out now why WiRNS is broken and wants to stay RED and all I did was update it. So, after wasting 5 hours last night, it's going to be a while before I can look at that before I even begin work on activating the new Replay again and didn't want anyone thinking I was ignoring you guys. I will try all the suggestions; I just have a new much larger problem now that WiRNS is broken :-( I don't even know now if my Replays will have the correct time now (CST) tomorrow since they can't even connect to WiRNS.
post #24 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
The firmware that CTL mentioned earlier, build 143 was the last build where you could enable CA/IVS on 55xx units using shell commands, but it wasn't widely distributed and I have yet to find a copy. Build 144 is the last build released with all the latest fixes, but this is the version that hard codes the killing of CA/IVS for 55xx units. Ryan's build is a patched version of build 144 which allows CA/IVS on all units and has all the improvements and fixes that the regular 144 build has.

Here's a link to Ryan's 144 build:
http://www.planetreplay.com/software...tory_reset.zip

In future, if you need this build but don't remember the URL, just go to the Planet Replay front page, then follow this path:

Planet Replay > Software Archive > images > replay > 50xx > rtv_5k_144_ca_ivs_factory_reset.zip
The Robman, thank you for your valuable insight!!!
post #25 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok guys, well it's going to be a while before I can work on this since I spent most of last night figuring out now why WiRNS is broken and wants to stay RED and all I did was update it...
Just to be sure, you're troubleshooting WiRNS by starting it via a Command Prompt right? That way you can see where it hangs up. If you visit PlanetReplay, you'll see where LOTs of folks posted both their WiRNS log and DEBUG log for Henry to diagnose. I haven't looked at WiRNS in a few years, but, IIRC, there should be a BAT file somewhere in the WiRNS directory that will start it via a Command Prompt. That's the only way I ever ran WiRNS2.x - so I could see the log file in real time.

You can also get a Quick Start by reinstalling WiRNS, via the MSI file, and then doing an immediate update date (since the MSI file is an old version and there is no MSI for the latest version). You can rename the current WiRNS directory to save any customizations, reinstall WiRNS in a WiRNS directory and then copy the customizations back. What you'll lose is the registry entries, IIRC...

post #26 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just to be sure, you're troubleshooting WiRNS by starting it via a Command Prompt right? That way you can see where it hangs up. If you visit PlanetReplay, you'll see where LOTs of folks posted both their WiRNS log and DEBUG log for Henry to diagnose. I haven't looked at WiRNS in a few years, but, IIRC, there should be a BAT file somewhere in the WiRNS directory that will start it via a Command Prompt. That's the only way I ever ran WiRNS2.x - so I could see the log file in real time.
Yea, I start in command prompt under Win 7 Pro 64-bit (which worked for 4 months untouched) and after it says "Plugin: GetTimeZone.dll loaded", a new Windows window opens up that says "WiRNS has stopped working" and I select "Close the Prrogram".

You can also get a Quick Start by reinstalling WiRNS, via the MSI file, and then doing an immediate update date (since the MSI file is an old version and there is no MSI for the latest version). You can rename the current WiRNS directory to save any customizations, reinstall WiRNS in a WiRNS directory and then copy the customizations back. What you'll lose is the registry entries, IIRC...
I did this too and still it blows up at the exact same Loading Get TimeZone.dll6 point.
post #27 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok guys, well it's going to be a while before I can work on this since I spent most of last night figuring out now why WiRNS is broken and wants to stay RED and all I did was update it. So, after wasting 5 hours last night, it's going to be a while before I can look at that before I even begin work on activating the new Replay again and didn't want anyone thinking I was ignoring you guys. I will try all the suggestions; I just have a new much larger problem now that WiRNS is broken :-( I don't even know now if my Replays will have the correct time now (CST) tomorrow since they can't even connect to WiRNS.
I tried helping someone else recently for whom WiRNS had stopped working. After trying everything that we could think of, he simply uninstalled and then re-installed WiRNS and that fixed it. So, while I know it's sort of the "nuclear option", it would take a lot less than 5 hours to try.

Later, Rob

post #28 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
I tried helping someone else recently for whom WiRNS had stopped working. After trying everything that we could think of, he simply uninstalled and then re-installed WiRNS and that fixed it. So, while I know it's sort of the "nuclear option", it would take a lot less than 5 hours to try.
Oh I tried this early on last night more times than I can count and again today and downloaded new image and updated immediately and still nothing lol. I even deleted the WiRNS folder and started from scratch but still it fails after loading GetTimeZone.dll, so looks like it doesn't like my PC anymore even though nothing else has changed on it; no updates or anything new on it. I just fail to see how a simple UPDATE of WiRNS could have wrecked it permanently.
post #29 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy I'm Stumped...

Quote:
I did this too and still it blows up at the exact same Loading Get TimeZone.dll6 point.
I found very little, and nothing current, on GetTimeZone with a SEARCH on PlanetReplay:
Quote:
...The ReplayTV typically only does a gettimezone as part of a zipcode change, if you want WiRNS to intercept this request...use the LoginAuthLogout.dll, and if you turn on UserTimeZone...you can pass whatever timezone string you want...
I suggest posting your logs there and see if Glenn or Ryan pop in with any advice...

post #30 of 35 Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I found very little, and nothing current, on GetTimeZone with a SEARCH on PlanetReplay:

I suggest posting your logs there and see if Glenn or Ryan pop in with any advice...
Yea ClearToLand, I will do just that, but I might be gone for the rest of the day so might have to be tomorrow; thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page