If anyone's there, I have a quick question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone's there, I have a quick question

Networking 5500 Replays...can I also use a 5080 without an issue? I know it's probably a dumb question but I couldn't find an answer quickly. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, my 5xxx and 55xx units all network together when on same LAN.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish View Post
Yes, my 5xxx and 55xx units all network together when on same LAN.
thanks

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
55xx and 5xxx units are exactly the same, the only difference is that the firmware is programmed to test for a 55xx serial number and when found, it disables CA and IVS. If you load the patched version of the firmware, there are literally no differences.

If you don't know how to change the firmware, let me know and I'll tell you.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #5 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
55xx and 5xxx units are exactly the same, the only difference is that the firmware is programmed to test for a 55xx serial number and when found, it disables CA and IVS. If you load the patched version of the firmware, there are literally no differences.

Thanks for your help..Indeed, no problem networking the 5040 or 5080 with my 5500's. I confess I do not know what you meant about the firmware but I am willing to listen. Also, I am looking for more hard drives (that are already imaged) cuz I also confess I don't know how to do that. I am NOT young but I am able to change hard drives and figure out most problems. I'm reading about 'how to" image drives but I think I have to purchase that gizmo from Amazon so I can hook up a hard drive to my PC....still using XP. Dunno if you have access to hard drives, but if you do, pleass let me know. Thanks.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for your help..Indeed, no problem networking the 5040 or 5080 with my 5500's. I confess I do not know what you meant about the firmware but I am willing to listen. Also, I am looking for more hard drives (that are already imaged) cuz I also confess I don't know how to do that. I am NOT young but I am able to change hard drives and figure out most problems. I'm reading about 'how to" image drives but I think I have to purchase that gizmo from Amazon so I can hook up a hard drive to my PC....still using XP. Dunno if you have access to hard drives, but if you do, pleass let me know. Thanks.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know where to get more drives, other than ebay of course, but IDE drives are becoming something of a rarity.

If you are using an older XP computer that might actually a good thing, do you know if it uses IDE drives? If it does, you can hook the Replay drive up to one of the IDE ribbons in the pc and re-image it that way. For people with more modern pcs, they would need to buy an IDE to USB adapter ($10 on Amazon).

To re-image a drive, you just need to download a program called RTVPatch, the process is really easy.
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch

Later, Rob

post #8 of 12 Old 01-05-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I don't know where to get more drives, other than ebay of course, but IDE drives are becoming something of a rarity.

If you are using an older XP computer that might actually a good thing, do you know if it uses IDE drives? If it does, you can hook the Replay drive up to one of the IDE ribbons in the pc and re-image it that way. For people with more modern pcs, they would need to buy an IDE to USB adapter ($10 on Amazon).

To re-image a drive, you just need to download a program called RTVPatch, the process is really easy.
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch
When you need to connect the drive to a PC, I find it a lot easier to use a USB adapter (like http://www.amazon.com/Generic-SATA-5...e+sata+adapter). Note that you can leave the drive in the Replay, disconnect the Replay's IDE cable and connect the adapter, and use the Replay as a power supply for the drive.

This saves a lot of work. No opening the PC case. No Rebooting the PC. No removing the drive from the Replay (unless you need a new drive). However, you do still need to remove the 10 screws from the Replay case.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
When you need to connect the drive to a PC, I find it a lot easier to use a USB adapter (like http://www.amazon.com/Generic-SATA-5...e+sata+adapter). Note that you can leave the drive in the Replay, disconnect the Replay's IDE cable and connect the adapter, and use the Replay as a power supply for the drive.

This saves a lot of work. No opening the PC case. No Rebooting the PC. No removing the drive from the Replay (unless you need a new drive). However, you do still need to remove the 10 screws from the Replay case.
Thanks for the help....so is this the same as this one: SANOXY A12940 SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable /// or different? thanks.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is that this one? SANOXY A12940 SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable ...or different? Thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shar2649 View Post
Is that this one? SANOXY A12940 SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable ...or different? Thanks.
Yes, that's the one that I use, but ay similar adapter should do. It's under $8 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OORMVQ/

Later, Rob

post #12 of 12 Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes it's easier, that's why I recommended it in the wiki article that I wrote on the subject, but if someone doesn't want to wait for an adapter to come in the mail, and they have an older PC, they have the option of doing it without an adapter.

Later, Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page