5.0: Lock-Ups - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2003, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend bought one of the refurbs and it was working fine until he got a software update on the 8th (110?). It started locking up frequently and then yesterday it got stuck in boot up and is now a doorstop.
He got a RMA # but it could take weeks for a replacement. He wants to put in a bigger harddrive and see if it will work after that. He will have to download a stable copy. Is there a way to prevent dnna from updating his machine once he installs it? Can he call them up and tell them not to give him 110 or whatever it was that coincided with his lockups? Or would you guys recommend he just rma it?

edit: update was on the 8th, not 8 days ago.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
Has anyone else noticed a reduction if lockups if the unit isn't in a cabinet? That is, if the unit has lots of ventilation? Please PM me if you have.

Otherwise, please sign up for the Alcatraz early release. I've been running it for 1.5 months, and haven't seen any of the lockups you are reporting here.

Lyndon
I have the cover off all my replays and tivos and they are all out in the open. I use the on/off method for the 4k and 5k and the 5k is usually the one left off.

The search, skip and instant replay on the 5k are jumpy. Sometimes the picture gets stuck for a short time like it is trying to catch up. But so far, I have not had any actual lockups. I can't say what might happen if I left the cover on the machine or put it in a place with less ventillation.

I also get a popping sound everytime a picture appears on the screen from a channel change or from playing a recording. It must be some kind of feedback from my amp. The 4k and the Directivo don't have that problem.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Scottamus, you can't avoid the software download...but send me friend's email address and serial #.

Considering over 90% of all 5k users have build 110, I find it hard to equate build 110 with brickdom.

Lyndon
Old 09-12-2003, 02:53 PM

I've been running build 110 for a couple of weeks now. I had one lock-up that occurred shortly after my RTV received the download. Since then, it seems pretty OK, except when I do a 411-RZ or a 243-RZ while playing a show--sometimes the RTV will decide to reboot itself, and sometimes playback will stutter. If I stop or pause a show before a 411-RZ or a 243-RZ, I don't see this problem. Thankfully, these problems are minor, and don't happen very often, so far. This was never an issue for me when I was running build 75, which makes me think build 75 was more stable. I missed out on the Alcatraz early release--hopefully it will live up to its nickname.

For those of you keeping score, I have a 4-month-old 5040, and I've always used a dialup connection. I don't have a photo partition, and I don't use DVArchive or any kind of networking. Currently, my 5040 is residing inside of a fairly well-ventilated AV cabinet (half-open back), with a DVD, VCR, AV receiver, and Cassette Tape Deck(!).

Robbie
Old 09-12-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
Scottamus, you can't avoid the software download...but send me friend's email address and serial #.

Considering over 90% of all 5k users have build 110, I find it hard to equate build 110 with brickdom.

Lyndon
I'll send 'em your way. TIA

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:56 AM

I have a 5040 that worked flawlessly until the 5.0 upgrade. Then it began locking up constantly, usually while recording shows, but also while watching live TV. The red record light would remain on while the unit was on standby, and I'd have to do a soft reboot to get it responsive again.

I don't use the photo partition, screen saver, or myreplay, and I don't connect with a modem. I'm stubborn, so for a couple months I tried every solution I could find, including a factory reset, and even re-imaging my hard drive, didn't help.

I'm somewhat of a computer geek, and to me it seemed like the lockups were indicative of an over-heating problem. Usually, the lockups occurred while recording a long show or several shows back to back.

So, here's how I fixed my lockup problem. I took the case off and found a couple heat sinks attached to the mobo. When I carefully removed the aluminum heat sink I was surprised to see it was attached with what seemed to be something like double stick tape. I cleaned an area from the center of the heat sink (leaving enough tape to still attach it) and I applied a small amount of Artic Silver Ceramique thermal compound. I reattached the heat sinks and haven't had a lock-up since!

Coincidence, perhaps, but I really don't think so. I still have no idea why my lockups started only after the 5.0 software update, but I have a theory. Maybe the 5.0 update is more taxing on the hardware, perhaps because of improvements made to image quality?

I’m sure I voided my warranty (again), but if anyone else wants to attempt this fix I’d be curious if it works for you. :D
Old 09-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Lyndon-

How come only 90% and not 100% of 5K users are on 110 if you can't avoid the software download.

I'm in that 10% and stuck on 530451350.

MY SN: RTV5040J2CA0119564

My unit had been going to "Please Wait" after every nightly connection.
I went to manual 243 net connections on a weekly basis. Then, recently I read on this forum about multiple and varied rebooting.

The unit had been stopping at around 91% new software download. Now it completes the software download and the message appears that new software is available and will auto reboot in about 3 minutes, or I can do it later, or do it right now. Each of these 3 options results in the same outcome: permanent "Please Wait". The next reboot brings us back to square one.

Now what?

Lew
Old 09-13-2003, 11:06 AM

My 5060 running 110 locked up on last night's connection, the third Friday night/Saturday morning in a row. After rebooting after this happens, my Replay Guide loses the times set to record individual shows (as opposed to theme or repeating shows). If I select change record options and then just press done the time comes back. Is there any way to prevent these lock ups and the loss of Replay Guide info. I'll be away next weekend and I'm afraid the machine will lock up Friday night and since no one will be around to re-boot it that I'll miss anything set to record over the weekend.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by wolly
my Replay Guide loses the times set to record individual shows (as opposed to theme or repeating shows). If I select change record options and then just press done the time comes back. Is there any way to prevent these lock ups and the loss of Replay Guide info. I'll be away next weekend and I'm afraid the machine will lock up Friday night and since no one will be around to re-boot it that I'll miss anything set to record over the weekend.
I originally found this problem and it has been discussed at length in various posts and various things can help (see the extensive posts on modem lock up). In your case just unplug the modem before you leave for the w.e.

Tony
Old 09-15-2003, 11:00 AM

Just add me to list of those with regular lock-ups - I have had my refurbished 5040 unit since June (ethernet connect). Only in the last few weeks have I been getting regular lockups about every few days. The only difference that I can see between now and before lock-ups, is that I got pretty full on my disk while recording the US Open tennis on High quality. But the disk is no longer full. Don't know if or when I got most recent software update.

I always have to do a hard boot to get it cleared. And my unit is NOT in a cabinet. Never had this problem with my 3060.

Now I am trying not to leave the Replay on live TV but on a stopped recorded show - problem seems to be related to the live channel buffer (?).

Hope RTV folks can figure this one out because it is quite inconvenient....
Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM

I've got a refurbished 5040 that I purchased in May. It has worked fine until the last week or two. Now it locks up if I try to watch live TV for more than 30 minutes. I have tested this by warm rebooting the unit then tuning into a live channel. It will lock up every time between 30 and 40 minutes into watchin TV. If I only watch recorded programs locally or streamed from my other 5040, it works flawlessly. I'm hoping this is a result of the 110 build and that the next build corrects the problem.
Just to clarify:
My replay sits on it's own shelf below my televison. The compartment has an open front and back so ventilation is not a problem. I have a picture partition of 1GB that has never been used. I use ethernet to connect to the internet. I don't know when I received the 110 update, but I suspect it was within the last two weeks. As a workaround, we turn off the replay when we want to watch live tv and just watch regular unbuffered tv (shudder) and turn on the replay when we want to watch a recorded show.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:47 PM
rjj

My three 5040 refurbs have in general been doing pretty well......maybe on the average each machine would freeze once in a two week period. But last weekend, my wife accidentally dislodged one of the Replay's from it's admittedly unstable perch atop the TV. Since then, it experiences freezes within the hour while buffering live TV. Doesn't seem to be any problem with recording or playback, though. It seems unreasonable to me, that a fall would cause it to start experiencing the symptoms that many others have been having......unless it's somehow related to the general well-being of the hard drive. Any thoughts from the experts out there?? Thanks.

Roy
Old 09-15-2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rjj
... my wife accidentally dislodged one of the Replay's from it's admittedly unstable perch atop the TV. Since then, it experiences freezes within the hour while buffering live TV...
Roy
Previous poster (briggsbw) mentioned that his heat sinks appeared to double-stick-taped to the motherboard. Perhaps the fall dislodged the heat sink(s)? Just a thought... Of course, opening the box will void your warranty. But then again, the fall might have already done that!

Robbie
Old 09-15-2003, 05:14 PM

Liked: 14
I too have the lock-up issue after about an hour of live-tv.
This is my second replay, a 5060, running 5.0 110, ehternet,
1g for photos, default screensaver, no recorded shows or photos on it yet, totally stock, and is in a well ventilated area. I use it to stream shows from the other replay and for watching live tv.

My other replay, a 5080, performs flawlessly.

This is an extremeley annoying hasstle. Watching live-tv and being able to pause it is a KEY feature for me and I should not have to jump hurdles and do anything extra for this feature.

Tech support is not that helpful. They had me do a 'restore to factory defaults', among other things, to no avail.

So, question is, do I return to Amazon (I'll have to ask replay for a refund on my lifetime subscription) and get a new one from them, get an RMA and get a new one through replaytv, or wait until the next software patch?

I wish DNNA were a little more forthcoming on what this problem is all about. Is it software, hardware, or both? When is the next patch going to be available? What percentage of replay 5ks are effected by this?

I tell you, if my first replay unit had not so been good to me, I would have switched to Tivo forsure. I don't expect replays to be around much longer if they continue to suffer from such poor quality issues as this. I love my original replay and really hope DNNA pulls it together soon.

Greg

Greg
Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 PM
rjj

Well, FWIW, I just got off the phone with Replay Tech Support (J.R. Dixon, in Texas). They seem convinced that all of the live freezing problems are software related, and will be resolved in the next software release (Alcatraz). They don't have any idea as to what triggers the problem, but they feel that it is not at all unusual to quickly go from a unit that doesn't freeze, to one that does. Finally, he indicated that rollout for Alcatraz is expectd to occur in the last week of the month, at the rate of 5000 per day.

Roy
Old 09-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback Roy. For me it looks like Amazon is now out of stock on my model, returning the unit there is less likely. Since I have alot of time on the warrenty left and tech support has indicated that Alcatraz will fix the problem and will rollout soon, guess I'll wait for the software update. Sounds like I'd get a software update before an RMA return anyway.

Too bad support is not authorized to give us a Beta version of Alcatraz. I'd sign an nda right now if they could!

Greg
Old 09-15-2003, 09:07 PM

I am not sure this would apply to the replay since I don't know the structure of the replay software and where it is located.

A year or two back Tivo had the same lockup problem with their series 1 standalone units. They seemed to occur right after a software upgrade as well.

One explanation had to do with where the software was installed on the drive. Supposedly, the upgrade was installed on a previously unused part of the drive while the current software was left in place.

This new part of the drive was suspected of being in questionable condition on some machines, thereby causing the problems. A factory rewrite on the existing drive or a new drive usually solved the problem.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:50 AM

don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but Im getting this weird lockup problem. It happens during the nightly download. As soon as it gets done with the channel guide it freezes in either "Transferring additional information" or "Checking for new software". I have to keep unplugging the unit. Ive been on the phone with replay 3 times so far. Here's how it went:

#1 - A nice girl in the India office. Had me reboot the modem by unplugging it and the power for a minute and then replugging it. Then I forced a net connect and all was ok.

#2 - This was 2 days after the first call. Finally got a guy in the states, Texas actually, told me it was a software problem and I should force a net connect and the unplug the unit as soon as it got to "Transferring additional information". Then replug it and force another net connect. The unit responded by downloading a new software, which took over 30 minutes, and completed successfully.

#3 - Another nice girl in India. Had me clear out my input settings which only made the unit download channel information. She wasn't real helpful.

Anyways, after all this, Im still getting lockups during the downloading. If anyone has a line on this Id appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJON2121
[b]
One explanation had to do with where the software was installed on the drive. Supposedly, the upgrade was installed on a previously unused part of the drive while the current software was left in place.
That's entirely possible, however not quite as predictable in the case of the ReplayTV.

TiVo allocates separate hard drive partitions for its alternate operating system loads, whereas ReplayTV puts them both in the same partition. So, whereas on the TiVo, it's pretty predictable that if there are bad sectors at a given spot, it'll affect trying to boot one particular partition, Replay is much less deterministic. You could hit it trying to boot a different OS, or you could hit it when your channel guide grows or some similar event happens.

Still, I wouldn't discount the possibility that this is an issue with some hanging Replays. It could well be.

I just doubt that it's the cause of all the hanging that people have been experiencing.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards