Potential to breathe life in to RTV's - if clear QAM available - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Potential to breathe life in to RTV's - if clear QAM available

Curious if this has been attempted.
I found 3 different units that tune in the clear QAM and OTA.
My local cable co still provides in the clear QAM (in fact just recently 2.16 finally cut off all analog)
With the composite/component connectivity, these could be used to tune channels if the RTV can be set to irblast channel changes similar to the way it changed channels for my SAT boxes.
Key would be finding IR codes that work...
and then maybe that would be problem, what can I tell my RTV is coming in on the composite/component inputs?

Anyway, just hanging on....I want to believe there is a solution. So spoiled by the single greatest piece of Technology that is my RTV's

Thoughts on using any of these as an input similar to how RTVs handled at Sattelite box and the tuning of channels? via IRblaster or the serial connection (that was just genius feature of RTVs)

All available via Amazon at least:
Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording

Viewtv AT-163 ATSC Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player w/ Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out / Coaxial Out / Composite Out / USB Input

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If we know what the IR signals look like, we can create a rid file.

Looking at the HomeWorx HW-150PVR for example:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2ZBD1U

we have a file for this in the JP1 forum, so we could create a rid file for Replay:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12043

How do you tune to sub-channels on this box (eg, channel 5.1) ? Do you have to enter the period, or can you enter 051 to get there? If you can, then you can make Replay use it. Assuming you're using WiRNS to get your channel guide info, you just re-map the 5.1 channel to 51 and set your Replay to always send 3 digits (type 243-Zones when in the remote control screen, will give you more details if you get that far).

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepy View Post
I found 3 different units that tune in the clear QAM and OTA.
My local cable co still provides in the clear QAM (in fact just recently 2.16 finally cut off all analog)
With the composite/component connectivity, these could be used to tune channels if the RTV can be set to irblast channel changes similar to the way it changed channels for my SAT boxes.
and then maybe that would be problem, what can I tell my RTV is coming in on the composite/component inputs?
Step 1. Finding a Set Top Box that does not make use of a hash (-) mark to tune any or all sub-channels. If the box requires a hash mark to tune anything, you have one SLIM chance to get that box to work.

Step 2. Building an IR Blaster file (.rid) that controls this box, should one not exist.

Step 3. Creating a custom line-up in WiRNS.

Biggest obstacle is Step 1. A Replay will only send the following IR commands to your STB: Power, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, Enter. It understands nothing else. The "Power" command is only used when you are setting up your RTV to command the box ("Press Ch+ to toggle STB Power")

There are some work a rounds, the first being to hope that your cable system makes use of logical channel numbers for Clear QAM, and doesn't stack channels on one virtual one, so that you could tune main (-1) channels if your STB default tunes to main channels.

The other way is to hope there is an unused digit in your lineup that you could substitute with a hash. You'd need to create a very custom RID file, replacing that digit with the hash, and creating a custom lineup substituting the hash with the digit. i.e. -- "8" is unused, so to tune 11-3, replace "-" with "8" and send 1183; create custom channel lineup to suit.

Oh, and you would be limited to four digits, including the hash, in any custom lineup you create.

Not easy or trivial, but possible.

There used to be a thread on the subject "What STB's can be controlled by RTVs" or something the like.

I have some CM-7000's for OTA, and CM-7001's for QAM. The former is better for OTA. The latter only does "-1" channels.

Last edited by dstoffa; 04-05-2016 at 07:10 PM.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepy View Post
Try these threads
recording ota/digital via directv/ota STB?

comprehensive list of IR codes?

I hope this helps. Report back if you find anything new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page