5.0: Lock-Ups - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got 5.0 yesterday on my 5160. When I woke up this morning, the unit was locked-up. It won't respond to any remote buttons. It was displaying the splash screen (you know, "press Channel Guide for... Press Replay Guide for..."), and I could turn the unit on and off with the power button, but still locked-up. I ended up doing a warm boot (holding power button for 10 seconds) and it came back OK.

This evening after work, I come home and find it locked-up on the "show Stopped" screen that I left it with in the morning. It's currently recording something (it wasn't in the morning), so I'm waiting until it finishes to re-boot again.

Anyone else having lock-up problems with 5.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 04:03 PM

I too have had this PROBLEM with 5.0. It has happened about 10 or 15 times.

I was told that I should set the unit back to it's Factory Default Settings and the problem should/may go away.

So yesterday when I got home from work I watched as much television as I could before resetting my unit.

It has been 12 hours and no lockups! ;) Let's hope that the problems are a thing of the past and that while I am away for 2 weeks that my unit is trouble free and records ALL of my season/series finales!!!

-John
Old 05-14-2003, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've got more TV recorded then I can watch in the immediate future. Guess I better give DVArchive 2.1 a good workout to get the good stuff off, and then I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:04 PM

Yeah I had a lockup today too. I had a show on pause for about an hour and then went back to play it and its was locked up. And while im on the 5.0 subject does anyone notice that you no longer have the option of prioritizing recordings. That totaly sucks. I can no longer ensure that a particular show is being recorded when there is a conflict. What gives?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by stangboy68
And while im on the 5.0 subject does anyone notice that you no longer have the option of prioritizing recordings. That totaly sucks. I can no longer ensure that a particular show is being recorded when there is a conflict. What gives?
??

There has been very little change in the functionality of recording although the terminology has changed.

If you schedule a show that conflicts it tells you and you choose (prioritize). If a schedule change occurs and shows conflict, the guide shows you which show won't record (gray dots). This prioritization follows the old rules, oldest created channel wins. If you highlight the gray-dottted show and say "record" you can change the priority by "record THIS show". If a theme conflicts with a replay channel, you can choose "record shows which do not conflict", which is basically the same as "non-guaranteed" theme.

Tony
Old 05-15-2003, 07:11 AM

I've had about three lockups since I upgraded to 5.0 on Monday. Each time, I had to warm boot the machine to get it to respond to the remote.

For now, I'll live with it and see if the problems continue. I would like to know if the factory reset actually works before I resort to that.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:34 AM

My unit was upgraded on Monday, and it locked up for the first time last night. Wasn't even using it in any unusual way, no DVArchives talking to it and it wasn't recording anything. I was simply watching a recorded program, about 10 minutes in it stuttered once and like a second later it completely froze, and nothing from the remote caused a response other than the power button which turned the display output on and off but the blue light stayed on. I couldn't hear any drive activity at all, so it's unlike times with v4.5 where I had too many downloads going with record / playback and the unit bogged down to the point of an automatic reboot and I could hear the drive thrashing like mad.

The unit's power button didn't respond like the remote's, but holding it down for several seconds did reboot the machine, and it came back up okay. Will see if that happens again as I've got way too many programs on this drive to be willing to reset it just yet.

I didn't try re-playing this recording in case it was some corruption in the file, I just deleted it. If it happens again maybe I'll see if it is specific to the clip.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

bruce, any similarities in when the units were locking up?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:43 AM

I had a lockup when I tried to do 411 Zones while Live TV was playing. Could turn picture on and off using remote (ReplayTV button) but blue power light would not go out. Did a hard boot to fix.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:06 AM

I've had similar problems also since the 5.0 upgrade. It seems that sometimes the unit (5060) will lose its IP address, and I have to reboot, and release / renew the network information. I have tried to remedy this situation by giving it a static IP address, but when I try to do that, the unit locks up again, and I have to go back to dynamically assigned. I will try a different variation tonight to see if I can get a static IP address assigned to it, and hopefully that will fix the network problems at least.

If I recall, the RTV people did request that those of us that signed up for the Me First program come here to report problems. Have they been addressing any of them?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:07 AM

I did just get my second lockup, same end result but slightly different path to get there. Again no external activity (DVA or playback from other units), nothing recording, but this time I was fast-forwarding a recorded show at 16x and hit the end of the show.

It tried to display the end-of-show screen, but instead only managed to display the first line of text with no background (just the last video frame). Assuming it just didn't render the screen properly I hit the Replay Guide button, the text disappared but that was it, unit locked, same behavior as I described in my earlier post. Once again it seems to be back to normal after holding down the power button.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:47 AM

Not really any similarities that I can see.

First time it locked up right after the upgrade to 5.0. Before 5.0, the entire reboot process would typically took up to 20 minutes (not sure if that's normal, but it only happened a couple times in 6 months) and after the upgrade, it was stuck on the big ReplayTV logo for an hour before I rebooted it by holding in the power button.

The second time it locked up, I was in the middle of a recording and I tried to stop the recording, but it didn't respond. Since it wouldn't respond, I had to reboot again. There were some strange results in the recording. See this thread:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=259227

Last night, I wanted to check on the progress of a show being sent to me. After watching a show, the replay was going through a slideshow screen saver and I hit the replay-guide button on the remote. The screen only partially refreshed. It was part screen saver and part last frame of the most recently show. No response, so I rebooted again.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had similar problems a few weeks ago (4040 not on 5.0) and it turned out that my dns servers had changed. I was using a manually assigned IP address/ netmask and had put in the dns servers by hand. My ISP changed there dns servers and the replay was locking up constantly. It was nearly exactly like what everyone here is describing. Check your network settings and see if 5.0 goofed something. I went ahead and switched to dhcp so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 AM

There was another lock up last night.

When I got home I saw that the recording light was on. I checked and it was stuck on the replay guide menu. The sound from the video was coming through, but I had no picture other than the menu. The only remote button that did anything was the power button. I tried two different remotes, just to rule that out.

Fifteen minutes after the current recording was supposed to be complete, the record light still was not out, so I rebooted. After the machine came back, I checked the replay guide. It did record while it was locked up, but the guide reported 1hour 15 minutes were recorded (the total time that the record light was on), but in fact only 1 hour was recorded.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a bug that needs to be fixed. The strange thing is. I have this lock-up bug on one of my 5000's only after the update. but on my 2nd unit it has been lock-up free and operating like a champ on 5.0

I been told DNNA software team is looking into it ;)

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
Old 05-16-2003, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I took j.freiman's advice and just did the Factory Reset. I'll let you all know the status in the coming days...
Old 05-16-2003, 07:59 AM

I've had 3 lock ups and one show go missing. After each lockup, I've had to hold the power button in to reset my 5080.

The first was after I jumped to a channel that I don't get (something like HBO probably).

The second was stranger. Replay started recording a 30 minute show at 11:30 AM and continued recording for 8 hours. Tried to stop it, and the box was locked up but still recording. After resetting the box, I then had those 8 hours of recorded matterial.

The last time was after my wife tried to upload photos using DVArchive 2.1 (which also crashed <wink>). Slideshow was running, and kept running, but when I hit a button on the remote, it was locked up again. *sigh*

Then this morning, we discovered that one of our recorded shows was missing. We assume the replay did it, but we don't have any evidence that someone didn't accidently delete it by stepping on the remote or something. :-)
Old 05-16-2003, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SR94
Well, I took j.freiman's advice and just did the Factory Reset. I'll let you all know the status in the coming days...
I'm not going to tell you "not to bother" -- but for me it didn't help.

-John
Old 05-16-2003, 09:29 AM

I am having the daily lockups on my 5160 too. It has happened sometime throughout a 24 hour period for the past 4 days. I am factory resetting and seeing what happens. My 5040 has not seen this problem, although the modem connection and net connections do not seem to be working on it. I cannot make a valid connection since upgrading to 5.0. Should I factory reset that too?
Old 05-16-2003, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I did the Factory Reset thing also. Made things worst. Two days later my unit was doing the Reboot dance of death. Since I voided my my warranty months back. I place a new image on the HD and i'm working fine again. Still waiting to have the 5.0 sent to me again.

BTW: My other 540 just loves 5.0 never a lock-up ever. It just keeps running.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freckles
I am having the daily lockups on my 5160 too. It has happened sometime throughout a 24 hour period for the past 4 days. I am factory resetting and seeing what happens. My 5040 has not seen this problem, although the modem connection and net connections do not seem to be working on it. I cannot make a valid connection since upgrading to 5.0. Should I factory reset that too?
freckles the same thing was going on with one of my two units. Other then some lock-ups the first thing that give me a clue something was wrong was when I saw I only had two days of listing left in the unit. My other 5040 was connecting everyday an had almost two weeks worth of listings. Between the lock-ups and not connecting with the mother-ship. I did a Factory Reset. It stopped the Lock-ups for a few days but it never would Auto Connect again. Then the Lock-ups came back. And with Half a day of listings left I did ANOTHER Factory Reset. At that point the poor Black sheep of my 3 ReplayTV family said the hell with it and gone into the over & over Reboot hell.

* pre 5.0 this unit was problem free for 6 months

I don't get it. My other 5040 works great with 5.0

Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Jones, were both of your units on build 135 before the update? or, was was on 132 and the other on 135? If you email me both serials, I can check.

Freckles, under Menu, Messages, what are the reasons listed for not connecting? Can you also email me your serial # so I can see what version you were running before?

Thanks.

Lyndon
lallydice@digitalnetworksna.com
Old 05-16-2003, 11:54 AM

I have also gotten at least two lock ups since getting 5.0. Last Thursday (8 May), during CSI, it locked and recorded 5:54. I watched to the end of Without a Trace and it was fine (other than not having discretely recorded the two shows).

Yesterday (15 May), It happened again. My wife and I were watching recorded shows when we stopped, it was recording the 8:00 CSI. We left the unit unattended for a while and it went to the "new features" ad. After a few minutes, it went to the swirl screen. Since we were going to atch in bed, we just turned off the TV and left it. This morning, it was still recording. After I (soft) rebooted, I went to the R Guide and it showed 12:12 recorded for my 8:00 CSI. I have not watched it to verify whether the 9:00 CSI and Without a Trace are in the 12:12 of material.

Steve Shernicoff
Old 05-16-2003, 12:22 PM

well ive got a 5060 and im about to reimage the drive mainly because i dont have the time to deal with an rma muchless worry about actually getting it back no offense meant so im going to image it back to 4.5 when it was working right

Toshiba Custom Series 51" HD Moniter
xeveniah@bellsouth.net
Old 05-16-2003, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
[b]Jones, were both of your units on build 135 before the update? or, was was on 132 and the other on 135? If you email me both serials, I can check.

Thanks.

Lyndon
Lyndon,

My info has been sent.

Thank you

Old 05-16-2003, 01:39 PM

Got 5.0 on Monday night on my 5080, so far, I have not experienced the problems of reboots or lookups on my unit...am I one of the lucky ones?

If something changes, I will post!

~Tom
Old 05-16-2003, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Most are having no problems at all. I just happen to be one of the UNLUCKY few. As usual :D

Old 05-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon

Freckles, under Menu, Messages, what are the reasons listed for not connecting? Can you also email me your serial # so I can see what version you were running before?

Thanks.

Lyndon
lallydice@digitalnetworksna.com
I just bought the 5040 less than 2 weeks ago from Best Buy, I will get the info when I get home and mail it. I did a factory reset on both the 5160 and 5040 and changed the ethernet cable on my 5040. I never tested the cables' validity, but it did have a link light. Since the factory reset on both and the cable change, both units appear to be happy. It has been a few hours and they can both do a net connect. The 5160 always could, it had the lock-up problem. I will test the modem connection again too since the factory reset. Not sure if it was the cable or the reset. Sorry for doing a few changes at once.

On the 5040, I do not know the initial software rev, but when I bought it, it upgraded to 1350, and then a few days later the 5.0 software was released and grabbed that too.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:54 PM

ive tried the factory reset 5x sofar didnt do any good for me and i cant remember but i think it was a january software release

Toshiba Custom Series 51" HD Moniter
xeveniah@bellsouth.net
Old 05-16-2003, 02:13 PM

I guess it's time to chime in and share the misery-
Received 5.0 Tuesday, 5/13. Had 3 lock-ups and one RTV initiated re-boot. All seemingly under different circumstances. Once while recording, once while sitting at the new "ad". Once just at the Reply Guide. The self-initiated re-boot happened when I started to play a show from DVA, stopped it and tried to start another one. I haven't tried to duplicate that scenario, yet. Prior to 5.0, if I tried to that same sequence, I would get a warning "Unable to play the selected show" (or soemthing to that effect). I could just clear the message and try a second time and it would always start.

<sigh> Why do I love thee so?