5040 that has never been activated - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5040 that has never been activated

One of the FAQs mentions that upgrading hard drives on replaytv is
based partially on reverse engineering and since DNNA has gone south
and since I do not have wifi and since I do not want to use Perc,
my question is: how can i get access to the software that is the
operating software on a 5040 40GB that has never been activated (the
operating software fails when dialing the preprogrammed phone number,
maybe because the number is no longer active)?

(have been unsuccessful with rtvpatch, or maybe I'm not using
it correctly)

Would the replaytv software on the HD be in a file format such
as a .exe ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't think you're asking the right questions. Let's take a step back and determine what you're trying to do. Obviously, as DNNA is not there anymore, there's nowhere for the RTV to dial into and if it's never been activated, chances are the firmware is several versions out of date, so you would need to load the latest firmware using RTVPatch. Also, once you have the latest firmware, you need to decide how you intend to use the unit. The easiest option is LaHo, which you say you don't want to do, so does that mean you will use SD/WiRNS instead? Without a channel guide, even an empty one, I don't think you can even use it as a VCR.

So, let's get back to RTVPatch? What did you try and what didn't work? Here's a guide that might help...
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Several points of clarification. Thank you for your needed reply.

First, I have no wifi, so Wirns is out.
Second, I guess I was mistaken, thinking that a 5040 could record
analog (after passing OTA through a converter box) programs without
a guide (just by entering a time and length).
Third, I was confused about "firmware" (that rtvpatch refers to) as
being on the hard drive (long ago, "firmware" was considered to be
software on a chip).

My initial post was to determine if the "software" operating
code on the hard drive could be extracted, changed to bypass
the dial-in requirement, and restored to the hard drive (also
hoping someone would undertake the challenge to "reverse engineer"
this capability).

But if this (never activated) 5040 cannot be used to record OTA
without a guide, I have no use for it.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshellxx View Post
Can I ask how you access this forum? Cell data plan? The RTV cannot use Wifi w/o a wireless adapter, which it never came with. It will use dialup (no longer supported) or ethernet (supported via LaHo or WiRNS/SD)

Quote:
You could theoretically do this but realize that the clock cannot be set w/o connecting to a service. It will drift over time.

Quote:
this capability).
You can't really do much with the software, as it is designed to do what it does. It is programmed to "phone home" nightly to get new guide data, have its subscription verified, and have its clock set. WiRNS / SD is a $25 / year solution to replicate the service that DNNA no longer provides.

Quote:
It can be used, but you'd need to activate it first, and that requires WiRNS or LaHo.

Hell, you could set up WiRNS on a laptop as your "server" and bring your laptop to a place with free wifi to load it with schedule data and then bring the latop home to serve the data to your RTV.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, one thing at a time, in this case the term "firmware" refers to the operating system that comes with the Replay, it's not burned into a ROM chip, it's on the hard drive. RTVPatch let's you backup and restore that firmware, it also let's you patch the firmware so that you can use larger hard drives. The firmware on your RTV is undoubtedly very out of date, so the first thing you need to do is restore the drive using a backup image of the latest firmware, which we have here. Of course, while you're at it, you might want to replace that tiny 40gb drive with a larger one if you can still find an IDE drive on ebay.

Next up, it appears that you think the "Wi" in "WiRNS" means "wi-fi", but it doesn't, WiRNS stands for Windown Replay Network Server, so if your reasoning for not considering WiRNS is because you don't have wi-fi, you can re-consider. But, if what you really meant to say was you don't have internet, that's another story. Though I would also be curious to know how you are posting here on this internet forum.

Next up, the channel guide. You can do VCR style recordings without any channel guide data, but you still need to at least have an empty channel guide, otherwise you won't be able to say "record from channel 5 at 6pm" because you won't have a channel 5. So what you would need to do is sign up for the free 1 week trial with LaHo in order to get a channel guide, then even when the data runs out, you can still do VCR style recording.

Next up is the OTA converter box, are you really using an OTA antenna or are you using a basic package for cable TV? Either way, you will need to program the Replay to work the converter box if you want it to be tuned to the right channel when you record, so you will almost certainly need to load some new IR codes into the RTV. And if you really are using an antenna, you will need a box that Replay can force to tune to the digital sub channels, and there aren't many that work with Replay.

And finally, LaHo is only $42/year, and it would give you a full channel guide so you could do proper PVR style recordings. If you do have internet in your house, you should also consider WiRNS and Schedules Direct as SD is just $25/year and you can archive your recordings onto your computer hard drive and you can still play them back on your Replay. So, if you have lots of old recordings that you want to keep but you don't want them using up space that you could use for new recordings, that's the answer.

Later, Rob

post #6 of 13 Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe by "I don't have Wifi" he means he doesn't have a home network -- his PC is directly connected to his modem.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Several points of clarification. Thank you for your needed reply.

Third, I was confused about "firmware" (that rtvpatch refers to) as
being on the hard drive (long ago, "firmware" was considered to be
software on a chip).

this capability).

first, You probably don't mean "wifi" here, but networking. Wifi is wireless, and usually an inferior network.

second, a Replay will not record from the tuner input without a guide (you don't have to have listings, but the guide includes tuner setup info). You CAN record from input 1, however this fact is useful only in OLDER Replays, since the software won't do anything without activation. That requires network/phone. Maybe someone could figure out how to remove the activation requirement.

third, it's software. There is firmware on a Replay, which loads the software.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
third, it's software. There is firmware on a Replay, which loads the software.
The distinction is fuzzy, and not all people use the terms the same way. In this context, here's a good definition (from https://danielmiessler.com/blog/soft...ware-hardware/):
Quote:
  • Software is the set of user programs running on a system that are designed to be updated often by those users
  • Firmware is semi-permanent software running on a system that may or may not be updated often, and usually require a higher level of skill or effort
  • Hardware is the physical components of a system that the software and firmware run on
I realize that by this definition, the operating system of a PC would fall under "firmware", and few people consider that to be true. Like I said, it's fuzzy.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU everybody, excellent info. My only home access to the internet is through
a dialup modem. And my resources are limited, so I consider that no Wifi and no
ethernet and no desire to use laho, does leave me with seeking an alternative to my
ageing VCR for recording OTA. Was hoping to find someone here, who perhaps has dabbled
with reverse engineering" of the software on the HD. That is why I asked in my initial
post if the software on the HD is in the form of ".exe".
post #10 of 13 Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry to say, but with the restrictions that you have, I don't think there's much you can do with your RTV unit. LaHo used to offer a dial up service, which is what you would need, but they don't anymore.

As for your question about reverse engineering the code, I'm not sure what you're looking for but yes, that has been done:
http://www.wirns.com/twiki/

Later, Rob

post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
THANK YOU everybody, excellent info. My only home access to the internet is through
a dialup modem. .

Before I had cable internet, I used to use a network router with a dialup modem. It would recognize when a network device was trying to access the internet, and dial up. This didn't work very well since establishing an internet connection would take too long and (as far as the computer/Replay was concerned) the connection would fail. The only way it would work was if the computer/Replay tried again within 20 minutes (before the ISP gave up).

BOINC would work. I don't know about Replays (I used phone connection then). I think you'd have to do it manually.

As to where to find such a router, I don't know. This was about 15 years ago.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
a dialup modem. And my resources are limited, so I consider that no Wifi and no
ethernet and no desire to use laho, does leave me with seeking an alternative to my
ageing VCR for recording OTA. Was hoping to find someone here, who perhaps has dabbled
with reverse engineering" of the software on the HD. That is why I asked in my initial
post if the software on the HD is in the form of ".exe".
Actually, if you have a home LAN (you don't need broadband), you can use WiRNS and SD.

What you would do, is connect your PC and ReplayTV to the LAN. You'd need to set up WiRNS and configure the RTV to fetch its data from it, but you can use your dial-up connection on the PC that has WiRNS on it to get your guide data. Since you are only looking at OTA, you wouldn't be downloading a lot of guide data, and you could set up WiRNS to fetch the guide data at a certain time when your dialup connection is active.

I used to do this before I got broadband. Use AO-Hell to connect to the internet and download my guide data...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #13 of 13 Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
Before I had cable internet, I used to use a network router with a dialup modem. It would recognize when a network device was trying to access the internet, and dial up. [...] As to where to find such a router, I don't know. This was about 15 years ago.
I recall the pains...

3com OfficeConnect LAN Modem

Amazingly in this day and age, new ones are still available for purchase!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page